OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:38 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

It's funny, I still see people complaining about the "boring Islanders" on Twitter and such, while they're giving up 30-40 shots/game. :lol: Their D hasn't been what it was last year. Dobson hasn't looked right since having covid.

I'm looking forward to some hard-nosed but clean hockey. And a loud-ass Coliseum. GO ISLES! :viking:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:36 pm 

Bruins win it in OT on a "someone shot?" shot by Marchand on a terrible angle from the corner.

Great, entertaining game.

I hope Carlo is okay. Clutterbuck hit him hard but cleanly, but Carlo's head hit the glass hard. They said he had concussion issues earlier this year. He looked dazed afterwards and couldn't get up on his own.

Game 4 on Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:24 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Varly was mostly good but...ugh, what a terrible GWG to give up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:35 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Varly was mostly good but...ugh, what a terrible GWG to give up.

Yeah. Isles fans are funny. The same people raving about his play in regulation, saying they'd have lost like 5-1 if not for Varlamov, also say he absolutely sucks and they should have won in OT. Like dude, I get the game winner (loser) was a bad goal, but you can't say they only made it to OT because of him and then say he alone lost the game for them. :lol:

This will be more difficult, but the Isles have already come roaring back from being down 2-1 this year. Time to do it again!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:59 am 

Game 4 tonight. No hint if Trotz will go with Sorokin or Varlamov. No word yet if Wahlstrom will be ready to play. I hope so. They could use his shot. And with the other lines working well, fucking put him on Barzal's wing! If he had a shooter to pass to they'd be soooooo much better. Leo could use a game or 25 to rest his knees.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:25 pm 

Isles take Game 4 to tie it up, 4-1 with 2 empty netters. Each team with a 3 goal win and an OT win. To say this series is close is an understatement.

Barzal with a great game. Goal and assist, penalty, multiple penalties drawn... Took a hard cup check after crosschecking Krejci a few times, and scored the game winner on a weird bounce that he one timed, possibly out of the air. I couldn't tell on the replay.

A few fights, just overall fun hockey to watch.

Strange one- Clutterbuck got slew footed by a Bruin (accidentally, the guy was going for the puck) but as the guy tried to pull his stick out from under Clutterbuck, Clutterbuck grabbed onto the stick and the Bruin unwillingly lifted him back up. Weirdest shit I've seen. Miss18.1 and I both kinda freaked out about it. :lol:

Back to Boston with a tie. At least one more game for the Coliseum!

EDIT- a few other things this game had: When Krejci cup checked/speared Barzal it was originally called a major but the refs reviewed and dropped it to a 2 minute slashing call.
Also, on the Bruins' lone goal Marchand's stick was between the post and Varlamov, preventing the goalie from getting over to block the shot. Isles challenged and the review upheld the goal call. I knew the Isles were losing the challenge when both Pierre and Micheletti said it would be overturned. Those 2 have the combined IQ of a turnip.
Isles got the penalty for botching a challenge and Eberle served it. He nearly had a full breakaway when he got out of the box, but was caught by a well aware Bruin D player. Nice job by them. It would have been awesome if Eberle scored there.
Pastrnak missed a fully fucking wide fucking open fucking net. He hit the far post. I mean, fucking wide fucking open. When the play stopped he fell on his face and hid in shame. Went to the bench shaking his head, looking skyward.
The NY Jets were at the game again. It's like watching a frat party in the stands. Bunch of dildos wearing Isles jersey fouls with their names/numbers. One big dork from the offensive line has a mullet and keeps chugging beers and smashing the empty can on his head while the other guys stand around him cheering him on. Yawwwwwwwwn. Apparently Clark Gillies found it either annoying that a Jet was getting the attention for this, or was inspired, because the cameras panned to him and he did the same, sending the crowd into a roar. Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn. The most interesting part of that is that he was sitting a row or two in front of Ledecky, most likely as his guest. Not something you'd expect to see from a guest of the owner.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:20 am 

Bruce Cassidy is whining about the refs. https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2021/6/6/22521498/bruins-coach-bruce-cassidy-officiating-complaint-non-complaint

Seriously? It will probably work for a game or so, which in a 2-2 series is a huge deal. Calls have certainly been missed both ways. The Bruins are the one who have had 2 players fined. Oh- Krejci was fined for spearing, uhhh, slashing Barzal in the balls, uhhhh, lower body.

Every team's fan base complains about refs. Coaches should leave it to the fans to whine about refs and not look like tools themselves by doing it. Typically when a coach does this, they are doing it to take the heat off their players because they feel the players can't handle the media heat at the moment. Like when Mike Milbury went off about non-called penalties by McCabe in '02 to take the heat of Yashin not scoring. So which of Cassidy's players does he feel isn't playing up to their ability?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:25 am 
King of Men

The problem here is the depth...both on D and forward lines for Boston. NYI is a much better depth team that rolls. The Bruins are a 1 line team....and need Smith, Krejci and Hall to stay healthy by taking pressure off the top line. Even if they do try to add in Karson Kuhlman or Trent Frederic I don't see that having any impact.

Varlamov has always played Boston well and the ability to swap styles with Sorokin is very interesting.

Carlo is a huge hole that can't be filled.

I can't really complain about officiating when my team is nutchecking people.

Pagueau is a certified Bruin killer so that isn't surprising he is enjoying himself.

Bruins could peter out in this series if the Isles just keep coming.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:46 pm 

Rumor all over the hindernet is that Rask is out with an upper body injury. Halak or Swayman. Halak always sucks vs his former teams, including the Isles this year. Swayman shut the Isles out late in the season. If it's true, and who knows if it is with all the gamesmanship bullshit in playoffs, I'd say the Isles are going to face Swayman and with their luck, means he'll have a 49 save shutout. I obviously hope to be wrong, but that's the feeling Isles fans have today. It would just be such an Islanders thing to happen.

Video is out of Anders Lee on the ice deflecting shots this morning!!! I doubt he's anywhere near ready to skate, certainly not in a playoff game, but to see him on the ice at all is surprising and encouraging.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Tin Man sighting!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:26 pm 
King of Men

Rask is confirmed as far as I can see on rotowire. I don't think either one of these teams stands a chance against Tampa...but what do I know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:41 pm 

Some stink was being made about two plays involving Barzal. I took his side with one, and Krejci's side with the other.

First one, Lazar was coming in for a late hit and Barzal cross-checked him in the neck. Not saying that was a great way to handle it, but I'm not sure what Barzal is supposed to do when a guy is clearly coming in to run him well after the puck is gone. Is he just supposed to take the hit and let his head bounce off the glass? If the refs are going to allow late hits, then I think players are allowed to, at some point, defend themselves.

Second one, Barzal repeatedly cross-checks Krejci in the back, Krejci finally turns around and spears him right in the junk. Again, not a clean play but I've no sympathy for Barzal here--if the refs are going to allow this bullshit, then retaliation to get him to stop (and it sure did stop him) should be allowed to a certain extent as well.

Not advocating just letting dirty play be the answer for dirty play, but what does the league fucking expect if they're not going to protect anyone with proper referreeing?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:56 pm 
OTP Historian

Krejci gave him some cross-checks back, but you can't let a guy retaliate with a nut shot.

If the puck is gone and someone is running you late enough for time to get the stick up? Stick up, maybe not for the neck/face though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:30 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Rask is confirmed as far as I can see on rotowire.

Okay. Saw Tweets from reporters saying he was only on for the early skate and that he wasn't going to play.

harmfuljays wrote:
I don't think either one of these teams stands a chance against Tampa...but what do I know.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:39 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Krejci gave him some cross-checks back, but you can't let a guy retaliate with a nut shot.

If the puck is gone and someone is running you late enough for time to get the stick up? Stick up, maybe not for the neck/face though.

Barzal's stick came up to shoulder-ish height and Lazar kind of ducked, and the stick slid up Lazar's shoulder into his neck/face. https://streamable.com/7huhq7

Not what you want to see, but it sure as hell doesn't compare to this shit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRaLtrC9_YY

The Bruins have gotten away with some shit in this series, as all teams do, including the Isles. But then if an Islander does something to a Bruin player they want to fight or do worse to the Islander. The refs have swallowed and shat out their whistles for the most part and allowed "the boys to play" which usually leads to the series taking an ugly turn.

Maybe some of this spilled over from Clutterbuck hitting Carlo and him having an apparent concussion? Clutterbuck expressed a lot of remorse for the injury. He made it clear that he wants to hit hard but doesn't want to injure anyone. Even Pierre said Clutterbuck was sick over hearing Carlo was out.

I am hoping that with the series tied, everyone just plays hockey and stops with the eye for an eye or get them before they get us bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:48 pm 

Bosc wrote:

I agree, but then crack down on the shit that prompts these reactions in the first place. Again, I realize putting a stick on a guy's neck is dangerous, but also, where else can he put it except at that head/face area? If he puts it in Lazar's chest it likely gets shoved right into his own face.

Nut shot? Yeah I get you shouldn't allow it, though the league did literally nothing when Lucic nutcracked a guy from behind unprompted, so you reap what you fucking sow. These extreme reactions wouldn't happen if the refs and DoPS were doing their jobs properly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:51 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
These extreme reactions wouldn't happen if the refs and DoPS were doing their jobs properly.

Yep! I actually had high hopes for Parros taking over DoPS, thinking an enforcer would enforce the mythical code. It's been the same shit, different head of DoPS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:28 pm 
King of Men

Lot of dudes on their knees in the 1st period of game 5. Clean it up!

Clutterbuck is a class act and its a hockey play.

Now the fans may be a different story...but it is NY and Boston after all...

Bruins are dirty as shit and have been for years......what other team loves to give nut shots and licks? I can think of at least 3 players on the Bruins past and present that seem to enjoy opposing nut pool. Still not sure how Pacioretty isn't dead.

Gotta go play some pinball before period 2!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:09 pm 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
Rumor all over the hindernet is that Rask is out with an upper body injury.

Interesting....I doubt there is any coincidence the Isles are shooting high glove and Tuuka is waving at it. The D is in shambles without Carlo back there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:24 pm 
King of Men

Eh.....this series has the feel of being over. Tuuka obviously playing through something....fucking carousel on D pairings....When the 1st and 2nd lines are out there its on....but the 3rd and 4th lines for the B's are atrocious. 1st line is too old (minus Pasta) to log this many minutes now.

Isles are 3 for 3 on the PP tonight... :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next