OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:15 pm 
King of Men

I figured this series was going to be a barn burner......so it needs its own thread.

Double OT last night....I certainly wasn't awake....but

I chose this clip because everyone else is too busy crying about it......beautiful hit....sorry Pavelski once again appears to be on the wrong end but absolutely beautiful. Initially, the hit was so violent that everyone assumed there was something to penalize so they called a 5 min major.......which turned out to be no penalty and then the review which is no suspension. All right choices IMO.

This is still hockey and its within all the parameters. If this isn't the violence level the league wants they should probably consider removing body checking completely.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Definitely the chippiest of the games so far. Once Dumba took off Pavelski's head it was on.

Can't believe I've watched Suter for years as part of the Preds, Wylde, and Stars and didn't realize what a dirty little fucker he is. Takes after his uncle Gary more than I thought. The blind side cross check to Kaprizov's side should earn him a suspension but we know it won't.

And sure enough, the review process that they put in place because the refs are soooooooo scared of being accused of deciding a playoff game (even though the decide games all the time when they put the whistles away) stemming from the incident where Pavelski got clobbered by a cheap shot--and to be clear, it was indeed a cheap shot that deserved a five-minute major, they just gave it to the wrong player--takes away a potential major after Pavelski gets clobbered by a cheap shot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:36 pm 
King of Men

I do find this most ironic and strange that this once again involves Pavelski and his head hitting the ice. I obviously didn't find much wrong with either of these plays.....even though they were both rather chippy, cheap or whatever we are calling anything that results in the injury of another player nowadays. As I said if the NHL doesn't like it then they need to remove body checking. Otherwise you will have players that continue to get injured as a result. Clearly, they analyzed this and it was approved as a by product of the game.

NBA is more brutal nowadays. Some WWE shit right there!

When I think cheap...I think this:

or this

and definitely this:

Damn Bruins! So maybe i have to lower my standards!

Which were set here (still one of my fav videos with Lyndon Byers...don't pressure me!):

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:49 pm 
King of Men

Ok have to derail this and add some cheap ass Canucks here. :lol: We may need another thread....

Cancelled Mike Milbury with some great comments in the background.

A lot of this stuff has been removed from the game......but I had a feeling if it were to be in any series it would be in this Dallas/Minny one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:13 pm 
King of Men

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:23 pm 

Dumba's hit is technically perfect. Shoulder to shoulder contact first, right foot in the air, left food barely in contact with the ice. Timing was excellent and exactly what world class athlete's should do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:47 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Ehhhhh I didn't like that hit (and I am no fan of Pavelski at all) but I totally understand why some may disagree. I'll admit it's right on that line.

The hit way back when in the Vegas/San Jose series that left him bleeding out of his ear was completely out of line though. Cody Eakin essentially ignored the puck drop and went for a high cross check instead, that didn't cause the majority of the damage but it was deserving of a major. The fact that they mistakenly gave it to Paul Stastny instead doesn't erase the fact that it was a cheap shot that has no place in the game. I certainly don't want hitting taken out of the game but I wish the NHL would actually do what they say they're going to do and get rid of cross checking. That's not hockey, and it's a gutless play that has resulted in countless long-term back issues for a lot of the game's stars.

This one is gonna be uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly either way. Both sides have no issue with gooning it up, especially their coaches.