OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:43 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

2 vs 3. Home ice advantage for the Isles for the first time in 31 years. I think they'll take advantage of that, and the emotion of playing at the Coliseum and having far outplayed everyone's expectations for them. Isles in 7.

And in the words of Celebrity Death Match's Mills Lane, "let's get it on!" :viking:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:20 pm 
King of Men

super glad I chose this one to watch. Great game! OT awaits!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:05 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

The isles win. Thhhheeee isles wiiiiiin.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 pm 

These guys are trying to kill me. I'm too old and fat for this shit. They may give me a heart attack.
So happy for Bailey that he got it. Fans are always busting that guy's balls, and he hit the post with like 5 seconds left in regulation.
Poor Kuhnackl too. 2 goals disallowed in 1 game. 1 because Martin was still offside coming out, and the other because he collided with Murray. The refs were shit all night. I know they swallow the whistle in the playoffs, but that call against Lee was brutal after the other shit they let go.

Game 2 is Friday. I'll miss about the first half- due to spring league. Fucking spring league vs playoffs. :chris18: And the rink doesn't have a TV.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:13 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Nice game. I managed to catch OT after getting home from work. I scared my dogs yelling "SHOOT IT!!!" when Barzal was dipsy-doodling in the slot area.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:31 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Nice game. I managed to catch OT after getting home from work. I scared my dogs yelling "SHOOT IT!!!" when Barzal was dipsy-doodling in the slot area.

My dogs are used to it. :lol: Miss18.1 had low battle level- she fell asleep on the couch about halfway through the third period on the couch. Slept through Mrs.18 and me yelling for Leddy & Bailey's goals. Kid must have been whooped.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:40 pm 

When Malkin and Mayfield got coincidentals, the ref said "I've got Geno and this guy for minors". So now the Isles have That Kid and This Guy. Nothing like being well respected around the league! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:56 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Malkin is a hall of famer so I get what the ref is doing...but still funny. Home ice or not the islanders should be channeling any underdog vibe they can find, as that is what fuels them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:10 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Malkin is a hall of famer so I get what the ref is doing...but still funny. Home ice or not the islanders should be channeling any underdog vibe they can find, as that is what fuels them.

As the Isles won the game to clinch a playoff spot, Brendan Burke read off a bunch of the season predictions from pundits, including Deadspin's "ranking NHL teams from best to the Islanders", or whatever it was. Supposedly they've replaced all those predictions in the locker room with all the ones saying the Penguins will win the series. Usually the "us against the world" attitude wears off quickly. I love that it hasn't.

Lehner said last night that he doesn't know how the Isles fans could scream so loudly for so long. Said he's genuinely impressed. :lol:
Trotz said the fans faltered during the 2nd period and told them they have to do better next time. I love it. Fucking guy coaches the FANS too! What a genius!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:30 pm 

Greiss and Beauvillier in the optional skate today. Beauvillier missed yesterday's practice and is a "game time decision". No idea what happened to him. Dal Colle took his spot in practice. Lehner presumed to be starting. Nobody knows if Trotz plans to use Lehner until he looks bad or if he plans to get Greiss into a game or 2.

So funny reading/hearing so many NHL pundits talking about what a great atmosphere the Coliseum has. These are a bunch of the same pricks who said 5 years ago that it was a dump, keeping UFAs from signing with the Isles because it was so awful to play at and too small. They made it even smaller with the facelift renovations, but improved nothing else. And now it's a great place to play... This is like stamping on a turd, pouring syrup on it and letting folks decide that they're eating a wonderful pancake.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:12 pm 
Big in Japan

It can be a dump and have a great atmosphere at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:23 pm 

E.L. wrote:

So is the atmosphere mainly the "classless" Isles fans? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:58 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

Ahh, the Joe...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:54 pm 

This series is going to get ugly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:51 am 

Yeah we shall see what happens back in the Pitt. But should the Islanders prevail in this series, they absolutely cannot move the playoffs over to Barclays. Slap an injunction on that shit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:46 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Yeah we shall see what happens back in the Pitt. But should the Islanders prevail in this series, they absolutely cannot move the playoffs over to Barclays. Slap an injunction on that shit.

Unfortunately that's set in stone by the league. I believe the Isles would love to stay at the Coliseum full time from now until Belmont is ready.

Game 3 is a Sunday noon game. WTF??? I might miss the game due to Miss18.1's tournament. :chris18:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:59 pm 

Uhh that's 9am on the west coast - barely even awake at 9am on a Sunday. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:08 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Uhh that's 9am on the west coast - barely even awake at 9am on a Sunday. :lol:

Yeah, why they made it THAT early is beyond my understanding! It's not like they did an NFL schedule, having games at like 1, 4, 7 & 10, like I've been suggesting for years. The rest of the games are at like 7, 7:30 and 10. Dumb.

I missed the 1st and a little more than half of the second due to the tournament. Infuriating- our last opponent forfeited at the last minute, saying all their girls had tryouts at another rink an hour away. Like they didn't know that before our girls were DRESSED for the game? So we played a scrimmage. Fun, but myself and the other 2 Isles fans were pissed.
Then we found a sports bar, where 23 of the 25 TVs had the Masters on. Boooo! Other TV had the Celtics game. I asked for the Isles game and everyone looked at me like I was on crack. Sports bar with golf on??? Then Komarov scored and I gave a pretty subdued "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!" The looks I got! :lol: It's not like I slammed the table and screamed "suck it Pens!" or anything like that. And no, I don't do that at home. :lol:

3-0 lead for the Isles. The Pens looked totally dejected, as did their fans. People can bag on the Isles and their fans all they want. Isles fans keep cheering. When the Pens scored to take a 1-0 lead in Game 1, Isles fans got louder in support of their team. Pens fans sat back with looks of disbelief.

Still, the last win is always the toughest. I still think this one could go 7 games. The Isles need to show no mercy at all in Game 4.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:43 pm 
Big in Japan

Go Isles! One more!

Eberle is gonna get PAID this offseason.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Go Isles! One more!

Eberle is gonna get PAID this offseason.

I was saying late in the season that I wished they'd re-signed him. Now it's gonna cost way more. But I still hope they bring him back. He has openly said he wants to avenge his 2 assist playoff performance in Edmonton, and show that he can perform on the big stage. 3 goals in 3 games, plus 2 assists.