OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:33 am 
King of Men

As others have said around here this does appear to have a rather nostalgic feel to it.

The Islanders were a team I really feared in the first half of the year.......in the second half not so much.

There's nothing shocking to their game its hard nose workman like hockey. Is it Sorokin or Varlamov or does it matter?

Can the Isles finally breakthrough with this Trotz/90s Devils scheme?

Can The B's keep the good times going?

I guess we'll find out.

Nearly Full Capacity at the Garden! But no Jack and Brick....Pierre only!

Bruins play matinees all the f'n time on Saturdays but for some reason this first game has a later start time of 8pm EST. I don't know how you East Coast people do it. That's the best part of living out here....5pm start times!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:44 am 
Big in Japan

B's are rolling at the right time. Hall finally panning out somewhere.

Isles feasted on weak goaltending statistically, but I'll never count out a Trotz coached team.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bruins should win this one in five, but as you say you can't ever count out Barry Trotz.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:13 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Sorokin was great overall vs the Pens, or at least good enough to give them the chance to win. He's much more athletic than Varlamov at this point, who is better positionally. Most fans consider Sorokin to be the clear #1 at this point, and Trotz said he undoubtedly has his starter chosen for Game 1, so the his obvious clear choice is Varlamov, because Trotz knows 10000x more than any fans. Except of course me.

I have no idea what to expect for an outcome of this series. The Isles looked great vs the Bruins for the first 4 games, then like stir fried dog shit for a few games later on. Then okay.

Pageau seems to always play well against them, and that's one of the big things about the Isles- the center depth throws off a lot of opponents. If you shut down Barzal, then Nelson or Pageau will score. If you also shut down Nelson, Cizikas can score too... And I'm sure Barzal would love to show the Bruins how badly they fucked up by passing on him THREE times in that draft.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:25 pm 

Game 1 5/29 @ 8 PM Eastern. Bruins win 5-2 (en)

Game 2 5/31 @ 7:30 Eastern. Isles win in OT 4-3

Game 3 6/3 @ 7:30 Eastern. Bruins win 2-1 in OT

Game 4 6/5 @ 7:15 Eastern. Isles win 4-1

Game 5 6/7 @ 6:30 Eastern. Isles win 5-4.

Game 6 6/9 @ 7:30 Eastern. Isles win 6-2 (2 en)

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:31 am 

Zajac expected to be in for Wahlstrom again. Wahlstrom is "day to day". After the way his neck snapped to the side and his knee buckled underneath him, I think the "day" he'll be back on the ice is in like September.

Zajac was very good in Game 6. Stopped a sure goal for the Pens, assisted on another, and did well on faceoffs. Not sure I want to see him every day, but he's good depth. Wahlstrom was good on the PP, Zajac on the PK.

Let's go Isles! :viking:

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:10 am 

I lost a thoughtful but concise post to the timeout demon. Fuck this site. I wrote it quickly so I didn't think I needed to copy/paste. Fuck you.

Pulock needs to be a lot better from here on. He stood there watching Pasta stand a bit away from the net with the puck on the far side. He couldn't do any damage from there right? Except maybe blast a one-timer into the net, off Pulock's upper body. Sorokin was in great position to get the original shot, until it deflected a foot to his right off Pulock. That was one of Pasta's 3 goals. And I hate player nicknames but I don't remember how to spell his last name properly.

Barzal needs to get scoring, which can't be easy when you're trying to tow Komarov around.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:15 am 
King of Men

This guy had talent when he came into the league.....but playing with and having mentors like Marchand and Bergeron can't be measured.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:19 am 

Don Cherry wants his suit back.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:29 am 
King of Men

I was actually pretty nervous going into period 3. Bruins were turning the puck over repeatedly and they were having trouble with the short time decision making due to the pressure. Sorokin was stopping everything..but the Bruins eventually figured out how to perform the breakout without going up the middle of their own zone and they also won the dump it in and go get it game. Sorokin stopped channeling Mark Andre Fleury and all ended as it should!

IMO that Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak line is the best in hockey right now but the key to that currently is the second line (hopefully Craig Smith does not miss any time)....Pastrnak isn't turning the puck over nearly as much as he used to.

Typically I will find something to bitch about....but even Connor Clifton looks good out there. So If I can't find anything shitty to say that can't be good for an opponent.

The B's machine is firing on all cylinders and the Isles are going to have to execute their schtick for 60 minutes if they want to hang around in this series.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.p ... ame=30211#

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:00 am 

The Isles haven't been the Isles for the last half of this year. They used to keep teams to under 30 shots all the time. A lot of teams have started shooting from the outside then trying to crash for rebounds, so they get a lot of long range shots, and then if the Isles don't clear the front they're fucked. Sorokin, as good as he is, seems to like kicking rebounds out. Younger goalies are being taught to keep the puck in play and let their D clear the zone, rather than having a d-zone faceoff. I think he's in that camp, unlike Varlamov, who just holds everything he stops.

The Isles are going to give up shots no matter what, so I think it's time to get Leo the fuck off of Barzal's line. It's like having a greyhound and tying 2 of its legs together. Leo is barely over the red line when Barzal is circling the o-zone, if he hasn't already been slammed into the wall. Putting Beauvillier on that line with Barzal and Eberle worked in the past. I don't know why Trotz refuses to do it, but it may be something people talk about all summer long after a short round 2 exit. That line isn't doing much at all with Leo on it.

I still think the Isles are better than they showed, but the Bruins are just damn good.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:38 pm 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
The Isles haven't been the Isles for the last half of this year. They used to keep teams to under 30 shots all the time. A lot of teams have started shooting from the outside then trying to crash for rebounds, so they get a lot of long range shots, and then if the Isles don't clear the front they're fucked. Sorokin, as good as he is, seems to like kicking rebounds out. Younger goalies are being taught to keep the puck in play and let their D clear the zone, rather than having a d-zone faceoff. I think he's in that camp, unlike Varlamov, who just holds everything he stops.

Interesting, I noticed this as well in that game. Now that you say it, I understand why. That's a whole different style change teamwise.

Quote:
The Isles are going to give up shots no matter what, so I think it's time to get Leo the fuck off of Barzal's line. It's like having a greyhound and tying 2 of its legs together. Leo is barely over the red line when Barzal is circling the o-zone, if he hasn't already been slammed into the wall.

:lol: Trotz is an old dog himself. He's hanging on to what he thinks he knows.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:16 pm 

Well Trotz has said he's going with the same players, but there will be some changes. I'm hoping like hell that means Beauvillier on with Barzal.
I don't expect to see Wahlstrom back for a while, which sucks because they could use his shot.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:58 pm 
King of Men

Eghad what a terrible gaffe from Joe Lauzon! :wookie: Islanders played hard and brought their lunch pails. The first line of the B's can't play the whole game! Hats off to Varly too he always plays the Bs tough. They played a much better game in front of him.

Missing Craig Smith.....Jake Debrusk is not a top 6 forward.

It could be worse...I could be a Leafs fan.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:01 pm 

Hell of an entertaining game.

Series tied going to LI. Extra day off before Game 3. Isles are supposed to have 15k fans allowed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:37 am 

Palmieri has had a few lucky bounces on the ice in the playoffs. Quite an unlucky slip of the tongue here. :lol:
https://twitter.com/IslesWhiteSUV/status/1399568087276527617

Cizikas makes the clip great.

If Palmieri scores in Game 3, there has to be hard fart chant.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:57 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Palmieri has had a few lucky bounces on the ice in the playoffs. Quite an unlucky slip of the tongue here. :lol:
https://twitter.com/IslesWhiteSUV/status/1399568087276527617

Cizikas makes the clip great.

If Palmieri scores in Game 3, there has to be hard fart chant.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:29 pm 

Heating up on an off day: Jake DeBrusk fined $5k for crosschecking Mayfield in the back of the head. Dickhead Pierre called it "old time hockey". DoPS calls it a fine. No penalty called during the game. Glad to see DoPS is watching, even if the refs aren't.
Hall also crosschecked Palmieri in the upper body that period, which also went unpenalized.

Wahlstrom is skating and is a possibility for Game 3. :Butch:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:57 am 

Wahlstrom and Dal Colle are skating, but won't be ready for Game 3. Wahlstrom is a possibility for Game 4 though. That would be good. His shot is great to have on the PP.

Trotz called on the fans to be as loud as possible for the home games. The new arena in Belmont was planned with a low ceiling in order to almost replicate the noise level of the Coliseum. Glad to see designers getting it right, instead of going for the massive cathedral look. :woop:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

This is gonna be fun as hell to watch. I'm expecting a ridiculously physical game with plenty of back-and-forth action.

I don't care who wins, I just hope that dumbass Marchand gets run over (legally and without injury) at least once.