OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:10 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Dillon Dube was selected in the 2016 draft with a second rounder acquired from Dallas in a trade that sent defenseman Kris Russell. Russell played 12 regular season games and 11 playoff games for Dallas and was not re-signed. He'd eventually sign in Edmonton.

It's possible Dallas is regretting that trade after Dube has scored two goals in today's contest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:13 pm 
King of Men

Quote:
I guess Bennie and the Jets was for Sam Bennett? I have to be honest I was ready to crucify him not give him his own song but we'll get to that when this is all over.

Veteran laden Stars team that knows how to win but the Flames aren't punching above their weight yet. This is a very winnable series.....

The big questions are in goal for both clubs. Bishop has been unfit to play replaced by Khudobin. I've seen his body of work in Boston. He's serviceable.

Cam Talbot came up big against Winnipeg....can he keep it up? Who knows.

For line and D depth the Flames still have the edge in this one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:14 pm 

Unlike the Game That Never Ends in Toronto, this one ends in regulation in the Flames' favor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:14 pm 
King of Men

Talbot went sieve for about 15 seconds and then regained composure. Flames worked it out Rasmus Andersen making TJ Brodie super expendable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:24 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Talbot went sieve for about 15 seconds and then regained composure. Flames worked it out Rasmus Andersen making TJ Brodie super expendable.

Calgary will really appreciate getting Valimaki back next year

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:39 pm 
King of Men

Yeah clearing Brodie and Hamonic off the books for next year is huge....8 Million in cap space....the contract for Rasmus kicks in so he goes from under a mil to 4.5...but rightfully so.

Who would have thought....Milan, Dube and Bennett would be a playoff powerhouse so far............ :wth:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:56 am 
King of Men

Well, that was a disappointing performance for an elimination game. Too bad, I thought this series was winnable.

This series went down hill when MT was injured. Surprising performance from the 3rd line of Lucic, Dube and Bennet who carried the team. Rasmus Andersen was clearly their best D Man.

Poor performances from Elias Lindholm (very bad) over the series and the top line in general. Cam Talbot and team unfortunately went sieve when it mattered most.

I would suspect a hard long look at those top line players. Its very clear who this team needs to be built around (MT). Also, not a big fan of Ward who is still the interim and of course the net situation is a shit show.

Would imagine we've seen the last of Hamonic, Brodie, Rieder, Rinaldo and Talbot plus the other UFAs. Might take a flyer on Gustaffson but that's about it.

Was this enough for Treliving to keep his post? We'll see! I really don't consider that Peg series a playoff win so this is essentially another first round loss.

I suppose its time for a season wrap elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:33 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Anyone see Rick Bowness' comments on life in the bubble? The first quote I read sounded kind of whiny, but that's typical headlining. Still, I don't feel too badly for these guys making millions, playing for a championship, staying in 5 star hotels... :lol:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/stars ... hl-bubble/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:50 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Anyone see Rick Bowness' comments on life in the bubble? The first quote I read sounded kind of whiny, but that's typical headlining. Still, I don't feel too badly for these guys making millions, playing for a championship, staying in 5 star hotels... :lol:

I know people who've done jury duty and it sounds a little like that. The responsibility is kinda thrilling, but at the end of the day you're stuck in a hotel, unable to leave. It's disorienting and unhealthy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:06 am 
Big in Japan

I'm kinda surprised Dallas pulled it off after how offensively inept they were this season and Polak called out management. Then again, who could have predicted a 4 goal game from Gurianov?

Add the Flames to the list of teams that might tinker hard this offseason. Tkachuk was looking mad in the press box.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:52 am 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
I'm kinda surprised Dallas pulled it off after how offensively inept they were this season and Polak called out management. Then again, who could have predicted a 4 goal game from Gurianov?

Add the Flames to the list of teams that might tinker hard this offseason. Tkachuk was looking mad in the press box.

Me too. I actually thought this was a great draw for Calgary and very winnable. I guess you can't rely on primary scoring from Sam Bennett and stellar netminding from Cam Talbot (not seriously anyway). It is what it is. At the end of the day the top guys were pretty non existent again. Johnny's try factor looked a lot better the last couple games but his other linemates weren't doing him any favors.

The 3rd line put it deep, cycled and grinded...they actually worked for goals and it showed. Johnny would excel from having a Danskoi or a Conroy to do the work for him..Monahan is not that guy and Lindholm was just plain lazy out there. IMO, Lindholm cost the team 2 games in this series and while its a team game that type of individual lazy play doesn't work in the playoffs. Its obvious Ward saw that as well because he got demoted.

I liked the balls out approach with the D activating which actually netted them 3 goals in the first 5 minutes. Than Looch took a stupid penalty and the Stars got back in it. At that point Bowness made corrections after being overwhelmed and the Flames couldn't seem to figure out what they wanted to do in response.....Do we continue with sending all the soldiers, do we sit back or do we just head straight to mass confusion and let Talbot figure it out? And well the rest we know...big sieve Dave comes in....and out...and its a total shit show melt down.

There are some real positives for this team which I will discuss over in the yearly thread and I do have to sound off on Sam Bennett as well. I wouldn't call this a failure considering their ho hum season but expectations were high and they didn't actually reach the level of balance to consider this a solid effort either. I would expect some significant changes in the offseason.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:37 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Chris18 wrote:

Yes saw that. Weird that opposing teams run into each other on a regular basis as there is really nowhere to go except common spaces and courtyards.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:31 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Logical Progression wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Yes saw that. Weird that opposing teams run into each other on a regular basis as there is really nowhere to go except common spaces and courtyards.

Yeah, you'd think there'd be a brawl in the common area. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:20 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

The only off-ice battles these kids are getting into are on Fortnite...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:40 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

The only off-ice battles these kids are getting into are on Fortnite...

Ha! You aren't lying! Average age of the Stars 29...Rick Bowness 65.