OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:02 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
I think the depth issues of this team are starting to show. Despite the fact that he made a monster defensive play in the 3rd to preserve the tie on the PK, Sutter and his line looked like they got pinned in their own zone by the Blues all game long.

Yeah, I think that third line is finally getting exposed; I'd like them to drop Jake and insert Gaudette, and slide Sutter to the right with Roussel.

Pokecheque wrote:
That said, the times the Canucks were using their top six, they were, at times, dominant.

That's being generous... ROR and Perron have been winning their 5-on-5 matchups easily.
Pokecheque wrote:
Petterson is a beast, I've never seen a guy able to do the things a guy three times his size does, but not with brute force. He can snipe, he can maneuver the puck through traffic, he can muck it up in front of the net and score off rebounds and deflections, and he has an uncanny knack for winning puck battles because, despite his lack of speed, he can maneuver around guys in tight spaces better than anyone.
I've been a little disappointed with Boeser on that line. He's done the minimum to help out Petterson and Miller. I'm looking forward to the next five years when Petterson can pack on a few more kilos and be tougher to move off the puck. The hockey IQ and compete is there, and few more years of experience can only help.

Pokecheque wrote:
I'll say it again--Shotgun Jake is a fucking moron. .

Can't say this enough. I'm done with JV. If they can package him up with someone else with a big ticket price (Sutter comes to mind), then great. He's had plenty of opportunities to contribute and Jake just keeps doing Jake things. I hope Jake's career picks up wherever he lands bc he's certainly not going to do it in Vancouver.

Wyatt Arndt from the Athletic wrote:
Pearson passing the puck to Jake Virtanen only to have him skate through the two Blues and no longer give him an outlet was amusing. Seeing Tanner just stand there and look around and literally just start walking on the ice made me laugh out loud because it was very relatable.

Pokecheque wrote:
Gord Miller got roasted on Twitter for suggesting that Canucks fans owe Jim Benning an apology. Nope. He's still largely a bad GM. Admittedly one huge gamble--J.T. Miller--paid off in spades. But this is still the same guy who overpaid for a bunch of talentless scrubs, thereby hampering all the good moves he's made in both acquisitions and drafting/development. The Canucks would be A FORCE if they didn't have to use up so much cap space in guys like Sutter, Roussel, Myers, Beagle, Eriksson, and Ferland. They're also paying Baertschi over $2 million to play in the minors if I'm not mistaken. Their highest paid forward and highest paid defenseman are probably two of their worst players.

Losing Myers has really exposed Stecher as a liability; I thought I was the only one seeing this. The Blues have been consistently hammering Stecher since Myers has been out, and it's paying off for them. Add to your list, Toffoli who hasn't returned since Game 1 of the play-in round; they're talking about re-signing him after giving up another Tyler (Madden) and then some. The third line really needs to be revamped as it hasn't done much other than take up cap and bench space. If GMJB can't work his way out of this cap mess, then the talents of Petterson, Hughes, Miller, Horvat, and Boeser will leave them in that awful middle-third of the league. Not bad enough to get decent picks and not really good enough to make it deep into the playoffs each year.

Sutter: Done some good things in the play in round but not much since
Roussel: Only one in the lineup to bring grit
Myers: Cannots have had to kill too many penalties with him in the lineup and have lost both games since he's been out; please get him back in...
Beagle: Sutter-clone, with less impact outside the faceoff dot
Eriksson: Has had his chances, but no finish. Been great defensively with Horvat and Pearson but not much more...
Ferland: Non-factor
Toffoli: Non-factor
Stecher: Not quick enough to get out of trouble when the other team keys on him
Edler: Starting to show his age - slow of foot, slow in decision-making, and no creativity whatsoever
Tanev: Love his dedication and tenacity but I can't justify resigning him when he can get more on the open market
Pearson: I have all day for this guy; he has great chemistry with Horvat and one of the few guys in the lineup who can play a heavy forechecking game with the Blues.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It's sad that the loss of Captain Average is what exposes your defensive corps.

Myers isn't horrible by any means, but he is by no means worth $30 million. Neither is, for that matter, Alexander Edler. And it sure tells you how rapidly declining Edler is (was overrated to begin with) when he can't even come close to doing what Myers can do on that 2nd pairing.

Also, it makes the third pairing...Jordie Benn and Oscar Fantenberg. Yikes. I think even this year's Red Wings had better defensive pairings than THAT.

That's why, unfortunately, anything that keeps Benning in charge will ultimately doom the Canucks. He's proven to be completely and totally inept at managing the cap. He also missed his chance to sell high on Virtanen, should have done so, even if it would've been wildly unpopular at the time, during the height of the "Shotgun Jake" craze. Maybe, just maybe he can still pawn the guy off on a GM who overvalues all the physical tools he possesses (unfortunately the perfect GM for that...is Benning), but otherwise, that's a lost cause.

Benning just proves continually how bad he is at evaluating talent. He took one look at Jay Beagle and said "That guy just won a Cup and he blocks shots, SIGN HIM NOW!" Never mind the fact that Beagle is a below-replacement level player who was continually getting caved in any time he was on the ice for the Capitals. And sure enough, any time he's on the ice, forget it. It must drive a very analytics-savvy guy like Travis Green nuts that he keeps getting handed all this "talent" that is anathema to what the numbers say.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:35 pm 

Boy Genius says IT CAN BE DONE.

https://theathletic.com/2006475/2020/08 ... the-blues/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:10 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Now that was a game. Markstrom is a :viking:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:23 am 

Jake Virtanen for the win! and a bit of help from Motte.

At 3-1 for Lou I thought it was over, other than the first few minutes of the game the Canucks were being dominated and only Markstrom keeping them in it. Glad I was wrong, what a great period.

I think back in February I was arguing for trading Markstrom. Its going to hurt to resign him and going to hurt to let Demko go before Seattle takes him but Markstrom is too good to let walk. I just hope he's still okay when he is 34-36 pulling $6.5 million a year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:28 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Gutsy effort by the Canucks coming back after being down 3-1 in 2nd period- no less with Edler leaving the game with a skate cut to the ear. :shock: Now the Canucks are down 2 top 4 D-men. Marky was a monster. Hughes logged almost 10 minutes of ice time in the 3rd. Green puts the lines in the blender and found some magic tonight in the form of Tyler Motte and Jake Virtanen. Sutter and Roussel get benched in the 3rd. Pettersson and JT strong as usual. Boeser, while scoreless was dangerous all night which is a good sign.

This series is poised to go 7 even though I don't want it to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:16 pm 

Geez, Jake, where the hell has THAT player been this whole time!? How about you play like that more often?

That was about the sloppiest damned game I've ever seen, just hits and pratfalls and collisions all over the place, but that's precisely what Vancouver needed to do to beat St. Louis (and get timely goaltending, which they got). Green knows they don't have the depth or defensive skill to match the defending Cup champs, so they just went at them with relentless pressure. It worked! Brilliant bit of coaching there.

Close it out motherfuckers. Put these two-bit grinders into the ground.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:45 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

15 mins to puck drop! Go Nucks Go! :viking:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:12 am 

Beagle; Roussel; Stetcher; Motte .............that is not a scoring summary I'd expect to ever see

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:45 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Beagle; Roussel; Stetcher; Motte .............that is not a scoring summary I'd expect to ever see

Sure enough I say bad things about Virtanen and the Canucks’ depth and they shove it in my face. :doom:

Also, I literally texted my Blues fan friend about how bad Beagle is literally MINUTES before he scored.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:06 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

What a game! Golden Knights up Sunday!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:37 am 

Who'd have thought that going with Binner in game 6 would be a grave error with the series on the line?

I'll take a Pina Colada.

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1297036385820393474

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:05 am 
King of Men

That 3rd goal was amazing.....1:50 is where it starts....

Good job Vancouver!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:22 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

So we should be Canada's team now......Are we?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:56 pm 

CanuckinOz wrote:
So we should be Canada's team now......Are we?

Who else could it be? There's literally no one else left.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:22 pm 

Canucks get spanked by Vegas in game 1. Boys against men. Virtually every aspect of Vegas' game is superior. Speed, skill, size, a strong forecheck and solid back end. The only thing that wasn't really tested last night was goaltending. Granted the Canucks played possibly their worse game in bubble last night, but it is hard to imagine this series going more than 5 or 6 at the most. Vegas is built to win the Cup now. They are going to be a hard out for anyone in the West. I have them winning the Cup in my NHL bracket over Tampa.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:19 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
I think back in February I was arguing for trading Markstrom. Its going to hurt to resign him and going to hurt to let Demko go before Seattle takes him but Markstrom is too good to let walk. I just hope he's still okay when he is 34-36 pulling $6.5 million a year.

I know nothing about hockey.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:03 am 

Fogghorn wrote:

Eh...no one ever knows about goalies. The fourth-string netminder for the Blues in 2019 went on to win them the goddamned Cup. And that same netminder got ventilated this postseason by the Canucks.

TBH Markstrom never looked like a blue-chipper to me. If he was, he would've emerged much sooner than he did.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:13 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Eh...no one ever knows about goalies. The fourth-string netminder for the Blues in 2019 went on to win them the goddamned Cup. And that same netminder got ventilated this postseason by the Canucks.

TBH Markstrom never looked like a blue-chipper to me. If he was, he would've emerged much sooner than he did.

I was thinking about that last night. He came into the league being expected to be a sure thing and now is finally meeting those expectations. Is it possible that Florida and their coaching just messed him up that badly?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:18 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
I was thinking about that last night. He came into the league being expected to be a sure thing and now is finally meeting those expectations. Is it possible that Florida and their coaching just messed him up that badly?

I think Ian Clark is just that good at his job. I'd be fairly surprised if we ever saw an output of work in a single season/postseason than we just saw from Markstrom. Talent and athleticism are there for sure, but something about his technique or mental game just makes him wildly inconsistent. He is IMO just another Freddy Andersen. I don't think Florida messed him up per se, I just think goalie prospects and goaltending in general is just insanely hard to project. How many "surefire" goalie prospects ended up not even getting into the league or just became marginal backups? Al Montoya, Marek Schwarz, Hannu Toivonen, Trevor Kidd, the list goes on and on.

It's remarkable just how much the Canucks get out of their goaltenders. Yes, even Dan Cloutier--who never really did anything of note outside of Vancouver. Someone on HF remarked that the Canucks just print goalies, and I think he's right. That's probably a testament to Clark and whoever works under him. Whatever Benning is doing wrong, the Canucks are doing it right when it comes to coaching. And now, with Demko, they have the chance to have something they've never really had before, not even with Kirk McLean--a legit superstar goalie.