OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:27 pm 
King of Men

Wow..what a game! Big props to the Panthers with the B's at full strength. Cliffy was f'n terrible....and responsible for 3 goals. I don't expect to see him next game. Game 7 Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:03 am 
King of Men

People crying and complaining about Ulmark......not sure why. He's been great all year and its a ride or die situation.

The solution for this seems fairly simple...don't let Cliffy anywhere near the ice for this game.

Montgomery has been a story this year but putting Cliffy in there last game is totally on him. Gryz may not be flashy but he's safe (+46 on the year, 2nd in the NHL).

Pasta did show up last game so a little more of Pasta and Orlov and less Cliffy/Orr-lov should be enough. Back to team basics gents! You've got this!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:51 am 
Big in Japan

I can't believe the Bs let the Cats back in this. I thought it was going to be a walk. Tkachuk is a beast.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:34 pm 
OTP Historian

What a game. When the Panthers 4th line got that goal against the Bergeron-Bertuzzi-Marchand line, I figured that was it and the Panthers were taking it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:01 pm 
King of Men

Ouch. Well you know this is the Stanley Cup playoffs. Props to Florida who were excellent in this series. Watch out what you wish for Leafs fans!

Post Mortem to follow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:09 pm 
Big in Japan

Wow. Just wow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:59 pm 

My fault, I hopped on the band wagon. Sorry Harmy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:38 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Lou rises from the dead.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:13 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

To think the Isles had Carter Verhaeghe in their system and never really gave him a chance is quite aggravating.

Sorry Harmy. That sucks. Fun series to watch though.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:33 am 
King of Men

oh no apologies needed. A great regular season run but that's just what it was. IMO Montgomery and the team got a little too loose. Perhaps a case of drinking too much of their own kool-aid.

Putting in Swayman for game 7 was a wrong move. Ulmark earned that start. But at least Cliffy was not on the ice.

Big changes coming in Boston. If that was the end of Patrice and Krejci which I believe it probably was. Thanks for the memories. You guys should have had a few more cups.

Can't take anything away from the Panthers. This series should have been over several times and they just wouldn't accept it (The Flames need this grit... :roll: ).

I guess all I have now is hoping for an EDM/TOR final and dreaming of a line with Marchand, Bertuzzi and Frederic. My liver appreciates the loss!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:58 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

A herniated disc? Fuuuuuck. No way were the Bruins going on a deep run with that. I've had a herniated disc before and no pain I've ever had before or after it has even come close. I could barely walk, let alone skate. Even sitting in a car was pure agony.

Thing is, the analytics folks pointed out a vulnerability in the Bruins. When 37 was on the ice during the regular season, the Bruins completely and totally dominated. When he wasn't on, they actually didn't have great underlying numbers, but the depth players simply could not miss the net, their shooting % was just insane (see: Frederic, Trent). If Bergeron stopped going into God Mode and/or that depth scoring dried up, Boston was in huge trouble. Turns out, both things happened. Ullmark letting one major fuckup unravel him did not help matters.

That said, there is nothing the Bruins could have done that would have been the difference between this and a Stanley Cup. Every championship run in any sport at any level is helped along by more than a little bit of luck. Bruins actually had quite a bit of it until the very end, at which point it went completely and totally wrong. Management, coaches, and players deserve all the credit for the greatest regular season in NHL history, but in the end it simply did not translate to the postseason. It happens quite a bit. The Prez winner hasn't won the Stanley Cup since, what, 2010? That's insane.

Given how Bergeron exited the ice last night, I think he's done. I also think Krejci is likely out as well. A major retool of sorts is probably happening.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:27 pm 
Old Man of the Post

This series was must-watch TV in my house. What a terrific series - after Game 4, the Bs looked scary dominant and I thought the Cats were done for but they clawed back. Kudos to them and a great series.

I can see why the Panthers paid a small ransom to acquire Tkachuk - he was the big difference-maker when it mattered.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:00 pm 
King of Men

ouch.......yeah I would imagine that's it for Patrice and David.

Its Pasta time.

I couldn't help but watch this series and think of what the Flames lost out on/gave up on. I thought Sam Bennett was also excellent in this series.

Big changes in store.

Meanwhile the Panthers and their 5 season ticket holders forbid sales to Canadians! Take that Leafs!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:53 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

harmfuljays wrote:

Meanwhile the Panthers and their 5 season ticket holders forbid sales to Canadians! Take that Leafs!

That's big in FL. Tampa has restricted sales to credit cards based outside FL for a few years' worth of playoffs. I think they started that like 10 years ago. Nice way of stacking the home crowd. Fuckers.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:08 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

David Krejci says he's either playing for the Bruins next year or he's done. No Czech League this time.