OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Semis: Sharks vs. Blues
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:35 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Well I for one did not know Brian Elliot is such a badass. Wow he played well.

Should continue to be an exciting series. Sharks should be veteran enough to not let a frustrating game 1 rattle them and rather build off what was a solid game for them. They dominated the 2nd period and the end of the 3rd. Burns and Jones had some costly mistakes.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:49 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I thought the Sharks carried the balance of play in game one and while the Blues were strong, they were also lucky. Jones let in a softy and that was the difference in game 1.

That being said, the Blues know they need to be better.

Should be a good one tonight. We'll see if the Blues have an answer for Burns and Pavelski and if the Sharts have an answer to the constant pressure and pounding.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:31 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Nice game from the Sharks. Burns bouncing back and dominating and a shutout for Jones = nice bounce back performances. Hopefully making the Blues pay on the PP takes them off their physical game.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:43 pm 

Great game for the Sharks. Jones was insane, Burns dominated and Jumbo with great puck support all night. Pav with 2 assists is having breakout playoff as their new leader.

Bit of a dud for the Blues who seemed out of sorts and didn't play well. They were falling all over each other and looked terrible on the PP, which went 0-6. They need to get back to a simple road game.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I always feel like the Blues can get knocked off their game rather easily at times. Play an aggressive, physical game that disrupts theirs and they tend to unravel a bit.

Haven't seen any of the games yet, please tell me Hitchcock isn't limiting Tarasenko's minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:08 pm 

Not really maybe a bit in certain spots. Tarasenko is averaging between 17-20 mins per game but hasn't really heated up.

The difference between these two teams is very slight. But the Sharks have more impact players (Pav, Jumbo, Burns, Couture, Marleau, Jones etc). If the studs of the team keep playing to their true potential, the Blues won't be able to match.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:30 pm 

Weird game of momentum shifts. Hitch hits the video and devises a new game plan that revives the hard charging Blues resulting in a big Game 4 win over Sharks to even the series 2-2.

Changing goaltenders seemed to give the St. Louis Blues a spark. Hitchcock also put the struggling Robby Fabbri and Vladimir Tarasenko on the same line with Lehtera and put defenseman Joel Edmundson back in the lineup after benching him in Game 3.Troy Brouwer and Kyle Brodziak each score twice.

Jones was pulled midway through the second period after allowing four goals on 19 shots. Reimer allowed one goal on seven shots in his first action of the playoffs.

The Sharks power play that looked so lethal for most of the playoffs was not clicking this game. The Sharks struggled to set up in the offensive zone and gave up a pair of two-on-one chances the other way.

David Backes did not play in the final two periods and Fabbri also left with an injury in the third. Hitchcock said he expects both players to play in Game 5.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:12 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Av-merican wrote:
please tell me Hitchcock isn't limiting Tarasenko's minutes.

Vlasic is shutting him down, with Braun. Toffoli, Forsberg and Tarasenko have a combined 1G and 1A in 17 games vs. the Sharks during this playoffs. :wth: Meanwhile Vlasic has 10 points and a +12 over the same span while playing against top competition. Dude is taking his game to another level.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:59 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

The Sharks are going to the Stanley Cup Finals. It's nice to see, Soo Greyhound, Joe Thornton finally get to his first Stanley Cup Finals, I met him, and Bobby Luongo 19 years ago at Game 4 of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals. Super nice kid and I got an autograph from him and had a nice chat with Joe and his brothers. I'm happy for him and, you too, Hammer. Enjoy it. It doesn't come around very often.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:32 am 

Congrats Sharks and Hammer. Well deserving - you have a great team there with all the elements required to win it all.

Enjoy the SCF - it's a whole new beast.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 am 
OTP Historian

Awesome, enjoy the Finals Hammer!!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:03 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Yes!!! :beer: :cheers: :cheers: :dance:

Sharks are rolling, I really like their chances heading into the final. But Sid/Malkin/Kessel or Kucherov /Drouin/Johnson/Hedman will probably be bigger challenges than they have faced so far. GO SHARKS!

https://fat.gfycat.com/HatefulNauticalHarpyeagle.webm

was unable to embed but funny video of Sharks team picture post-win. watch Burns. was laughing at this on tv last night then found a gif online today.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:39 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Congrats Hammer! Enjoy the Finals!!! Hope they win it all. And, I would love to see Thornton have a 4 goal game in the Finals. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:41 pm 
Big in Japan

Four PPG players for the Sharks heading into the Finals: Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Jumbo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:27 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Another year of frustration for Blues fans. I still think Armstrong is run the St. Loo Ship aground, but time will tell.