OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:37 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Boudreau feeling the pressure.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gott ... ser-short/

Blues can wrap it up Wednesday on the road but that extra day off should help the Mild get their shit together and avoid the sweep.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:25 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Once again, Boudreau will get the lion's share of the blame when it's his front office who should be to blame.

Such a bummer. I don't like the Wylde at all, but I'm still a big fan of Boudreau, but I fear this'll be the final nail in his NHL coaching career.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:43 pm 
King of Men

For every BoudYeo there is a Yang...and I am sure Mike Yeo finds this most satisfying. Its not every day you get to punt the balls of the coach who succeeded you being fired.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:50 pm 
Big in Japan

Minny faded down the stretch after being one of the best teams all year. They got cold at the worst time (although they did win 4 of their last 5 in the reg. season.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:01 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Once again, Boudreau will get the lion's share of the blame when it's his front office who should be to blame.

Such a bummer. I don't like the Wylde at all, but I'm still a big fan of Boudreau, but I fear this'll be the final nail in his NHL coaching career.

There is no way that this is the final nail in his coaching career. A team fired him to hire Randy fucking Carlyle again. Worse coaches have gotten recycled multiple times, even by the same teams.

This is his first full season behind an NHL bench where he didn't win the division. The Wild finished 3 points behind the Hawks, with a better goal differential by more than 30 accounting for empty nets.

The guy will continue to get coaching jobs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:35 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Boudreau's playoff sample size is too big to ignore. He shares equal if not greater culpability with respect to his teams lack of playoff success -- which spans a decade. I still think he will find work as a head coach in the NHL again. Just don't expect him to be the front runner to be head coach for the next stacked team that comes along.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Logical Progression wrote:
Boudreau's playoff sample size is too big to ignore. He shares equal if not greater culpability with respect to his teams lack of playoff success -- which spans a decade. I still think he will find work as a head coach in the NHL again. Just don't expect him to be the front runner to be head coach for the next stacked team that comes along.

That narrative kinda ignores the fact though that Washington had an EXTREMELY good lineup that had one piss-poor showing in the playoffs, and subsequently panicked (call it St. Louis Blues Syndrome). They purposely became a much worse team over time because of that age-old adage that has ruined so many other promising hockey teams: We Need to Get Tougher. The only team that did it way worse than the Caps was the Buffalo Sabres.

I won't sit here and say that Boudreau is perfect--even he has admitted he made some terrible mistakes in Washington, but the question needs to be asked whether or not he has been given good enough teams to really win it all, or even win a round. I'd say when it comes to Minny it's an EMPHATIC no. That team is good...but not nearly good enough. I really wish Bruce had held out a little longer and waited for a better deal. I bet he'd have been an awesome coach in St. Louis, though there's another situation there where I think the GM is gonna ruin everything soon.