OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:28 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Brought to you by NYers and retired NYers, the NY Saints vs the Tampa Loopholes. Okay, so it's really the Islanders vs the Lightning.

Schedule!
Game 1: Sunday, June 13, 3 p.m. (NBC, SN, CBC, TVA Sports) Isles win 2-1
Game 2: Tuesday, June 15, 8 p.m. (NBC Sports, SN, CBC, TVA Sports) Lightning win 4-2
Game 3: Thursday, June 17, 8 p.m. (USA, SN, CBC, TVA Sports) Lightning win 2-1
Game 4: Saturday, June 19, 8 p.m. (USA, SN, CBC, TVA Sports) Isles win 3-2
Game 5: Monday, June 21, 8 p.m. (NBC Sports, SN, CBC, TVA Sports) Lightning win 8-0. Did the Isles even play the game?
Game 6: Wednesday, June 23, 8 p.m. (NBC Sports, SN, CBC, TVA Sports) Beauvillier wins it in OT for the Isles 3-2
Game 7: Friday, June 25, 8 p.m. (NBC Sports, SN, CBC, TVA Sports)

I hate 8 PM starts now that I'm starting work at 5 AM.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:10 pm 

They had some great interviews today.
Barzal talked a lot about how Lou & Barry bring great professionalism and have made everyone better pros all around, even away from the ice.

Trotz talked about how he thought all of the (short) off-season about that series and like all the players, said he's excited for the series. Reporters tried to goad him into talking shit about Kucherov's cap situation. Trotz would have none of that shit. He just said he's on their team and then praised his play. Love that neckless bastard.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:55 am 

Game Day! GO ISLES! :viking:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:48 pm 

Barzal & Pulock score. Isles win Game 1 2-1 in what sounded like the Tampa library for most of the game.

I expect the Lightning to come out FLYING for Game 2.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:33 pm 

Just read that it was Pulock's 3rd game winning goal of these playoffs. No D-man has ever had more than 4 in a playoff year. He's got 7 chances to tie/bet the other d-men. By the way, he had 2 goals in the entire regular season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:34 am 
Big in Japan

Isles looked real good. They were ready.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:10 am 

E.L. wrote:
Isles looked real good. They were ready.

Yeah. Cooper said in his presser that their heads weren't in the game. So I expect them to very well prepared for Game 2. Damn it. I'd prefer they keep thinking they could win by just showing up. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:39 pm 

Wahlstrom is ready to play but I don't see him getting back into the lineup unless someone else gets hurt or the Lightning whoop the Isles. Zajac has been good and even Uncle Leo has been playing well (for Leo). Having too many healthy/good players is a great problem! Some fans keep yelling that Sorokin needs to play the next game. Varlamov has been great. Why mess with it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:32 pm 

Game 2 in 8 hours. LET'S FUCKING GO ISLES! :viking:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:18 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Didn't realize until this year that the Bolts are not nearly as good defensively as you would think. You'd think they'd lock it the hell down in their own zone, but nope, they leak chances everywhere. They depend very heavily on Vasilevskiy to bail their asses out on the regular. They put their primary focus on controlling the neutral zone, at the expense of yielding big chances in the defensive zone. Very different from a team like, say, Montreal. If the Isles continue to bide their time and jump on those chances like Barzal did on Rutta there, they stand a good chance of winning this. The only thing that gives me pause is Varly. He's proven this postseason he can be very good, and then he can give up a goal on the most innocuous of shots.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:43 pm 
Big in Japan

Vic Hedman had a poor season by his standards, but you'd never know it hearing the pundits.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:59 pm 

Pelech gives Point a shove from behind and Point lowers his shoulder into Varlamov's head. Varlamov pulled for concussion screening (I guess) and Sorokin played great. 2nd period started and Varlamov was back. Point got called for goalie interference on the play and the Isles scored to tie it.
2nd period- Tampa scores with clearly 6 guys on the ice. One closest to the bench was at center ice. Great job refs! At least you evened out your shittiness. I'll bet we don't see this crew in the next round. Truly bad, and it worked out for both teams in the end. But just awful. After the game Martin was asked if the Isles bench knew the Lightning had 6 skaters on when they scored. He kind of chuckled and said "oh yeah. We knew!" Then he said something about Trotz not normally yelling.

Series tied after Tampa wins 4-2. The series is turning ugly. Quite a few post-whistle scrums. Martin and Maroon fought, although it was more of a clutch & dance. Komarov got 2-10 near the game's end for tangling up with Gourde at the Lightning bench as Gourde was trying to change. The important part though is that Tampa adjusted as you had to know they would, and won the game. I hate the word momentum used about playoff series. I think it's more about confidence, and after Game 1, I actually felt a bit confident the Isles could pull off a series win. I knew the Lightning would adjust and probably win Game 2, but now that they have I feel kind of like the Isles have no chance in this. Funny how playoffs work like that. I think the only time there's not a huge confidence swing is when you win just to stay alive after being down 3-0 or 3-1. If someone had told me the Isles would split on the road to open the series I'd have taken that for sure. But when your team wins Game 1, you're not satisfied or even comfortable with the split.

So, home to the Coliseum crowd. Hopefully the last change and the crowd will give the Isles a huge boost. I'd be all for the home team winning every game from here on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:12 am 

Down Goes Brown with the good joke that Kucherov doesn't count as the 6th skater since he's on LTIR.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:51 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Didn't realize until this year that the Bolts are not nearly as good defensively as you would think. You'd think they'd lock it the hell down in their own zone, but nope, they leak chances everywhere. They depend very heavily on Vasilevskiy to bail their asses out on the regular. They put their primary focus on controlling the neutral zone, at the expense of yielding big chances in the defensive zone. Very different from a team like, say, Montreal. If the Isles continue to bide their time and jump on those chances like Barzal did on Rutta there, they stand a good chance of winning this. The only thing that gives me pause is Varly. He's proven this postseason he can be very good, and then he can give up a goal on the most innocuous of shots.

You aren't lying. I didn't realize this until yesterday when they showcased the D "prowess" of Ryan McDonagh on SN. Eghad.....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:52 pm 

2-1 win for the Lightning. Isles crowd didn't seem as loud as I was hoping for. Maybe because it's a Thursday night. Hopefully Saturday is more at the decibel level it was vs Boston.

Both teams had plenty of chances. Both goalies played well.

I hate the Lightning a lot because they're so damn good. I sometimes wonder how different the Isles would be if they'd drafted Hedman instead of Tavares. But then I think Hedman would have left them even sooner than Tavares did.

Saturday- :viking:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 am 

Game 4 tonight. Isles have to figure out a way to beat the mirror image of their own D system that the Lightning used on Thursday. It's win tonight or the season is almost certainly over.

Hoping the Coliseum crowd is louder than ever. :viking:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:59 pm 

Holy flaming shit balls, this is getting stressful. I am too old for them to almost blow a 3-0 lead and have the D-man make the save of the game with 2 seconds left. Pulock with a HELL of a save on McDonough, who made a fucking great spin move to fake Varlamov about 5' out of position. He owes Pulock a case of his favorite beer. Fucking hell.

And they keep the old barn open at least one more game.

Game 5 Monday at 8 eastern.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:24 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Holy flaming shit balls, this is getting stressful. I am too old for them to almost blow a 3-0 lead and have the D-man make the save of the game with 2 seconds left. Pulock with a HELL of a save on McDonough, who made a fucking great spin move to fake Varlamov about 5' out of position. He owes Pulock a case of his favorite beer. Fucking hell.

I was watching and wondering if your heart made it through the last 2 seconds. Had to check in tonight to make sure you weren't wheeled away in an ambulance or perhaps hearse. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:36 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I was watching and wondering if your heart made it through the last 2 seconds. Had to check in tonight to make sure you weren't wheeled away in an ambulance or perhaps hearse. ;)

It was pretty close. :lol: My wife told me I'd better lose weight if the Isles make the finals. :cry:

Cooper is such a lawyer. He lost his challenge on the Isles' 2nd goal and just looked at the ref in complete disbelief. (They were not offside and it wasn't even close) Later he tried to call timeout after an icing, which isn't allowed to begin with, and he had lost his timeout on the bad challenge. Douche bag kept arguing with the ref about it, which essentially got the players the rest a timeout would have gotten them. How he didn't get a delay of game penalty is beyond me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:59 am 
OTP Historian

That Pulock play was incredible.