OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Playoff Ritual
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:07 pm 
King of Men

I thought we had discussed this at some point in time but I can't find it. I am back to vacuuming the man's area before game time and the lava lamp must be on. I also have a Bruins blanket that can't be used but must be draped straightly and appropriately before game time over the back of the couch. Quite honestly I have to do this, might be OCD or something. Anyone else got some quirks they have before watching a game? Maybe I should have been a goalie.

Post subject: Re: The Playoff Ritual
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:33 pm 
He of the red stockings

used to have all sorts of rituals & taboos - more for playing than watching
now not so much for watching - just like to have beer in the fridge, and have dinner done and cleaned up by puck drop
for playing, I have my omelet in the afternoon, then don't eat again until after I play
and I never shave on game day :clint:

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:58 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

harmfuljays wrote:
I thought we had discussed this at some point in time but I can't find it. I am back to vacuuming the man's area before game time and the lava lamp must be on. I also have a Bruins blanket that can't be used but must be draped straightly and appropriately before game time over the back of the couch. Quite honestly I have to do this, might be OCD or something. Anyone else got some quirks they have before watching a game? Maybe I should have been a goalie.

:lol: You do sound very goalie-like.

I've got an Isles blanket that used to always be over the back of the couch, logo out & perfectly level. Since the lockout I always turned it logo in since I was pissed at them & every other NHL team. (I wanted to pack it away, but the wife wanted another blanket around. She's always cold...) So even though I'm totally back on the bandwagon (maybe driving it?), it still stays logo hidden for consistency with this impressive Isles season, because it's the Cup...

Game day rituals when I play: Haven't worn a mouthpiece in years so I chew gum. 3 pieces of peppermint Orbit. I also like to have perfect tape on my stick blade. Any nicks or peels & it gets replaced.
Nothing about eating really, other than I try not to eat a lot soon before playing. Once went straight from a huge dinner (finished kids' fries in addition to my own) and played like stir-fried dog shit.
NO equipment, jersey included, can be washed in-season. After the season is over it can all be washed. Unless of course the team is on a really shitty luck streak. Then wash the bad luck away.
I used to listen to the same playlist before all games (okay, back then it was a mix tape), but these days it's anything from a hockey game on the radio to an audio book, to whatever CD is in the car already...

Funny though- I've passed quite a few of these on to my kids. Especially the pre-game playlist. Need to get her psyched up to play hard. :mulletbutch:

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:44 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Been so long for me I don't remember.

We usually vacation in April (our anniversary) and the wife commented on how it's been good that the Avs haven't been to the playoffs, except in 2010 when, of course, we got married (I actually did sneak away to watch a couple of the games) so I wonder what she'll think when they're good again.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:51 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Our only "playoff ritual" I believe was when me and my buddy Jeff drove out to camp in Carbondale by Avalanche Lake with the intention of dumping off some hair from his lucky cat (he was our good luck charm whilst watching the Finals in '01) so we figured we'd try it on our way to Vegas via Moab. Snowed on us the next morning so we skipped the hike and dumped the hair into a nearby stream. Avs made it to the WCFs before Roy's infamous Statue of Liberty gaffe and meltdown. Coincidence?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:29 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Drive to Detroit. Go on a pub crawl which includes The Anchor Bar, The Post Bar and Cobo Joe's. Drink a beer at each stop topped with a shot of Jaegermeister at Cobo Joe's with the staff. Head over to Joe Louis Arena. Get a double shot of scotch or find Joel the Beer Man for a 24 oz Canadian. repeat during each period including OT's. Return to Cobo Joe's for a night cap. Head to Lafayette Coney Island for coneys and fries. Head home. Repeat as necessary until eliminated or Cup won.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:51 pm 
Big in Japan

No Rituals, but I only watch games with the pure of Hab heart.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:09 am 
OTP Historian

I pretty much just wear a hat or a jersey. Couple of beers.

Though I think I need to make it a ritual to not watch the fuckign games with the way my luck has been.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:35 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Get up, brew a coffee, watch the game. That's how it's supposed to be done, right?

9:00 AM starts. Used to be 5:00 PM. Would leave work right at 4:30, hope that traffic wasn't backed up, get home, crack a beer, yell at the TV for 2 1/2 hours, drink 2-3 more beer, then slowly wind down. By then, I'm too tired to cook dinner and inevitably get a sub or fast food and come back and watch the WC game.

Ah, great health.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:41 pm 
Big in Japan

Hey Sask, I went on a really awkward date with an awkward girl from Melbourne a month or two ago. I think she's headed back to your turf this week. She's awkward, can't miss her.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:11 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

E.L. wrote:
Hey Sask, I went on a really awkward date with an awkward girl from Melbourne a month or two ago. I think she's headed back to your turf this week. She's awkward, can't miss her.

Obviously every girl in Melbourne is well adjusted and extremely comfortable in social situations here, so I should be able to spot her from the plane.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

Hey what happened with your Best Buy counter girl? You end up going on a date with her?

Wings win again when I don't watch.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:08 pm 
He of the red stockings

May be starting one inadvertantly:

game 4 and game 7, brother shows up on lamb from girlfriend, crush 2 pizzas and whatnot ... two OT wins ... :o

gonna smoke a different cigar after each round ....round 1 is a gas station black and mild

setting the bar nice and low for round 2 :laugh:

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:54 pm 
He of the red stockings

OK, caught off guard ... didn't have a chance to improve my inventory

so smoking another gas station Black & Mild ...honestly, didn't expect to be smoking another

I had predicted Rags in 6 ... :suprisedtored:

glad to miss that call

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:22 am 
OTP Historian

I may have to light up one of my Cohiba Siglo IIIs if the Wings advance...and have some of my St. Nicholas Abbey 12-year rum...

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:51 pm 
He of the red stockings

Now that's raising the bar :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:28 am 
OTP Historian

My apologies if this has been posted already, but this is a part of the playoffs every year on CBC and they are amazing. Meet the guy who created the pre-game montages for CBC playoff games.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/05/ ... -montages/

Check them out on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... E71BB10591

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:45 pm 
King of Men

Still Vacuuming!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:58 pm 
He of the red stockings

Lighting up! :clint: :beer: :beer: :beer: :clint: :beer: :beer: :beer: :clint: :beer:

:cheers: Harmy, we may be the only members left with dogs in the fight

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:18 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I think Sask still likes the Hawks.