OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:27 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Watched the whole game last night. Jesus, what a marathon 2-1 in 2OT for the Knights. It's getting harder and harder to watch these late OT games is you get into your mid-forties. The game got boring in parts but a valiant effort by both squads. Each team had virtually nothing left to give by about half way through the first OT and the game quickly deteriorated from there. Amazing how team speed is the first thing to go when fatigue sets in. The marathon games may be the way to go with Vegas as they don't really change their game plan at all.

With a depleted defensive corps in front of him, Quick almost stole the game by himself stopping 54 shots -- but after expending all that energy, gets no reward. Must be demoralizing.

Doughty, Muzzin and Forbort were out on D for the Kings -- Alex Martinez played near 45 minutes which is totally insane. Fantenberg (?) played 41 minutes and Phaneuf 33. Kopitar was a beast for the forwards at 39 minutes.

The Kings simply don't have the depth or team speed to match the Knights line for line -- the Knights puck possession stats / Corsi must have been through the roof, but what remains interesting about this series through two games is that with the stifling defensive structure, goals are at a premium. The goals seem to all be coming off the counter attack. Vegas wins both games at home by a goal and there are have been a total of 4 goals in the entire series.

If you are the Kings you have to wonder what needs to be done to win game 3. With Doughty and possibly Muzzin coming back, they will be pissed and should be able to grind out a win tomorrow, but it sort of feels like the series is over. It could go 6 games maybe, but don't think the Kings will be able to pull out more than 1 victory unless there are some huge and unexpected changes to both lineups.

Vegas is not going anywhere. They are the only team in the league who haven't lost a playoff game -- like ever. Lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:38 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Gah, that OT except for a couple crazy flurries by Vegas was awful to watch. Kings were just slogging it up out there.

Not sure what L.A. does either, they already look gravely outmatched.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:50 am 
Big in Japan

Knights! Knights! Knights!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:12 pm 

Would love to see the Knights go all the way. Pure irony.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:28 am 
OTP Clown

Logical Progression wrote:
Would love to see the Knights go all the way. Pure irony.

Same.

Knights vs Jackets for the final.

:bandwagon:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:42 am 
King of Men

Impressive, most impressive. The whole Vegas team seems to move with a certain amount of fluidity. They have my attention now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:58 pm 

Been watching the San Jose v. Anaheim series in the West as well. The way it looks, neither team stands a chance against Vegas. Not even close.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:17 am 
King of Men

Good. The less Southern California the better!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:35 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

harmfuljays wrote:

Both SoCal teams down 3-0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:30 pm 

us 679 part trois wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
Both SoCal teams down 3-0
Well, Vegas is ostensibly SoCal, it's right on the border and like a 4 hour drive from LA. Great rivalries in that belt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:20 am 

Vegas with the sweep. They are playing near perfect hockey right now but what seems to get overlooked is how disciplined they are defensively without the puck. There was virtually no where to go in the middle of the ice for the Kings on their breakouts for much of the series. Reminiscent of how the Kings played D circa 2012. Fleury playing beyond the known universe. Vegas will likely have a week layoff before Round 2. Hope they don't lose their form but Gallant will surely have some black magic up his sleeve for their next test against the Sharks. Should be a good one.

Go Vegas!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:30 am 

Oh I dunno if I'd call it perfect but they did beat the Kings at their own game. FTR this was not very watchable hockey. A few fun flurries and breakaways but otherwise this as a neutral zone slogfest.

See ya Kings. I feel bad for Anze, whom I genuinely like (he'd be the greatest King of all Time if not for a guy named Gretzky). Also feel kinda bad for Jonny Quick, who was absolutely stellar and L.A.'s best player by far. As for Dustin Brown and the rest of that crew, good riddance.

Some Kings players went surprisingly cold down the stretch. Tyler Toffoli and Jeff Carter were nonexistent in this series. New acquisition Dion Phaneuf also didn't do much.

Blake appears to have things going in the right direction but I think he still has some work to do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 am 
King of the One-Liner

Pokecheque wrote:
See ya Kings. I feel bad for Anze, whom I genuinely like (he'd be the greatest King of all Time if not for a guy named Gretzky).

I Might be bias but Marcel Dionne is 6th all time NHL points and 5th for goals.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:07 am 
King of Men

Who is that guy in the net for Vegas!!!!!!!?????? Superman!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:26 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
See ya Kings. I feel bad for Anze, whom I genuinely like (he'd be the greatest King of all Time if not for a guy named Gretzky).

Ehhhh that's true I kinda forgot about Marcel. Someone needs to do an all-time Kings greats lineup. The forward corps would be very impressive, not sure about the back end apart from Blake/Doughty. I know Robinson played there but that was pretty much near the end of his career.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:28 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Ehhhh that's true I kinda forgot about Marcel. Someone needs to do an all-time Kings greats lineup. The forward corps would be very impressive, not sure about the back end apart from Blake/Doughty. I know Robinson played there but that was pretty much near the end of his career.

Big Murph. Duchesne. Lubo!

I forgot about Schneider.

Paul Coffey briefly!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:22 pm 
Big in Japan

Reminds me a bit of when Carolina won the Cup. They weren't the favourites, but coming out of the lockout they were fast, skilled and kinda small, so everyone assumed they could be out-muscled. Instead, they lucked into the new style of play and reaped the benefits before other teams could catch up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:33 pm 

They will beat the Sharks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:43 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Big Murph. Duchesne. Lubo!

I forgot about Schneider.

Paul Coffey briefly!

That Lubo-led blueline that gave the Avs everything they could handle in 2001 was sorely underrated. Norstrom, Miller, Visnovsky, Modry, Boucher, and Schneider. And Boucher's career kinda took a nosedive after he got nailed in the eye with a puck just one year after that run, ironically, against the Avs again.

Well at least we'd have no trouble putting together a list of all-time greats for the other team!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:53 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Reminds me a bit of when Carolina won the Cup. They weren't the favourites, but coming out of the lockout they were fast, skilled and kinda small, so everyone assumed they could be out-muscled. Instead, they lucked into the new style of play and reaped the benefits before other teams could catch up.

Man did Carolina get lucky in that a similarly-built Sabres team was missing almost it's entire blue line for those Conference Finals.