OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:14 am 
King of Men

Boring.....is this the same Florida team that beat everyone else? Doesn't look like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:46 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

harmfuljays wrote:
Boring.....is this the same Florida team that beat everyone else? Doesn't look like it.

Too much time off. Every team that rides an emotional high like they have does poorly after a long layoff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:21 pm 
OTP Historian

Eichel moving his head might have saved his damn life. Wow. What a clean hit by Tkachuk. However, he's been losing it this series.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:31 am 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

Too much time off. Every team that rides an emotional high like they have does poorly after a long layoff.

Yep that is what I was thinking as well.....too much time off and Bob cooled.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:56 am 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/06/golden ... k-mid-play

In Game 2 the Vegas equipment manager gave Stone a new stick in time for him to skate up and assist on a goal. People are saying he deserves an assist. Well done or just doing his job? I think they should call him Squire, since he re-armed a knight. And it raises the question - shouldn't the Golden Knights' home rink really be a Medieval Times atmosphere? It could be fun.

And I linked the above story not just for the video, but so that some of you could also read it and wonder how much USA Today hates hockey that both the author and editor actually think hockey sticks in 2023 are made of "thin slabs of flexible wood".

And props to Stone for coming back and high-fiving the equipment manager for a job well done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Your 2023 Stanley Cup Champions: the Vegas Golden Knights.

Original misfit Jonathan Marchessault wins the Conn Smythe award.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:45 am 

6 years in the league. Hell of an accomplishment, even if the modern expansion draft rules make it easier to build a competitive team. Pressure's on Seattle now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:59 am 
King of Men

Thank goodness that boring affair is over. I guess Florida just peaked too early. 9-3 give me a break......this is probably the first year in many I didn't even watch the cup presentation.

Props to Cassidy and whoever else I guess. My care factor wasn't particularly large on this one. I enjoyed the WJCs and WC's better than the last couple rounds of the playoffs.

Moving on now!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:05 am 
OTP Historian

Really cool touch to start the originals by Cassidy.

This team started its journey on a tragic note as well, just days after the mass shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:27 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Go figure, Dale Tallon's insanely spiteful and stupid move bites his former team square in the ass.

Good for the Knights. IMO they were not gifted a good team by the league, the rest of the league just didn't know what they were doing with the new expansion draft rules, they wised up big-time with Seattle. Regardless, the Knights left me a bit humbled because I thought their overly ambitious ways would lead to their demise.

I don't mind the Panthers so much as an organization but I'm glad guys like Gudas, Bennett, and Tkachuk won't get rings. In the end, the Cats' rough-and-tumble approach did them in once they met up against a team that could make them pay on the power play.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:13 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I was all in on the Panthros so as is typical of my teams in the final, they blew chunks the entire way... Good on the Knights - they were easily the better team overall - too much speed, skill, and defensive acumen for the Cinderella 8th seed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:42 am 

The Knights were able to accomplish in 6 years what the Canuck's have never done, and no Canadian team has done in 30 years. Even their 6 year record is superior to any 6 year time frame in the Nucks 47 year history. Hell it might be better than any 6 year span for any Canadian team over the last 30 years. That can only be due to one reason, bad management of Canadian teams. I didn't think much of George McPhee when he was with the Nucks, or the big cheese with the Capitals but got to give him credit for what he did in Vegas.

It just seems like Canadian teams are always in a hurry to get to the playoffs, cause as they always say, "anything can happen once they are there." The argument is that Canadian fans will not tolerate a long rebuild. I don't buy that, I think ownership knows they can keep the stadiums full with a barely playoff contending team, it doesn't take much to pacify a Canadian fan base. So they are not willing to plan to be out of the playoffs and do 3-5 years at the bottom and rebuild properly. Always in a hurry and they just end up being mediocre. You have to build with the idea that you want to have a 4-5 year window of opportunity, where the team is going to be one of the top 5 teams in the league every year. Then if you get a bit of luck in one or two of those years you end up with a cup or two like TB and Colorado.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/what-canuc ... nights-win

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:54 pm 

I don't know how relevant this still is, but when Craig Ludwig came to the Isles in 1990 he said he'd never play for another Canadian team because of the pay vs exchange rate. Does the exchange rate now get taken into account with the salary cap? Seems like it would, but this is the NHL and they always seem to fuck something major up.

I feel like Canadians are more patient than American fans. NYers certainly. I mean, none of the Canadian teams have won in 30+ years yet the buildings are almost always full. You guys will watch shitty teams. :lol:

I'd think owners would want to win, and with the Cap, they all have to spend pretty close to each other, so it's not like Canadian owners can really cheap out on the roster salary. Do they do it elsewhere? Scouting? Minor league teams?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:22 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I don't know how relevant this still is, but when Craig Ludwig came to the Isles in 1990 he said he'd never play for another Canadian team because of the pay vs exchange rate. Does the exchange rate now get taken into account with the salary cap? Seems like it would, but this is the NHL and they always seem to fuck something major up.

I feel like Canadians are more patient than American fans. NYers certainly. I mean, none of the Canadian teams have won in 30+ years yet the buildings are almost always full. You guys will watch shitty teams. :lol:

I'd think owners would want to win, and with the Cap, they all have to spend pretty close to each other, so it's not like Canadian owners can really cheap out on the roster salary. Do they do it elsewhere? Scouting? Minor league teams?

The exchange rate is no longer a problem. Tax rate is a factor in acquiring free agents. Generally though, FA's may make the difference between winning the cup or not. However the core of the team players that put them in serious contention are build with drafts and astute cap management. Obviously Vegas is an exception as they are not built from the draft up but they have done a great job managing their cap space.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:22 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

Players on Canadian teams are paid their equivalent salary. 8x$10M is US so they'd get $10M US in Cdn dollars.

Also, they have this:

Quote:
Financial advisers recommend their high-income clients, such as professional athletes, use a vehicle called a Retirement Compensation Arrangement (RCA) to help offset high income taxes. In basic terms, an RCA allows an individual to sock away up to half of their salary each year and delay accessing it until retirement, when the individual may well be living somewhere else and paying a far lower tax rate.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investi ... -canadian/

And given that they pay state rates in the places where they play on the road for half of the season, the actual disadvantage that everyone loves to claim ends up being a lot less than nearly every fan makes it out to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:46 pm 

Thanks for the info.