OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:59 am 
Big in Japan

saskhab wrote:
E.L. wrote:
More importantly, the classless Bolts org treated an Army captain like shit before backtracking http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/06/0 ... anley-cup/

Would this have been publicly reported if the guy was a car salesman?

You know how people are with regards to men and women in uniform.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:39 am 
OTP Historian

Love those two setups by Hedman, especially the slap pass. Also love Callahan's goal. The slap shot on the rush is a lost art.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:22 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

saskhab wrote:
Why? As long as the rink is sold out, why should the NHL care how the teams determine who gets in provided they're not excluding by race, gender or sexuality?

Ottawa did this, too. It's a strategy to build up local fanbases. Long term goals in mind.

Personally, I think teams should have visitor's sections and then be done with it.

How long does it take to build up a fan base. Really? If they don't have a fan base capable of supporting their team, even during the playoffs, after 15 to 20 years of existence maybe they should not exist in their present location. How long term do they get in a location. Give it up. It's not going to work where they are. Forcing it is a sign of stubbornness and stupidity. They made a mistake, but they're not going to admit it, Ever. Fingers in their ears la, la, la, la, la.

They have visitors sections in futbol to control hooligan violence. That is not a problem here in North America by and large, with exceptions taken for Mexican League Futbol. Some of my most pleasant hockey experiences have been by being seated next to our nightly opponents fans.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:43 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

RW wrote:
saskhab wrote:
Why? As long as the rink is sold out, why should the NHL care how the teams determine who gets in provided they're not excluding by race, gender or sexuality?

Ottawa did this, too. It's a strategy to build up local fanbases. Long term goals in mind.

Personally, I think teams should have visitor's sections and then be done with it.

How long does it take to build up a fan base. Really? If they don't have a fan base capable of supporting their team, even during the playoffs, after 15 to 20 years of existence maybe they should not exist in their present location. How long term do they get in a location. Give it up. It's not going to work where they are. Forcing it is a sign of stubbornness and stupidity. They made a mistake, but they're not going to admit it, Ever. Fingers in their ears la, la, la, la, la.

They have visitors sections in futbol to control hooligan violence. That is not a problem here in North America by and large, with exceptions taken for Mexican League Futbol. Some of my most pleasant hockey experiences have been by being seated next to our nightly opponents fans.

Well, no. They still sell out when they block out of state purchases. There might be 25,000 Hawks fans trying to buy tickets online in Tampa, but there are still more than enough of those fans in the Tampa region. This is about hardcore fans wanting to watch the team on the road. NHL rinks aren't massive like MLB or NFL ones. This serves the locals over the outsiders while still selling the place out.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:44 pm 

http://www.msg.com/shows/hockey-night-l ... award.html

Hedman should win the Conn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:51 pm 

saskhab wrote:
RW wrote:
saskhab wrote:

Well, no. They still sell out when they block out of state purchases. There might be 25,000 Hawks fans trying to buy tickets online in Tampa, but there are still more than enough of those fans in the Tampa region. This is about hardcore fans wanting to watch the team on the road. NHL rinks aren't massive like MLB or NFL ones. This serves the locals over the outsiders while still selling the place out.

OK, If said team has been in place for 20 + years and they still don't have their own fans grabbing up the available playoff tickets before they are put up for general sale to the public, they have more problems than can be solved by blocking out of state buyers. They have a Stanley Cup champion contending team and they are worried about the fans of the other team turning their building into an out of town home game. You're right, the buildings only seat 15,000 to 20,000 and the Lightning have to resort to subterfuge to fill their own building during the Stanley Cup Finals? Unbelievable. Somebody, quick shoot them and put them out of their misery. Tampa Bay fans should have filled those tickets out in late February / March when they came out. I'm sure they have a variety of ticket plans that include playoff rights. The fact that they don't sell out with the team they have speaks volumes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Speaking as a long-time Avs fan (I can say that now) who was all into the Wings/Avs rivalry when it was still A Thing, I honestly don't give a fuck what jersey you wear or what team you root for if you buy a ticket. Way more depressing for me to see empty seats and/or apathetic fans just sitting there as opposed to people who are wearing the "wrong" jersey. Fill the damned arena up. If you don't want the "wrong" fans there, then buy a damned ticket.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:10 pm 

I don't think Tampa's owners are crying about a low local demand for tickets.

Look, their fanbase is about 1/10th the size of Chicago's at best. Chicago is three times the city and has fans all over the country from diaspora for over 50-60 years. Tampa has fans in Tampa/St. Petersburg. Blocking out fans from out of state is a way to make sure fans in Tampa get tickets ahead of the hoards of Blackhawks fans. Just because Chicago has enough fans for 10 teams doesn't mean we should pull the plug on Tampa, who have enough fans for their team.

Av-merican wrote:
Speaking as a long-time Avs fan (I can say that now) who was all into the Wings/Avs rivalry when it was still A Thing, I honestly don't give a fuck what jersey you wear or what team you root for if you buy a ticket. Way more depressing for me to see empty seats and/or apathetic fans just sitting there as opposed to people who are wearing the "wrong" jersey. Fill the damned arena up. If you don't want the "wrong" fans there, then buy a damned ticket.

They are buying tickets. Is Tampa not selling out?

Chicago's only been selling out their 21,000 seat rink for 7 years. Obviously they had a lot of fans staying away for a while and the team has done a great job marketing them into a massive fanbase. But they had 85 years to make themselves into a 41 night a year, 21,000 capacity club. At 20 years they were at what, 35 nights a year at 12,000? 30 years ago they only had to fill a 17,000 seat stadium (which they only did on weekends and in the playoffs).

Fold Tampa? Why? If anything they're ahead of where Chicago were.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:09 pm 

saskhab wrote:
I don't think Tampa's owners are crying about a low local demand for tickets.

Look, their fanbase is about 1/10th the size of Chicago's at best. Chicago is three times the city and has fans all over the country from diaspora for over 50-60 years. Tampa has fans in Tampa/St. Petersburg. Blocking out fans from out of state is a way to make sure fans in Tampa get tickets ahead of the hoards of Blackhawks fans. Just because Chicago has enough fans for 10 teams doesn't mean we should pull the plug on Tampa, who have enough fans for their team.

Av-merican wrote:

They are buying tickets. Is Tampa not selling out?

Chicago's only been selling out their 21,000 seat rink for 7 years. Obviously they had a lot of fans staying away for a while and the team has done a great job marketing them into a massive fanbase. But they had 85 years to make themselves into a 41 night a year, 21,000 capacity club. At 20 years they were at what, 35 nights a year at 12,000? 30 years ago they only had to fill a 17,000 seat stadium (which they only did on weekends and in the playoffs).

Fold Tampa? Why? If anything they're ahead of where Chicago were.

Don't fold, move.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:54 pm 

Well done Chicago. That was a very enjoyable Stanley Cup Finals. It was really well played by both teams. Chicago is a very deserving winner and also deserves to be considered a Dynasty.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:58 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Congratulations - well deserved Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:17 am 
Big in Japan

The Hawks are basically the San Francisco Giants of hockey.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:31 am 
OTP Historian

Groin tear for Bishop. Sheeit.

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_JSmith/stat ... 9355555840

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:55 am 

Remember when the Hawks were my team of lovable losers?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:29 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Remember when the Hawks were my team of lovable losers?

Kind of like the Kings in the early 00's that were always getting killed by injuries...I liked those teams and became fond of the Kings as a result. Kopitar continued that. I had zero attachment whatsoever to the Gretzky-era Kings, but you had that with the Blackhawks of that era.

Is it now like "Okay that's nice now you can stop winning so the Habs can win one oh fuck off they did it again ok really stop now 3 times is getting fucking ludicrous now I don't even like you anymore."?