OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:11 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Here we go. 9pm Central.

I want, at the very least, entertaining hockey. I know this one is gonna be scrappy as all hell, especially the moment Rittich enters the fray.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:10 pm 
King of Men

Now...the main course! Let's do this! Too bad for your 9pm start time professor! That's late. I had to nap during that 3rd period shit show from the Bruins.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:15 pm 
King of Men

Cale Makar watch is on....3-3 right now. UMASS and DU......2 minutes left.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 pm 
King of Men

harmfuljays wrote:
Cale Makar watch is on....3-3 right now. UMASS and DU......2 minutes left.

Going to OT. On ESPN 2 if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:24 pm 
King of Men

the longer this game stays scoreless the more it favors the Avs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:29 pm 
King of Men

Flames need to be stronger on the puck especially Johnny.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:58 pm 
King of Men

Flames took over in period 2. 2-0. UMASS/DU still in OT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:04 am 
King of Men

UMASS with the OT winner what a great game! Cale Makar watch extended to game 3.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:40 am 
King of Men

If you were going to tell me that Mike Smith was going to throw up a force field in Game 1 I probably would have laughed at you....but its the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:41 pm 

Avs played rather sluggish and conservative, and actually survived for about a period-and-a-half, but you just ain't gonna win with a weak gameplan like that.

The defense on that Mangiapane goal was atrocious. Weak stick checks when all you had to do was stand in front of the guy.

Quite possibly the worst game I've ever seen from Carl Soderberg. Dude was either hurt or was suffering from food poisoning. He was so slow out there I'm convinced that black hole they just took a picture of was sucking him in.

Also, WAY too many players passing up on easy shots. Smith was brilliant when he needed to be but he really wasn't challenged nearly enough.

Special teams also played a huge role. Avs went 0-4 or something like that, and then gave up two power play goals. Can't do that.

In other news, while I'm happy for UMass and sad for DU, I'm also concerned. That game was chippy/dirty as all hell, more flying elbows than Saturday Night's Main Event. Just had too many Avs prospects get injured in major tournaments right before they were set to turn pro. Don't want that trend to continue.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:53 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Avs prevail after a pretty sloppy game on both sides. They need to put more pressure on Smith, move hm laterally, get in his face. Easier said than done though.

Looking forward to seeing Makar make his pro debut back in Denver. Should give the Avs a lift.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:09 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I tried to stay up for the end but fell asleep. Fun series to watch though! I'm just old and start work early. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:02 pm 

Avs did a hell of a lot more right in this game than they did previously. This time they skated, hit, and I absolutely LOVED their cycle game in the offensive zone. But they still did not fix what needed to be fixed on special teams, nor did they get enough pressure down low on Smith. Way too many one-timers and snipes, Smith will save those easily (though in his overly dramatic fashion he'll make it LOOK hard). :lol: The one time they crashed the next with abandon, lo and behold, Jesse Compher's brother J.T. scored the game-tying goal.

I don't understand why you would go five-hole with Smith. The way he always flops forward with the glove you should be aiming high. It was two high snipes that beat him the other night.

Sounds like headhunter Sam Bennett got yet another guy with a late hit, this time Sam Girard is out with what looks like a shoulder injury. Looks like it'll be Trial By Fire for Cale Makar, who makes his NHL debut tonight. He's been QB'ing the 2nd unit power play in Girard's place in practice today. He will wear #8 for the Avs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:09 pm 
King of Men

Going to this game tonight...if anyone wants to buy game 4 tix let me know. I've got 3 in Club. I'll let them go for cost.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:03 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Going to this game tonight...if anyone wants to buy game 4 tix let me know. I've got 3 in Club. I'll let them go for cost.

Damn...so wish I was in town, I'd take them for sure if I was.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:02 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

What a game!!! That was an old fashioned beat down, we shall see how the Flambees respond on Wednesday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:46 pm 

Man, if they don't wake up after THAT, I don't know if they ever will. I expect them to come out swinging tomorrow though. I can't imagine this team will just sit back like they did last night. Avs had better be prepared.

I know it wasn't the result you wanted Jay, but did you have a good time regardless? And the real question: Did you wear one of those wristbands so you could take part in the pregame light show?

Anyway, I loved that game so much I practically didn't sleep. Just a fantastic effort all around. And in his first NHL game, Cale Makar scores his first NHL goal with his first NHL shot, against his hometown team. Could not have scripted it better, and the Flames (especially Backlund) defended it well.

Not often you can say a goalie who gave up six goals in a losing effort played well, but I think Mike Smith did exactly that. The Flames just didn't have it, and the Avs besieged them in their own end, nearly doubling them up on shots. Even the fourth line, featuring a guy who's usually a possession metrics black hole in Gabriel Bourque had insanely lopsided shot counts in the home team's favor.

What I loved most about the win is that the two biggest shit-disturbers on the Flames, Bennett and Tkachuk, essentially got themselves kicked out of the game with respective 10-minute misconducts. They panned over to Papa Keith in the stands and he looked annoyed at his son. :laugh: Their attempts to try and rattle the Avs completely backfired and they were the ones who lost their cool. I'm not a huge fan of Tkachuk (though his talent is undeniable) but man I absolutely LOATHE Sam Bennett. Fuck that mustachioed shitbag all the way to hell. He has now injured THREE Avalanche players this season alone. None of the actions taken to injure them were outright dirty, but you'll never convince me there wasn't clear intention for him to do so in all three instances (the incident involving Ian Cole was a fight, so, whatever, but the other two he laid late hits up high on players in the defensive zone who didn't have the puck). I guess when you're a draft bust you have to make yourself useful in other ways. Loved seeing him completely lose his shit on Matt Calvert and nearly hit a ref, earning himself a misconduct on top of a regular penalty.

I certainly hope this continues but the Flames did not win the regular season Western Conference title (they raise banners for that shit now) playing like that. I am concerned Bill Peters will either/or 1) Get his team back on track, and 2) Put in Big Save Dave, who for some weird reason plays his best games against the Avs while also shit-talking the hell out of them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Man, if they don't wake up after THAT, I don't know if they ever will. I expect them to come out swinging tomorrow though. I can't imagine this team will just sit back like they did last night. Avs had better be prepared.

I know it wasn't the result you wanted Jay, but did you have a good time regardless? And the real question: Did you wear one of those wristbands so you could take part in the pregame light show?

Anyway, I loved that game so much I practically didn't sleep. Just a fantastic effort all around. And in his first NHL game, Cale Makar scores his first NHL goal with his first NHL shot, against his hometown team. Could not have scripted it better, and the Flames (especially Backlund) defended it well.

Not often you can say a goalie who gave up six goals in a losing effort played well, but I think Mike Smith did exactly that. The Flames just didn't have it, and the Avs besieged them in their own end, nearly doubling them up on shots. Even the fourth line, featuring a guy who's usually a possession metrics black hole in Gabriel Bourque had insanely lopsided shot counts in the home team's favor.

What I loved most about the win is that the two biggest shit-disturbers on the Flames, Bennett and Tkachuk, essentially got themselves kicked out of the game with respective 10-minute misconducts. They panned over to Papa Keith in the stands and he looked annoyed at his son. :laugh: Their attempts to try and rattle the Avs completely backfired and they were the ones who lost their cool. I'm not a huge fan of Tkachuk (though his talent is undeniable) but man I absolutely LOATHE Sam Bennett. Fuck that mustachioed shitbag all the way to hell. He has now injured THREE Avalanche players this season alone. None of the actions taken to injure them were outright dirty, but you'll never convince me there wasn't clear intention for him to do so in all three instances (the incident involving Ian Cole was a fight, so, whatever, but the other two he laid late hits up high on players in the defensive zone who didn't have the puck). I guess when you're a draft bust you have to make yourself useful in other ways. Loved seeing him completely lose his shit on Matt Calvert and nearly hit a ref, earning himself a misconduct on top of a regular penalty.

I certainly hope this continues but the Flames did not win the regular season Western Conference title (they raise banners for that shit now) playing like that. I am concerned Bill Peters will either/or 1) Get his team back on track, and 2) Put in Big Save Dave, who for some weird reason plays his best games against the Avs while also shit-talking the hell out of them.

Big Character test for the Flames tonight who looked terrible. Jonny was pushed off the puck repeatedly and Mike Smith and the D went full on sieve. The biggest problem for me is that the Flames looked disinterested. Even Tckahagchcuk and Bennett.....just doing their job and not doing it very well. :colbert:

Nathan MacKinnon is just a beast. Possibly the biggest single game controller in the league. He's a monster.

Somehow we scored sweet tickets on the 1st level and brought my old man (Fantasy Hockey winner)......A PRIVATE bathroom and Concierge! F'n awesome......I drank a significant amount of beverages and became irritated with the fans who chanted Flames Fans suck and Mikes Smith sucks. So we left after the 6th goal. Too bad any of you guys aren't around as we seem to be able to score some decent tickets and I'd love to share the experience with you all. All in all it was a great time/experience with the old man who I am sure I don't have much more time with. Good Memories.

I've seen a lot of games over the years in Denver and the fans have changed. That type of crappy behaviour used to happen elsewhere....unfortunately with the transplants and :bandwagon: it seems to have finally landed in Denver. Too bad. :roll:

I did wear one of those wrist bands (Marco Polo'd it) and I also cheered the shit out of Cale Makar. :yayyy:

I've seen all this before with the Flames so its hard not to write them off. Put on a good showing and win tonight and they are back in it.....lose and you can stick a fork in them. I am hoping I enjoy the result a little more tonight! But the Flames are going to have to put in work if they want to win.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:50 am 
Big in Japan

Much like the deposed Lightning, the Flames walked away with their division. Wonder if they're rusty playing meaningful hockey.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:09 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Big Character test for the Flames tonight who looked terrible. Jonny was pushed off the puck repeatedly and Mike Smith and the D went full on sieve. The biggest problem for me is that the Flames looked disinterested. Even Tckahagchcuk and Bennett.....just doing their job and not doing it very well. :colbert:

Nathan MacKinnon is just a beast. Possibly the biggest single game controller in the league. He's a monster.

Somehow we scored sweet tickets on the 1st level and brought my old man (Fantasy Hockey winner)......A PRIVATE bathroom and Concierge! F'n awesome......I drank a significant amount of beverages and became irritated with the fans who chanted Flames Fans suck and Mikes Smith sucks. So we left after the 6th goal. Too bad any of you guys aren't around as we seem to be able to score some decent tickets and I'd love to share the experience with you all. All in all it was a great time/experience with the old man who I am sure I don't have much more time with. Good Memories.

I've seen a lot of games over the years in Denver and the fans have changed. That type of crappy behaviour used to happen elsewhere....unfortunately with the transplants and :bandwagon: it seems to have finally landed in Denver. Too bad. :roll:

I did wear one of those wrist bands (Marco Polo'd it) and I also cheered the shit out of Cale Makar. :yayyy:

I've seen all this before with the Flames so its hard not to write them off. Put on a good showing and win tonight and they are back in it.....lose and you can stick a fork in them. I am hoping I enjoy the result a little more tonight! But the Flames are going to have to put in work if they want to win.

Well I'm glad you and Wayne had a good time in spite of fans who got carried away (I'm generally not a big fan of taunting chants, too scared of karmic backlash, and I really don't like fans going after other fans...I'd rather just have a conversation about hockey and have fun). All the love to you, the old man, and the rest of the Harms clan. I hope you're wrong and he remains with us for a good long while.

I honestly DO NOT want them to put in Big Save Dave. That dude practically owns the Avs, and he's got swagger to spare. Not that Smith has been an "easy out," but I like the Avs' chances if he stays in a little more than if Rittich gets the nod.

We'll see if Peters makes the necessary adjustments. Avs are doing a great job of moving the puck and getting in behind the Flames' D, but Peters is a master tactician, he's probably poring over video and seeing where the leaks are. I must admit I haven't been thrilled with the performances of Erik Johnson and Ian Cole. Both have had some egregious turnovers in this series, need to tighten it up.

Derick Brassard missed last game due to illness, but Sven Andrighetto was phenomenal (apart from one kinda dumb penalty) in a 4th line role. I would be rather surprised if they went back to Brassard, who's been a pretty "meh" pickup thus far.