(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:04 pm 
Big in Japan

VS.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:11 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Sharks eat Penguins in their sleep. Size and skill versus speed and skill.

In all seriousness, both teams are unstoppable at this stage, but I would have to give a slight edge to the Sharks because the West almost always wins....

Sharks in 7.

Last edited by Logical Progression on Thu May 26, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:16 pm 
Big in Japan

Best thing about this Final? By the end either Joe Thornton or Phil Kessel will be a Stanley Cup champion. One of them could be a Conn Smythe winner too.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:20 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Best thing about this Final? By the end either Joe Thornton or Phil Kessel will be a Stanley Cup champion. One of them could be a Conn Smythe winner too.
Lol. They are both deserving....Right?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:43 am 
King of Men

Sharks in 6. Penguins put up a fight but the Sharks roll. I had a feeling it was their year anyway.....wish I'd put money down on them :fffffuck:

Trevor Daley will be sorely missed this round.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:45 am 
OTP Historian

This could be an amazing series. I don't think either team wants to take a penalty in this one.

Go Sharks. A few years ago I wouldn't have though that I would be saying this. And I don't even have a burning hatred of the Pens that a lot of Wings fans do.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:16 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I don't have any idea who should be the favourite in this series. I would like to see Joe Thornton raise his 1st Stanley Cup, but, other than that I just hope it is a really great, 6 or 7 game, series.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:19 pm 

Bosc wrote:
I don't even have a burning hatred of the Pens that a lot of Wings fans do.

Neither do I. The hatred for the Pen's, Sydney Crosby, is one of those things I really don't get about my fellow Red Wing fans.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:05 pm 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Neither do I. The hatred for the Pen's, Sydney Crosby, is one of those things I really don't get about my fellow Red Wing fans.

Losing the '09 Cup, didn't like the handshake line snub and probably some issues with how he acted earlier in his career, plus the constant push of him by the league.

Skip, you've been through the darkest years of being a Wings fan. Even I was a fan during the tough 93-96 period of playoff losses. I would be willing to bet that the hatred is a more recent generation thing for the fans who came along after those times.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:14 pm 

Bosc wrote:
RW wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Losing the '09 Cup, didn't like the handshake line snub and probably some issues with how he acted earlier in his career, plus the constant push of him by the league.

Skip, you've been through the darkest years of being a Wings fan. Even I was a fan during the tough 93-96 period of playoff losses. I would be willing to bet that the hatred is a more recent generation thing for the fans who came along after those times.

You are correct about the hatred for Crosby really being prevalent with younger Red Wings fans. Older fans like myself just can't get that worked up about him. He's a great player and I'd have him on my team in a heartbeat if I could. The same Detroiit fans who hate him now would love Crosby forever if the Red Wings were to acquire him and then win a Stanley Cup, much like Chris Chelios.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:51 am 

Interesting stat: the SCF will pit the two teams with the best records in the NHL over the last 10 seasons.
Quote:
It will also put to the test an interesting and perhaps odd trend that has carried through the last 15 seasons.

This will be the seventh time in the past 15 seasons that the Stanley Cup finals features one team that went seven games it its conference finals series and one team that did not.

The team coming off the Game 7 victory went on to win the Stanley Cup each of the previous six times -- so, advantage Pittsburgh Penguins over the San Jose Sharks.
Could be the one edge the Penquins have heading into this series - the stat could be an freak anomaly -- but I doubt it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/ ... nals-quest

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:52 pm 
OTP Historian

Piece by Matt Cullen about his kids. Fun piece.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/2016-5 ... ockey-dad/

Quote:
When I get to the rink, Phil Kessel is always asking me, “What are the boys saying? What’s the analysis?”

I’ll tell him all about their scouting report and he’ll just be dying laughing. He gets such a kick out of it.

What a terrible teammate, that Phil Kessel is, laughing at Cullen's kids.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:44 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Good game, liked how the Sharks came back from down 2-0. Some serious defensive breakdowns by SJ on all the Pittsburgh goals, damn that last goal sucked I expect Martin is cringing watching that video.

I expect/hope that SJ will bounce back like they have after all their previous playoff losses!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:53 am 
Big in Japan

Crosby pass on the first goal: Buttah
Letang pass on the winner: Buttah

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:53 am 

The Penguins speed was very noticeable in comparison to the Sharks vs Blues series. The Penguins carried the balance of play (except when they stopped skating in the second period) and probably deserved the win. Jones was unreal and so was Crosby. Great game.

It will be interesting to see the adjustments DeBoer makes for game 2.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:56 pm 

Great game. I hope the rest of the series is just as open and exciting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:01 am 
King of Men

Sid has been amazing so far. He really seems to have adapted and matured in his ability to create space for himself. The old rough Sid up approach hasn't worked this year.

Even my son who says hockey is generally boring sat down and commented on how entertaining it was in the first.

The Sharks are going to have to adapt. They are too slow to the puck and unable to get the low high cycle going. Their forwards are going to have to work harder and someone is going to have to cover for Brett Burns.

Martin Jones was the only reason they were even in last night's game.

I had anticipated the Sharks heavy & complete game would be too much for the Penguins so being down 2-0 is a bit surprising. Game 3 is obviously a must win for the Sharks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:20 am 
OTP Historian

I didn't watch the 2nd game but watched parts of the first.

Brent Burns does not play around with the puck in the offensive zone at the line when it comes to him. As soon as it touches his stick it's headed to the net. Great way to generate chaos and get teams out of position, especially with teams that don't play the Sharks often.

Thornton had the dominant possession numbers for much of the game but Crosby had one massive shift where they had like 5-6 attempts in one zone possession. He created a few glorious chances. So fucking strong on the puck.

One thing I noticed in the first game was that the Sharks got the puck in their zone, they almost always got it out. Even if they needed to throw it up the boards, they were still getting it out. Maybe I'm just not used to the Wings doing that so it stands out :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:41 am 

Bosc wrote:
One thing I noticed in the first game was that the Sharks got the puck in their zone, they almost always got it out. Even if they needed to throw it up the boards, they were still getting it out. Maybe I'm just not used to the Wings doing that so it stands out :?
Really? I noticed the opposite - the Penguins forecheck and speed in the o-zone has been the difference in the series.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:36 pm 
OTP Historian

Logical Progression wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Really? I noticed the opposite - the Penguins forecheck and speed in the o-zone has been the difference in the series.

Well, when they had the puck :lol: I did miss the first period, which is where Pitts absolutely dominated so maybe it was just in the later parts I saw, I thought they did get the puck out when they did have it on their stick.