OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:49 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I'll admit that I was really hoping for the Isles to get the "Redemption Tour 2019", by having matchups vs the Pens, who vanquished them in the playoffs a few years ago (done), the Caps, who Trotz brought to the promised land but wasn't brought back, and the Leafs, so they could whoop Tavares' ass after the way he left. But, the Caps and Leafs are out, so the Isles will just have to create a new narrative.

Isles were 3-1 against the Canes, while the Canes were 1-2-1 against the Isles. Ahhh, NHL accounting. But they last played in early January, so do those games tell you anything at all? And Greiss played all 4, as he's done very well vs the Canes historically. So Trotz either has the problem of possibly changing his starting goalie, or the wonderful problem of having 2 goalies who should be able to win him some games in Round 2.

Isles have home ice advantage in the 2nd round for the first time since, holy shit, I think it's like 32 years! Damn shame the games will be at Barclays Center and not the Coliseum, but hey, they're playing in the 2nd round, which NO FUCKING BODY predicted! So who cares where it is?

Schedule
Game 1: Friday, April 26, 7 p.m., Barclays Center
Game 2: Sunday, April 28, 3 p.m., Barclays Center
Game 3: Wednesday, May 1, Raleigh
Game 4: Friday, May 3, 7 p.m. Raleigh
Game 5: Sunday, May 5, TBD, Barclays Center
Game 6: Tuesday, May 7, TBD, Raleigh
Game 7: Wednesday, May 8, TBD, Barclays Center

The Isles have been sitting around for over a week after sweeping the Penguins, while the Canes are fresh off their 2OT win over the Caps. Who has the advantage there? The Isles should obviously have fresher legs, but they may have let their foot off the gas for a bit now. Trotz has tried to keep practices spirited in order to avoid that, and the players have said they know they can't let off. The Canes may be exhausted for Game 1. Lucky for them, they get an extra day of rest between Games 2 & 3. If there's a Game 7, it's a back-to-back with travel.

The worst part is that there are 2 Friday evening games, and I'll be at my kid's spring league games! :chris18: Why don't they consult me on the schedule??? So careless of the league.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:51 pm 

I missed most of Game 1. I am obviously biased, but it sure looks to me like Lee was pushed into Mrazek on Barzal's disallowed goal. And Mrazek was half out of the crease.

As soon as Clutterbuck gave the puck away in OT I calmly said "and they're down 0-1 in the series". A few seconds later, they were officially. Clutterbuck had better step up fucking big time the rest of this series. That was such a bad pass attempt.

And the Sound Tigers lost Game 5 in OT tonight, so they're out. Wonder if the Isles call anyone up from them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:40 am 

Down 0-2, losing 2 home games.
Shitloads of missed chances. A ton of clanged iron. Knocked a Carolina D-man out of the game on the 1st shift. Their starting goalie left halfway through the game. They lost a forward in the 3rd period too.
Killed a 1:26 of 5 on 3. Had a 1-0 lead going into the 3rd. Actually scored a PP goal (sort of- Slavin scored it on his own team). Played well, just didn't score a goal that counted. Toews "kicked" a puck behind the Carolina goal line that wouldn't have scored on an empty net, but whichever Carolina goalie was in at the time LIFTED his pad as the centered puck came toward him, so it banked into the net off his other pad. Isles started celebrating and the ref called no-goal due to kicking. Toews' skate blade never leaves the ice. How is that a kick?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:32 pm 

Clusterfuck out. No timeline given. Looked like lower back issue. Dal Colle is in for him, so some line shuffling will happen.

Some Isles fans are saying they should have Greiss in. No offense to Greiss, he's been great all year. But did I miss the game where Lehner sucked? People are so fucking fickle. Unless Greiss is going to screen the opposing goalie on the non-existent powerplay, he's not the answer, because Lehner sure as hell isn't the problem.

Hearing Mrazek will miss at least Game 3. I don't know if McIlhenney can pull off another shut out. I obviously hope not.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:28 am 

I guess this series is boring enough that nobody else can enter my echo chamber. :lol:

Down 3-0. 5-2 loss, with 2 empty netters. Isles looked like they threw in the towel after the 3-2 goal halfway through the third. Brilliant clock management by the Canes, who went to the trap and cycled it in the Isles zone or ate it against the wall to run down minutes at a time.

Winner was scored when Lehner went behind the net to clear a dump. Aho knocked the puck out of the air, and somehow swiped at a bouncing puck to get it to Williams in front of the net, who knocked a bouncing puck in. Their first goal was a breakaway to Faulk coming out of the penalty box for a breakaway. Every bounce just seems to go Carolina's way, but they deserve it with their level of effort. I'm surprised at the Isles lack of desperation. Maybe more annoyed. Either way, their season is very close to being over.

Everyone says the 4th win is the hardest to get. If the Canes score early, I think the Isles will roll over. I'll miss most of game 4. I'll probably be happy about that.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:37 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I have watched some of these games. Will say a lot more has been happening on the ice than the scores have indicated.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:39 pm 
Big in Japan

My timing is poor with this series. Haven't really been able to see anything, and I'm not getting many highlights on my Twitter feed.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:37 pm 

E.L. wrote:
My timing is poor with this series. Haven't really been able to see anything, and I'm not getting many highlights on my Twitter feed.

Because there aren't many highlights. Isles have hit more iron than scored goals. Two of their goals have gone in off Canes players. Eberle and Nelson have totally disappeared after such great series vs the Pens. Anders Lee has 1 empty netter and gave a nice screen for Toews' goal (which went off a Cane defender). That's about it. So much for the big UFAs!

There isn't even really nastiness between the teams. It's like the most polite series I've ever seen. The biggest is the Twitter insult. After Bailey scored, Nelson kind of patted McIlhenny's mask as he skated by. Isles Twitter wrote "Tag. You're it." Canes Twitter replied "They're out here playing Tag. We're playing hockey."

So, Game 4 tomorrow. Has a team ever swept a round then gotten swept in the next? That's a very Islanders thing to do.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:50 am 

Sweepers to swept. Oh well.
The Isles could just never get going offensively. They clearly missed Boychuk on D. Hickey isn't terrible, but he got tossed around a bit.
Komarov with 2 DUMB penalties. 3 more years of this guy? Ug.

Still, almost every prediction for the season had the Isles in the bottom 5, if not dead last. They finished 5th in the league, swept the Pens and shocked everyone for at least 1 round. If anyone asked Isles fans before the season, we'd surely sign up for that.

Now, wait and see what Lou does with the lineup. Lehner has said he wants to stay. We've heard that before... Lee and Lou are supposedly stuck on terms. Never a word if Lou has made offers to Nelson or Eberle. Sbisa & Seidenberg can't leave fast enough for Isles fans.

Some RFAs who will get big raises too.

Gomez has to go. That PP was horrendous all year. Stand still. Grow roots. Wait for a pass, even when there's no passing lane to you... :chris18:

As always, I look forward to them being better next year.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:18 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Sorry, Chris.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:33 pm 

they vastly exceeded expectations this season. Went further than Tavares managed which is a huge bonus. I'd say once Isles fans get a day or two away from this loss everyone will be pretty happy and looking forward to next year.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:09 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
they vastly exceeded expectations this season. Went further than Tavares managed which is a huge bonus. I'd say once Isles fans get a day or two away from this loss everyone will be pretty happy and looking forward to next year.

Yeah. I predicted they'd get 84 points on an Isles site. So 103 is quite an improvement upon that! Making the 2nd round was awesome, and yes, I will admit that it was much more gratifying since Tavares and the Leafs were 1 and done (sorry Hounsy). It is just kind of weird to sweep and then get swept. Sweeping the Pens raised expectations big time, then to get swept sucked. But yeah, I'd have signed up for it if you told me this is how it would go, after I predicted 84 points.

The more rational fans are already over it. The "I told you so" crowd are still throwing tantrums that Lou didn't make big deadline acquisitions. They're all pointing to the Blue Jackets' success now. Who knows how new guys fit in a room, on-ice chemistry, etc?

And Thanks Skip.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:08 am 
OTP Historian

Damn, shitty way to end it but what a year compared to how everyone had them pegged, like you said Chris. Sorry buddy.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:31 am 
Big in Japan

Now time for a busy offseason. Do you get the band back together or do you enter the Bread/Bob sweepstakes? There's also a Boychuk is old-sized hole at RD...

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:33 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Now time for a busy offseason. Do you get the band back together or do you enter the Bread/Bob sweepstakes? There's also a Boychuk is old-sized hole at RD...

Trotz and Lou both said they know they need more scoring power. Lou admitted it's his fault for not getting a deadline deal done. Lip service, but that's a hell of a lot more than Snow would have given. He always said he did a good job.

Lots of talk about the Isles UFAs. No idea what will happen. They've got a bunch of RFAs too.
Boychuk is old and is having a tough time staying healthy, but when he is healthy he's been a lot better than expected. He was doing well in Trotz's system. Imagine that, an older, slower defenseman doing well in a STRUCTURED defense vs the run and gun shit show that Capuano and Weight ran. :lol: