OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:54 am 

Bosc is very fond of the number 4. ;)

Winnipeg and Vancouver winning in 4 and Edmonton and Toronto losing in 4 would be right of up there with my identical twins fantasy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:49 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

Fogghorn wrote:
Bosc is very fond of the number 4. ;)

Winnipeg and Vancouver winning in 4 and Edmonton and Toronto losing in 4 would be right of their with my identical twins fantasy.

:dance: :beer: :viking:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:11 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Jay calls the Rangers sweep. Not sure if we should give Bosc credit for also saying it, since he called for all sweeps. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:23 am 
King of Men

Wanted to stop by to give some props to the Canucks who played one turd of a game until Old Besser picked them up off the mat in the 3rd and squeaked out a victory in OT. They are facing a lot of adversity in this series and finding ways to win.

WTF has gone wrong with Hellybuck? Total sieve in the playoffs! Jets have no answer for the offensive minded Avalanche.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:53 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
Wanted to stop by to give some props to the Canucks who played one turd of a game until Old Besser picked them up off the mat in the 3rd and squeaked out a victory in OT. They are facing a lot of adversity in this series and finding ways to win.

WTF has gone wrong with Hellybuck? Total sieve in the playoffs! Jets have no answer for the offensive minded Avalanche.

I haven't watched any Jets-Avs games but have been pretty shocked looking at the scores. I really expected the Jets to shut down the Avs offense but they seem to be scoring at will.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:38 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

harmfuljays wrote:

I just read online that Connor Hellebuyck has allowed the most goals and also made the most saves of any goalie in this year's playoffs.

There's hockey for ya.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:22 am 
King of Men

I did not expect that out of Tampa......well maybe I should say I thought both teams would be on more of an equal footing and that the series would be more competitive. Florida made it look relatively easy which should be quite scary for their opponent next round.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:55 am 
Big in Japan

After two first round exits, it's the end of Tampa's dynasty run. They can make the core younger by letting Stammer walk (to MSL and Vinny's Habs) and praying for a Vasy comeback that hasn't happened yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:26 pm 
Big in Japan

If Auston Matthews can't go tonight with the season on the line, he better be really injured/sick.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:54 am 
Big in Japan

Real poor showing for the Kings as the Oilers dump them in five.

Doughty might recover as a depth guy, but as the main guy on a defence, he's toast. Kopitar is aging a little more gracefully, but was no match against McD.

I would imagine this costs Rob Blake his job. He sped up the reset to give Anze and Drew one more chance, and now the identity of this team is pretty messed up. Fiala is fine, but they need to seriously consider buying out PL Dubois this summer while it's still affordable. He didn't get the ice-time he was used to in Winnipeg and he faded fast. Boston probably still wants him, but at a discount.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 11:10 am 

E.L. wrote:
Real poor showing for the Kings as the Oilers dump them in five.

Doughty might recover as a depth guy, but as the main guy on a defence, he's toast. Kopitar is aging a little more gracefully, but was no match against McD.

I would imagine this costs Rob Blake his job. He sped up the reset to give Anze and Drew one more chance, and now the identity of this team is pretty messed up. Fiala is fine, but they need to seriously consider buying out PL Dubois this summer while it's still affordable. He didn't get the ice-time he was used to in Winnipeg and he faded fast. Boston probably still wants him, but at a discount.

Blake was up against a wall when he took the job, he had to rebuild on the fly while keeping an old balls core in place, and it led to some real difficulties. Still, he made some uproariously bad decisions, like throwing a lot of money and term at Cal Petersen thinking he was the goalie of the future, only to have him totally implode not long after. That then forced him to turn to a 36-year-old Cam Talbot as a starter and, well, that went about as well as could be expected. But the final nail in the coffin might be betting on Pierre-Luc Dubois. Turns out even when he got literally everything he wanted, he still went out and played like a listless slug. The season was on the line and Hiller stowed his dumb ass on the fourth line.

Just for entertainment's sake I hope they hand the keys to Marc Bergevin. Holy shit that would be hilarious, especially because you know Bergy's gonna be sporting sparkly designer suits and $500 Ray-Bans at every presser.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 11:22 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:

Just for entertainment's sake I hope they hand the keys to Marc Bergevin. Holy shit that would be hilarious, especially because you know Bergy's gonna be sporting sparkly designer suits and $500 Ray-Bans at every presser.

I wonder if they name Bergevin GM and give the president/real guy in charge title to his best buddy Pat Brisson. This could finally be the gig that pries him away from agent life.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 4:34 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I wonder if they name Bergevin GM and give the president/real guy in charge title to his best buddy Pat Brisson. This could finally be the gig that pries him away from agent life.

If that happens then I'm calling it: Sean Couturier for Pierre-Luc Dubois. 1-for-1.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:54 am 
King of Men

Came by to congrat and eat some crow on the Nucks for moving on. Somehow they overcame without a functional Pettersen and finding a gem in a 3rd string goalie. The playoffs are where heroes get made. Kind of a shame we have to have a battle of Canada next round.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 10:13 am 

Big Zee is possibly even a bigger story than Silovs. If he plays as well in the next round as he did in the first I think he'll be going over $5 mil on his next contract. Kinda middling regular season but when the whistles start getting tucked away he becomes pretty impactful. Both literally and figuratively.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:53 am 

V H F wrote:
Western Conference
Dallas (C1) vs Vegas (WC2) Dallas in 7
Winnipeg (C2) vs Colorado (C3) Colorado in 7
Vancouver (P1) vs Nashville (WC1) Vancouver in 6
Edmonton (P2) vs Los Angeles (P3) Los Angeles in 6

Eastern Conference
Florida (A1) vs Tampa Bay (WC1) Florida in 7
Boston (A2) vs Toronto (A3) Boston in 5
Rangers (M1) vs Washington (WC2) Rangers in 6
Carolina (M2) vs Islanders (M3) Carolina in 5

Managed to pick 7 of 8 series winners in round 1… I should have known better to pick LA. 2nd round will be more challenging.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:15 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Big Zee is possibly even a bigger story than Silovs. If he plays as well in the next round as he did in the first I think he'll be going over $5 mil on his next contract. Kinda middling regular season but when the whistles start getting tucked away he becomes pretty impactful. Both literally and figuratively.

Signing a player to big money after a surprisingly good playoff run almost never works out well. See: Bickell, Bryan and Pisani, Fernando.

Of course both those guys came down with debilitating physical conditions (Bickell got MS, Pisani Ulcerative Colitis) but neither guy was more than a reasonably good depth guy before those streaks happened.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:15 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Signing a player to big money after a surprisingly good playoff run almost never works out well. See: Bickell, Bryan and Pisani, Fernando.

Of course both those guys came down with debilitating physical conditions (Bickell got MS, Pisani Ulcerative Colitis) but neither guy was more than a reasonably good depth guy before those streaks happened.

I agree, that playoff performers often get paid. And probably shouldn't as anyone can have a good two month period of play........we see that in the regular season. So the question is did the player just have a lucky streak or are they genuinely better for playoff hockey. I've been saying the Canucks D and big Zee in particular are built for the playoffs since February. Cole, Chaos Giraffe, Scoucy, Zee all take more penalties than most, in the playoffs they just blow the whistle less. That plays to the strengths of big bodied dmen. So I don't think Zee is actually any better, just the game management style suits him better.