OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:10 am 
King of Men

A little late but I've been busy to post a thread that only I will post in.

Flames are on the ropes. The machine is broken. McDavid and Kane are tearing them up. The first line is struggling, the D is struggling and Markstrom is sucking donkey balls.

Hence a 3-1 Series lead from Edmonton.

Flames will look to stay alive back in Calgary for game 5.

DS keeps preaching the process but he's running out of time when it isn't working. Perhaps this is what happens with old vs new. Got no choice but to ride it until its over now.

If they are unable to rattle off 3 in a row this is going to be viewed as a disappointment and rightfully should be. :steamingpileofcrap:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:11 am 
Big in Japan

The fact that Mike Smith gave up a goal on a 150 foot dump in and they still won makes me think Edmo finally has this. Connor McDavid is playing some of the best hockey we've ever seen.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:16 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Flames looked overwhelmed last night. Even after Mike Smith Mike Smith'd in the way only he could, I didn't get the impression the Oilers were going to lose. Calgary never got anything sustained in the attacking zone from what I saw. Most of the time they'd enter the attacking zone, fire a shot, and then have to hustle back to stop the Oilers rush. Not driving play at all.

Markstrom has looked terrible in this series.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:22 am 
Big in Japan

Controversially, McDavid and the boys skate into round three. Best player won it, Sutter said matter of factly. And that's with a one-legged Draisaitl.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:55 am 
King of Men

No controversy here. Never really saw the Flames best game in this series. As they were too concerned with the "system" and stopping McDavid which they could not do.

DS looked to struggle implementing his process and the small changes Woodcroft made paid dividends.

Holy balls.....Markstrom was a :steamingpileofcrap:. I'd love to try and give this guy credit as a Vezina finalist but he didn't even bring his C game in this series (.852 with 5.12). Good on Mike Smith for getting the last laugh.

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/jacob- ... n-playoffs

And so it goes....at least they made it out of the first round....albeit barely.

We'll see if Johnny stays but that's for another thread.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:54 am 

Someone online said they thought Sutter got outcoached in this series. I'm inclined to agree. But also, when your goalie doesn't show up no coach, no matter how good, is going to be able to work around that. Markstrom was objectively terrible. Worse than Smith, which is saying something.

Connor McDavid kept the team in this and then once all the other Oilers showed up, there was no chance IMO.

On the 32 Thoughts podcast, Jeff Marek made a VERY emphatic point about his excitement at watching Matthew Tkachuk in the playoffs. I've watched Tkachuk for two different postseason runs and I come away saying I am thoroughly underwhelmed. Apart from that hat trick game, he was largely a no-show.

Anyway, Sutter took the Flames WAY farther than anyone expected. Now we get to see what kind of moves Treliving makes. Johnny Hockey more than proved his worth this year, you don't bring him back, forget about another playoff run.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:22 pm 
King of Men

Strangely, I would agree with this assessment of Tkachuk.....I think he's super overrated and I expected more. The best part about his playoff run was Brady drinking beer with the fans. We'll see what they offer him as an RFA.

I also felt that DS lived by the sword to the end and was going to trust in the process no matter what. His inflexibility gave Woodcroft's flexibility the advantage........a gentle way of saying outcoached ;)

But with Markstrom playing so bad there isn't much anyone could of done.....he can't necessarily ditch a highly paid goalie signed for the next 4 years in favor of Vladar. So I will go with handcuffed :quag:

I would look for buyouts coming on Lucic and Monahan as well if possible.

Johnny is this team....if they don't bring him back or he doesn't want to stay that should let the fan base know what to expect going forward.

Time to enjoy the ride with the Avs...the wife is rabid this year!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Speaking of Johnny he quit on the GWG. Played it weak on the boards and got caught going the other way.

He's ready for Philly hockey!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:25 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Strangely, I would agree with this assessment of Tkachuk.....I think he's super overrated and I expected more. The best part about his playoff run was Brady drinking beer with the fans. We'll see what they offer him as an RFA.

I also felt that DS lived by the sword to the end and was going to trust in the process no matter what. His inflexibility gave Woodcroft's flexibility the advantage........a gentle way of saying outcoached ;)

But with Markstrom playing so bad there isn't much anyone could of done.....he can't necessarily ditch a highly paid goalie signed for the next 4 years in favor of Vladar. So I will go with handcuffed :quag:

I would look for buyouts coming on Lucic and Monahan as well if possible.

Johnny is this team....if they don't bring him back or he doesn't want to stay that should let the fan base know what to expect going forward.

Time to enjoy the ride with the Avs...the wife is rabid this year!

In fairness to Sutter, it took all of his coaching chops and then some to take a roster with gaping holes everywhere and turn it into a powerhouse. The fact those gaping holes (lookin' straight at you, Nikita Zadorov) showed up again in the postseason isn't entirely on him. You can only cover for so much.

Personally the best thing this organization can do is fire Treliving and get a GM with some new ideas. IMO Brad has made way more bad moves than good over the years and does not deserve the benefit of the doubt any longer.

Hope the Avs do not let Janelle down. Well, they already did that in Game 5, hope they don't let her down AGAIN I should say.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:35 pm 
Big in Japan