OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:25 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Should be a barn burner SCF matchup. Both teams are pretty banged up.

It will be interesting to watch how a team of seeming destiny like the Preds fare under pressure with a Stanley Cup on the line.

Looking like a quintessential battle - one team on the brink of being considered a dynasty, the other a newbie underdog first shot at the dance.

Looking forward to a great final.

Game one goes Monday, May 29th at 5pm at PPG Paints Arena.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:40 am 
Big in Japan

Impossible to please the haters and big market boobs, but this is a great final for the league. Nashville's the darling of this season and a feelgood story. Pittsburgh is the champ, the incumbent. Easy to hate.

Sid vs. PK is going to be one hell of a match up.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:56 am 
OTP Clown

PK! PK! PK!

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:29 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I hope the Preds take it, but doubt it.

I say Pens in 6. But again, I hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:59 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Pittsburgh will probably win. I am rooting for Nashville.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:33 am 

RW wrote:
Pittsburgh will probably win.
I am not so sure. If the Preds big 4 D can contain the Crosby line and the Malkin line, then it comes down to goaltending - where the Preds have a clear edge. Those are two big 'ifs' though.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:28 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

In addition to PK shitting on Bergevin's desk, I'd also like to see PA Parenteau be able to send Garth Snow a public thanks for waiving him so he could wind up on the Preds...

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:46 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Logical Progression wrote:
RW wrote:
I am not so sure. If the Preds big 4 D can contain the Crosby line and the Malkin line, then it comes down to goaltending - where the Preds have a clear edge. Those are two big 'ifs' though.

I agree completely with your analysis. That is exactly where the series will be won or lost. Game 1 goes to Pittsburgh although Nashville showed a lot of courage in coming back from that horror show 1st period where they even gave up an own goal. They showed a lot of heart in defeat. They will be able to build on that.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:43 am 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:

Whoah, wait a second...Preds have a clear edge in net? Rinne has had one season in the past 5 or so where he was good. He's been great most of the time in the playoffs so far but he's shown he can fall apart and just leak bad goals. I think Murray's the better goalie for sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:14 am 
Big in Japan

Preds lost momentum on a lame offside and penalty call, yet still came back to shut down the Pens for 31 minutes (no shots for Pit). I'd say no team has a clear edge after game one.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 am 

Unbelievable defensive performance by the Preds - the Pens went 37 minutes including the entire second period without a shot yet manage to eek out the win on some timely opportunities. Ironically it was the goaltending that let them down (Bosc...). 4 goals on 11 shots for Rinne who otherwise has been Conn Smythe worthy to date.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:48 am 
OTP Historian

Unbelievable defensive performance by the Preds - the Pens went 37 minutes including the entire second period without a shot yet manage to eek out the win on some timely opportunities. Ironically it was the goaltending that let them down (Bosc...). 4 goals on 11 shots for Rinne who otherwise has been Conn Smythe worthy to date.

That post looks like it was written with the benefit of hindsight, but I saw your post yesterday but hadn't replied yet. Even before last night I would have given PIT the edge in goaltending.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:37 pm 

Bosc wrote:
That post looks like it was written with the benefit of hindsight, but I saw your post yesterday but hadn't replied yet. Even before last night I would have given PIT the edge in goaltending.
Well 3 goals on 26 shots is still not great goaltending at this time of year. I still give the edge to the Preds in goal. Overall Rinne's body of work has been better than the Murray/ Fleury this playoff. Granted, experience goes to the Pens which counts a great deal this time of year.

The Pens had no business winning game 1 and had better get their shit together for game 2. But if they win game 2 on some shaky goaltending by the Preds - then all bets are off.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:51 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Of all the things I hate in hockey there is nothing that comes even close to calling a goal back on review because of off-sides. All because the NHL completely lost their shit over very obvious bad call during a meaningless regular season game. Ironically, that game was one where the Preds lost because Matt Duchene was very obviously off-side but the refs failed to blow the whistle.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:55 pm 

Quote:
The Pens had no business winning game 1 and had better get their shit together for game 2. But if they win game 2 on some shaky goaltending by the Preds - then all bets are off.
Questionable whether game 2 can be pinned solely on Rinne or not, but he gets the yank after allowing 4 goals on 23 shots (.840) - some pretty shaky goaltending on at least 2 of the goals - but Rinne thrives on being busy and went cold after multiple minutes without a shot on goal.

With the next two in Smashville, anything is possible. But Murray is playing out of his mind and Guentzal is money. Hard to imagine Nashville taking 4 of the next 5.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:52 am 
King of Men

This stupid reviewable offside shit needs to go. Its not relevant to the game to alter the outcome because somebody's foot was a hair over the line. Now there has been one in both games of the final. Good luck explaining that stupid shit to a new fan.

This series is shaping up to be pretty anticlimatic. I guess we have to concern ourselves with a Rookie goalie winning 2 Stanley Cups and will mushy Sid call it quits after this.

Did anyone catch the Nashville fans completely missing the fact that their guy scored a hat trick in Game 6 last round? I suppose hockey is a good enough excuse to party.... :bandwagon: don't really need to understand it. Eventually the hats did rain down after the scoreboard queued them in. I suppose over exuberance is better than none at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:55 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Until you loss at home things are far from over.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:50 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Until you loss at home things are far from over.
Just ask the 2011 Canucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:06 pm 
Big in Japan

All about Rinne. The Preds played well enough to split the series in Pittsburgh, but their goalie let them down.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:21 pm 

Yes Rinne's numbers have been on a steady decline from one series to the next throughout these playoffs. Not to mention he has never beaten the Penguins - like ever.

Wonder if mental fatigue is finally catching up with him. He's always been a bit of a streaky goalie and what's been almost more impressive are how timely the Pens have been able to convert the few scoring chances they get. Inactivity is like kryptonite for Rinne.