OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stars vs. Preds
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:48 am 
Big in Japan

Assumed this would be a cakewalk so I didn't make a thread.

Heiskanen is here. What a player. He could be the guy who puts Dallas over the hump. Also, how can you not love a guy named Roope?

Post subject: Re: Stars vs. Preds
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:27 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Playoff Rinne finally showed up last night. That's the guy I remember against the Avs last season. :lol:

Totally rooting for my boy Zucc in this series. Also, eff the Preds. I used to kinda like them (and I still like P.K., irritating as he can be sometimes) but not anymore. Their asinine handling of the Austin Watson situation has done away with any respect I once had for that organization (though it shouldn't be surprising given how badly they appeared to handle the Mike Ribeiro situation).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:20 am 

Oy...the Preds are done in six. They go from Cup Final team to President's Trophy winners bounced in the second round, to out in the first.

I don't think they'll fire Laviolette (if they do GUARANTEED the Sabres pick up the phone the next day) but they most certainly are going to fire at least one assistant. Not that it's necessarily his fault, but how in hell can a team that can ice two power play units with ace long-bombers Subban, Ellis, Josi, and Ekholm and then put scrappy talent like Arvidsson, Forsberg, Turris (who has a nifty one-timer of his own), and Smith rank DEAD LAST on the man-advantage!?

Not that I have a ton of sympathy. I've no love lost with Nashville's team after last year's playoff series, though watching a home game there sure seems like it'd be fun.

Boy...wonder if they get rid of Subban. That would be something. Seems like they still need to make at least one more major tweak of some kind. The Stars have elite firepower up front if not a lot of depth, and Nashville just never seemed to have an answer.

Props to rookie head coach, DU's own Jim Montgomery on winning his first playoff series. The matchup between Dallas and St. Louis will be a very physical, very low-scoring affair.

Hurry the hell up, Vegas/SJ!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Burn it all down, says Athletico: https://theathletic.com/936308/2019/04/ ... or-change/

Columbus and Nashville made major moves at the deadline. They both started off slowly but while the Jackets eventually rounded into form, the Preds never quite gelled. Simmonds was a bust, and I worry about him long-term.

They jury rigged a centre trio of Johansen, Turris and Bonino. The latter is giving them their money's worth without the puck, while RJ had his first bad playoff. I pin that mostly on Turris, who was just plain hurt and bad this season. I don't know if he's just not a good fit, they don't have elite linemates for him or life without Mark Stone ain't what he thought it'd be. I think they owe it to themselves to make Turris and Granlund work together before selling them on the cheap. Those are still solid 2nd line pieces.

They also owe it to themselves to give their elite 4 one more shot. PK and Ellis were hurt this season and didn't look like themselves. Again, why deal them at their lowest points?

As is there's no cap room for a big move, hence speculation PK or Turris could go to help other areas. Otherwise throw Watson into the sun and use that money to re-sign Sissons.

Is Tolvanen fat? What's his deal?

Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson
Granlund-Turris-Tolvanen
Jarnkrok-Bonino-Smith
Salomaki-Sissons-Grimaldi

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-PK
Hamhuis-Fabbro

Rinros

C'mon, that's not a winning team?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:32 pm 

I think the Capitals proved last year, and the Penguins the two postseasons previous, that you can get away with a suspect defense so long as you have enough elite-level forwards up front. I don't think the reverse is true.

I think Poile sometimes overrates grit/toughness, though I've always assumed the Preds are one of the clubs that embraces analytics. Boyle and Simmonds were okay pickups at the time but both appeared to be playing hurt and in the end didn't provide near enough scoring punch. Wayne should not have taken that super-friendly team deal that he took years ago in Philadelphia, and I think he knows that now. Also not sure why in hell Philly didn't deal him sooner since they were essentially rebuilding.