OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Eh, he played in Hartford for like five minutes. Doesn't count. :lol:

I feel old looking back on that trade. I was shocked at the time it happened, didn't know just how good a player Hartford was giving up for a Shanahan rental. How in hell did Rutherford keep his job BACK THEN, let alone now?

Anyway, the thing I do notice with the Grabner hit is that you see him standing up to deliver the hit when initially he's coming in low. I may be biased toward little hockey players like myself, but it sure does look like he's targeting the head.

Haven't seen the Visnovsky hit yet, but I'll at least give Shanahan credit for being a little more consistent this year...so far. I thought the bans on Kaleta, Lapierre, and McLeod were fair. Hope this new appeals process doesn't undercut suspensions too much.

Post subject: OFFICIAL SHANABAN THREAD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:21 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Av-merican wrote:
I feel old looking back on that trade. I was shocked at the time it happened, didn't know just how good a player Hartford was giving up for a Shanahan rental. How in hell did Rutherford keep his job BACK THEN, let alone now?

Shanahan wasn't a rental -- it was an off-season move. He just didn't stay very long because he pouted from the moment he got to Hartford (like all players traded to the Whalers, who had it really rough getting paid millions to play a game in an insurance city that apparently isn't high profile enough for farm boys) and basically forced his way out to Detroit. They got a pretty nice return for him, but then Coffey immediately did the same too-good-for-Hartford pout. Not sure if Primeau did too, or he was just traded for other reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:23 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:

Um, 74 games in 95-96, and then just 2 in 96-97. So 5 minutes, and 1 season.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... p?pid=4888

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:25 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Jyrki21 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Shanahan wasn't a rental -- it was an off-season move. He just didn't stay very long because he pouted from the moment he got to Hartford (like all players traded to the Whalers, who had it really rough getting paid millions to play a game in an insurance city that apparently isn't high profile enough for farm boys) and basically forced his way out to Detroit. They got a pretty nice return for him, but then Coffey immediately did the same too-good-for-Hartford pout. Not sure if Primeau did too, or he was just traded for other reasons.

Wasn't Primeau traded after they moved to Carolina?

I think the 'playing in a mall' thing did Hartford in more than the 'low profile city' thing. Most hockey players want to stay away from Canadian cities because of the attention and would rather play in, like, Anaheim or even New Jersey (Carolina even has a good rep). Detroit is a top destination even though it's freaking Detroit. Meanwhile, baseball and basketball players all want to play in high profile markets.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:35 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

I think the 'playing in a mall' thing did Hartford in more than the 'low profile city' thing. Most hockey players want to stay away from Canadian cities because of the attention and would rather play in, like, Anaheim or even New Jersey (Carolina even has a good rep). Detroit is a top destination even though it's freaking Detroit. Meanwhile, baseball and basketball players all want to play in high profile markets.

Yep, traded to Philly for Brind'Amour.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:56 pm 

Not going to miss a chance to split this thread and feed the Whalers' forum...

saskhab wrote:

Yes, but if I recall, it was in response to a request. So yeah, not Hartford-related as such, I was just trying to think if the trend continued with another moaning player.

saskhab wrote:
I think the 'playing in a mall' thing did Hartford in more than the 'low profile city' thing.

Honestly, though, why would it matter in the slightest? Particularly in the era before the cookie cutter new buildings. Once you're on the ice, I can't see what impact the architecture could have on you. The Rangers play in a train station. The Oilers play on an exhibition ground. And anyway, the idea that arenas could matter never even really entered the NHLPA's vocabulary until the very recent past... everything used to suck by today's standards. I'll bet the dressing rooms at the Montreal Forum or Boston Garden were awful. Hell, we had the Cow Palace in the NHL at one point, albeit temporarily.

saskhab wrote:
Most hockey players want to stay away from Canadian cities because of the attention and would rather play in, like, Anaheim or even New Jersey (Carolina even has a good rep). Detroit is a top destination even though it's freaking Detroit. Meanwhile, baseball and basketball players all want to play in high profile markets.

Despite their drawbacks as urban centers, places like Detroit and Philadelphia are high-profile in the NHL, though, just because they're large and relatively historic/successful in the league. And in any event, no NHLer ever has much trouble suiting up for typical NBA destinations like the Rangers or Kings, either. Although Florida kind of gets the shaft, but that has more to do with team management than anything, you'd expect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:52 pm 

Jyrki21 wrote:

But you missed where I pointed out that Shanny played for the Whalers for 74 games one year and then 2 the next year, not just the proverbial 5 minutes. If I'm going to bother looking up stats, I want credit, dammit! :doom:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:29 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:

But you missed where I pointed out that Shanny played for the Whalers for 74 games one year and then 2 the next year, not just the proverbial 5 minutes. If I'm going to bother looking up stats, I want credit, dammit! :doom:

I have corrected this grievous oversight.

Welcome to the thread, post of Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:23 pm!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:19 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Pfffft...whatever. No one remembers anything about Hartford except Ronnie Franchise and his green Cooperalls.

There. I said it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:00 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Pfffft...whatever. No one remembers anything about Hartford except Ronnie Franchise and his green Cooperalls.

There. I said it.

Anybody old enough could never forget the sight of white-haired Gordie Howe playing for them during their inaugural season!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:10 pm 
OTP Historian

hammer wrote:
Anybody old enough could never forget the sight of white-haired Gordie Howe playing for them during their inaugural season!

It was 2 years before I was born. Gordie was 51 freakin years old. 15 goals and 41 points and only one of 4 guys on the team to play in all 80 games. Also played with both of his sons that year. Dude played in the NHL on the same team with 2 of his sons. 7 years of pro hockey with his sons. That is way too cool.

Bobby Hull and Dave Keon played for them as well. Gordie was 10 years older than Hull and 12 years older than Keon, the next youngest guys on the team.

1950-51 NHL 86 (1)
1951-52 NHL 86 (1)
1952-53 NHL 95 (1)
1953-54 NHL 81 (1)
1954-55 NHL 62 (5)
1955-56 NHL 79 (2)
1956-57 NHL 89 (1)
1957-58 NHL 77 (4)
1958-59 NHL 78 (4)
1959-60 NHL 73 (5)
1960-61 NHL 72 (5)
1961-62 NHL 77 (3)
1962-63 NHL 86 (1)
1963-64 NHL 73 (5)
1964-65 NHL 76 (3)
1965-66 NHL 75 (5)
1966-67 NHL 65 (4)
1967-68 NHL 82 (3)
1968-69 NHL 103 (3)
1969-70 NHL 71 (9)
1973-74 WHA 100 (3)
1974-75 WHA 99 (7)
1975-76 WHA 102 (9)
1977-78 WHA 96 (9)
Career NHL 1850 (3)
Career WHA 508 (7)

For those not counting at home, that's 20 straight top-5 finishes in points, rounding out year 21 with a 9th place.

Mr. Fucking Hockey.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:22 pm 

Jyrki21 wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:

I have corrected this grievous oversight.

Welcome to the thread, post of Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:23 pm!

Why thank you! :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:23 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

There. I said it.

You just don't remember because the NHL didn't exist back then.