OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:10 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Also...hey Jon, you once scored a playoff OT goal to clinch a series with SEVEN skaters on the ice, so quitcherbitchin'.

Isles fans have been screaming KARMA since the goal happened. I don't recall whining about them having too many on the ice at that time. I hope I didn't. It's a play that happens 50 times/game by all teams. The guys behind the play aren't part of the play, unless they're interfering with a would-be defender rushing back. That wasn't the scenario either time, so they're both good goals.

Prep for the next game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:19 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Cooper kinda/sorta apologized today so I would not be surprised if the league had a brief talk with either him or Brisebois or Vinik to tell him to ramp down the rhetoric. It really put a damper on what was otherwise a fantastic game of hockey.

Jon...your team got spanked in this game except for the first period. Get the fuck over it and get ready for game 5.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:56 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
My God, bitching about that penalty is like bitching about what is or isn't a "catch" in football. MacKinnon did not factor into that play at all, and players jump on a little early all the damned time.

It doesn't matter that MacKinnon didn't factor, it's that Kadri did. That's nearly always called if the guy coming on the ice plays it before his guy is off(unless of course you're the 2009 Pens against the Red Wings in which case you can just go ahead and play with 6 guys for 30 seconds).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:11 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
My God, bitching about that penalty is like bitching about what is or isn't a "catch" in football. MacKinnon did not factor into that play at all, and players jump on a little early all the damned time.

It doesn't matter that MacKinnon didn't factor, it's that Kadri did. That's nearly always called if the guy coming on the ice plays it before his guy is off(unless of course you're the 2009 Pens against the Red Wings in which case you can just go ahead and play with 6 guys for 30 seconds).

MacKinnon was within 15' of the bench. That's never called. It's only even noticed in this case because there was a goal on the play. The Lightning had 7 skaters on the ice in the one vs the Isles. Trotz pointed out the 7 Bolts on the ice and of course the Isles were called Crylanders. It's a play that happens at least once every year in the playoffs and is only remembered by the losing team. They shouldn't remember it.

Go Avs!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:00 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
MacKinnon was within 15' of the bench. That's never called. It's only even noticed in this case because there was a goal on the play. The Lightning had 7 skaters on the ice in the one vs the Isles. Trotz pointed out the 7 Bolts on the ice and of course the Isles were called Crylanders. It's a play that happens at least once every year in the playoffs and is only remembered by the losing team. They shouldn't remember it.

Go Avs!

Exactly. That NEVER gets called. The one time the Avs got dinged for too many men in OT was this season when Rantanen played the puck before MacKinnon made it over the boards. Lots of arguments made that they should've been allowed to do that, but in the end, it's as the league says, it's a judgment call.

Whatever. Moot point now. They gotta take care of business tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:25 pm 
OTP Historian

15' from the bench and the replacement plays the puck? I'm pretty sure that's called, but the replacement not touching wouldn't get called. I could be wrong.

Nonetheless, Avs have them on the brink.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:33 pm 

Fucking Lightning are Bullet Tooth Tony. Why won't you die, Tony???

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:31 am 

Disappointing to say the least. JT Compher picked the worst possible time to play his worst game of the season.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:58 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

What a great series.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:05 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Congratulations Tom! This was your team’s year. The better team won, which is kind of fitting in this day and age. You must be over the moon.

I am happy for all the joy you will undoubtedly receive from this 3rd championship after all those years years - and over a budding dynasty no less.

To this years Stanley Cup Champion - Colorado Avalanche!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:14 pm 
Big in Japan

Two best teams in the league, no doubt. Avs played a flawless game after taking the lead. Awesome final.

Way to go Artturi Lehkonen scoring the winner. Kudos to vets Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson and Andrew Cogliano winning Cups.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:09 am 

Whew. Relief and elation, but mostly relief. I would not have been able to handle a Game 7.

Absolutely DOMINANT performance by Colorado, they only lost four game the whole run, two sweeps and not one series went the distance. Also underlying stats were completely on Colorado's side. Very happy for everyone there, and my old man informs me that Colorado has been all about the Avs the past month or so. Glad they get to partake in this.

Twenty-one years since I watched my boy Ray lift it, this feels great because I got to see an Avs team built from scratch go and do THE THING. Well worth the utter misery of that 2016-17 season.

Anyway, great season. Glad it ended the way I wanted. Look forward to watching with just a little less pressure from here on out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:59 am 
OTP Historian

Man...21 years since Colorado last won. It doesn't feel like that long, does it? This felt like their year going into the playoffs.

Congrats, Tommy. Such a well-constructed team that it felt like only downright horrible goaltending or some insane injury luck would have been their downfall.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:08 am 
King of Men

And the fun has just begun.....Kadri telling everyone to kiss his ass................ABK dropping the cup on the way to the team photo.........EJ telling everyone to go get a Makar.

I'll take Bill Daly any day over Gary.

Dominant team this year...they ground the gears early in the season but once they found their mojo they were hard to beat. Props to Joe Sakic for completing this team at the deadline and his social skills for full family buy in. Even if those guys are only around for one trip it worked.

Props to my wife for being the most hardcore fan I've known the past few years. She doesn't miss a game.

The city came aboard during the finals.......and it was painful to watch them come up to speed but its a good atmosphere around here right now. Maybe with all this hockey winning going on in Denver it can overtake the Nugs or the Rockies and some of the fans will stick around.

Now to see about this parade!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:24 am 
King of Men

In a further good sign for hockey in Denver....Dicks Sporting goods was fairly cleaned out of most Jerseys, Hats and other knicknacks.....still some Stanley Cup shirts though. The crowds were good size when we were there yesterday.

I've never gone to a Stanley Cup parade before but figure I probably should as I am not getting any younger. Better take a CBD and patience!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:12 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

harmfuljays wrote:
In a further good sign for hockey in Denver....Dicks Sporting goods was fairly cleaned out of most Jerseys, Hats and other knicknacks.....still some Stanley Cup shirts though. The crowds were good size when we were there yesterday.

I've never gone to a Stanley Cup parade before but figure I probably should as I am not getting any younger. Better take a CBD and patience!
Oh god. Crowds. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:58 pm 
Big in Japan

Sports media is roasting Avs beat guy Mike Chambers for lighting a stogy and lifting the Cup for a photo op. You didn't win the Cup, bro!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:15 am 

E.L. wrote:
Sports media is roasting Avs beat guy Mike Chambers for lighting a stogy and lifting the Cup for a photo op. You didn't win the Cup, bro!

Chambers is pretty much lampooned by virtually all Avs fans, not a single one of us takes him seriously. Between threatening to fight a fan in the Octagon and writing a scathing column lambasting the Avs for buying out Francois Beauchemin (putting aside the fact that he was one of the worst defensemen in the league that year on the league’s worst team by a country mile, if they hadn’t bought him out they would’ve had to protect him in the Vegas expansion draft while likely leaving a better player exposed), he’s well past the point of self-parody. Most of us saw that, laughed, and shrugged. The only writer on the DP staff worse than him is the thin-skinned Mark Kizsla, who has blocked me and almost every other Avs fan on social media. At least they have Seam Keeler, who seems halfway decent.

Avs throw out the first pitch at the Rockies game (who have not lost since the Cup returned to Colorado BTW) tomorrow, parade on Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:57 pm 
Old Man of the Post

E.L. wrote:
Two best teams in the league, no doubt. Avs played a flawless game after taking the lead. Awesome final.

Way to go Artturi Lehkonen scoring the winner. Kudos to vets Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson and Andrew Cogliano winning Cups.

Great, great series. Only regret was it didn't go 7 games.

Defense still wins championships - Avs choked the Tampa offense from the second period onwards. Good on them. They really missed not having Brayden Point, I think.

Sucks to be the next team to sign Corey Perry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:29 am 
King of Men

Now that was some parade.........too bad I didn't bring any beers with me but it was 9am so I didn't really feel the need to. That DID NOT stop most people and definitely not the Players. As I am sure you've seen by now Bo Byram was running along side his firetruck as was Newhook......the cop tried to put him back in the crowd. There were countless beverages being thrown and missed.....careening off the side of the fire trucks......thunk...whack...thump...

The old girl who was up on the barricade had her legs covered in beer when the firetruck ran one over!

Beverages being thrown were not limited to beers however...several shooters were thrown which the players promptly downed. Props to Mcdermaid for deftly catching a beer and draining it in one fell swoop. Props to the Mammoth team for just being animals and the long haired dude for breaking a beer on his head. Why are we drinking beers through our shirts and jerseys?

Anyway....with the insane party level I am surprised they made it to Civic Center Park.

It was hard to tell who was more shit faced on stage....UNTIL.....poor Jared made his speech at the park..

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/j ... cup-rally/

My wife says hey you get like that too sometimes! My crowd and better than being an angry drunk!

Missed opportunity from the Blink-182 publicist for sure.

They had a great time and EJ went live several times from Elways as the day progressed culminating in a titty bar visit.

Fairly smooth event...got there on the light rail early enough where it wasn't crowded, walked up to the park and then found a spot further down. Left right after the parade when it wasn't too much of a shit show.....was home in time to see the rally at the park. No one acted a fool (except some homeless dudes right out of the gate threatening to kill each other) and the city is still standing.

Rock on Boys!

Attachment:
20220630_1045412.jpg
20220630_1045412.jpg [ 78.14 KiB | Viewed 921 times ]