OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:19 pm 
OTP Clown

Pokecheque wrote:
Bruins announce a marketing partnership with the mouthbreathing ogres known as Barstool, and the response is pretty much what you'd expect it to be.

I can't believe I'm rooting for the Blues, but I'm completely on their side now even though Ryan O'Reilly can go crash a fucking truck.

I mean, this is hardly surprising given the fact they had Conor MacGregor dancing around their locker room not that long ago.

This is why I'm not watching.

Hatred for the Blues is only dwarfed by my loathing of the Ruins.

Fuck the NHL.

Wish Jumbo Joe were here.

I'd have at least a reason to watch the elimination game...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Ratings are down and it's no big surprise why. NBA finals looking more interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:18 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Ratings are down and it's no big surprise why. NBA finals looking more interesting.
NBA finals ratings are down too. Lowest in several years apparently. In Canada they are breaking TV records for B-Ball, which is surprising since there Toronto views itself as the whole of Canada and the rest of Canada views Toronto as it's own island.

While most people in the US don't seem to care about the Raptors and the storyline of the championship potentially going to a team in Canada (like the Blue Jays back in the day), they would just rather see the Warriors lose (except in Cali and Nevada). Not exactly a secret recipe for viewership in the US. Heard most of the betting line is going to the Raps though.

Quote:
The game, which resulted in a victory for Toronto over the defending champs, scored a 10.1 rating in metered market households. That’s down 18 percent from last year’s 12.3 total and represents the lowest score for any NBA Finals game since 2013.

Quote:
Toronto is one of the biggest markets in North America. But for American networks who don’t possess Canadian broadcast rights, and ratings thus don’t register in the United States, losing one of the home markets for the NBA Finals is a significant hit to ABC’s television ratings.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:44 pm 
Big Man of the Post

Ummm...go Blues? :viking:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:53 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

tommyboy wrote:

What if the Blues and Devils make it to the Final? Will your head explode or will you be happy no matter what?

And welcome back, old friend.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:26 pm 
Big Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
tommyboy wrote:

What if the Blues and Devils make it to the Final? Will your head explode or will you be happy no matter what?

And welcome back, old friend.

I was worried about that back around 2000 or so, but I feel pretty secure that it will never happen.

And thanks! I’m glad the old place is still alive and kicking!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:37 pm 
Big in Japan

GOLDEN BRETT SAYS LET'S GO BLUES! https://twitter.com/NHLonNBCSports/stat ... 4147159046

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:11 pm 
Big in Japan

*Deletes previous posts about the series being over*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:57 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

tommyboy wrote:

I'll second Tom. Welcome back old friend. That, and it's good to hear from you again. How's everything going?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:05 am 
King of the One-Liner

As a Leaf fan I get a childish immature joy out of watching the Bruins lose their shit over a non-call.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:44 am 

I have a close friend who's been a long-suffering Blues fan who is absolutely thrilled to see his team on the cusp of winning the Big Prize, but even he thought the officiating sucked balls last night.

I've no love lost for the Bruins whatsoever, but the story of these playoffs is going to be how awful the officiating was. In some ways that's a shame because I don't blame the refs so much as I blame the garbage rules and even more garbage culture that has festered for all these years. What's worse, I'm sure they'll implement a whole bunch of new rules that are just going to make things worse.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:07 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I have a close friend who's been a long-suffering Blues fan who is absolutely thrilled to see his team on the cusp of winning the Big Prize, but even he thought the officiating sucked balls last night.

I've no love lost for the Bruins whatsoever, but the story of these playoffs is going to be how awful the officiating was. In some ways that's a shame because I don't blame the refs so much as I blame the garbage rules and even more garbage culture that has festered for all these years. What's worse, I'm sure they'll implement a whole bunch of new rules that are just going to make things worse.
Wonder if the officials are having more trouble keeping up with the speed of today's game. I mean, prima facie that seems a pretty evident conclusion to draw and inconsistent officiating has been an issue for decades in the NHL. But it seems to be getting even worse -- and with the addition of video review has opened up a completely new set of complications.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:22 pm 
King of the One-Liner

The problem in my estimation is they have floating standards based on how they think they are expected to "control" the game. If they just use the same rules all year the same way they would be better officials for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:20 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Wonder if the officials are having more trouble keeping up with the speed of today's game. I mean, prima facie that seems a pretty evident conclusion to draw and inconsistent officiating has been an issue for decades in the NHL. But it seems to be getting even worse -- and with the addition of video review has opened up a completely new set of complications.

That's definitely an issue, but I am sick and tired of this whole "let them play" bullshit that says teams can get away with clutching and grabbing that they never would during the regular season. That, more than anything has aged horribly. It needs to stop, because now we're left with refs who let three or four trips and/or hooks/grabs and then call the fifth one at random. Too much is left to judgment. If it's a penalty, call the goddamn penalty. And we may have to trudge through a couple rough postseasons where both teams get like nine power plays, but eventually they'll figure it out. And I guarantee we'll see more skilled teams make their way to the final instead of a couple burly teams who just happen to get really good goaltending at the right time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:07 pm 

Jesus -- is it over yet? This is taking forever. Bring on the draft and offseason! :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:25 pm 
Big in Japan

This one's going to seven.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:31 am 
OTP Clown

Logical Progression wrote:
Jesus -- is it over yet? This is taking forever. Bring on the draft and offseason! :roll:

Yup...

I still haven't watched so much as even a highlight.

So disinterested.

Go Raps!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:23 pm 

Blues blew a prime opportunity last night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 pm 
Big in Japan

Blooz! Holy crap they did it!

ROR went from goat in Buffalo to Conn Smythe in one season.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:11 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Congratulations St. Louis Blues, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions.