(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Expansion?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Again, may as well have it here.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/4 ... ayers.html

Personally, I don't think the league should consider expansion until it relocates some of their failing franchises. Once that happens, and the league is finally back on solid financial footing, sure, expand.

Post subject: Re: Expansion?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:15 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:

Personally, I don't think the league should consider expansion until it relocates some of their failing franchises. Once that happens, and the league is finally back on solid financial footing, sure, expand.

Back in 1967, there weren't six healthy franchises. In 1979, there weren't 17 healthy franchises (they had recently folded one). In 1991, there weren't 21 healthy franchises. In 1996, there weren't 26 healthy franchises.

There will never be this perfect scenario where everyone is healthy. Personally I believe every market that wants a team should get one. I don't care who loses money or who makes it. More teams makes the league more accesible to the fan. And as a league, you increase your visibility and your market share.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:51 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Meh, don't care. It's probably not going to happen until the NHL sorts out the problem franchises like Phoenix. If it does happen just make a balanced schedule for everybody along with a seeded playoffs with a 1 to 16 format, maybe even add some extra teams, with no geographic format involved. That way everybody gets to see everbody at least once a year and the travel issue is the same for everybody.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:54 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Back in 1967, there weren't six healthy franchises. In 1979, there weren't 17 healthy franchises (they had recently folded one). In 1991, there weren't 21 healthy franchises. In 1996, there weren't 26 healthy franchises.

There will never be this perfect scenario where everyone is healthy. Personally I believe every market that wants a team should get one. I don't care who loses money or who makes it. More teams makes the league more accesible to the fan. And as a league, you increase your visibility and your market share.

True, I'm not naive enough to think all 30 franchises can be thriving (by default, no franchise that's currently at the bottom of the standings is going to be raking in ticket sales, unless they're Toronto), but there are at least a couple organizations that are severely hurting. Hell, they can't even get anyone to buy the shitshow in Glendale. I fear things are worse than they're letting on in Florida as well, though I don't think that situation is untenable. No idea what to make of Nashville. Nevertheless, my point is that the NHL should look at relocation first, expansion second. The Phoenix situation needs to be resolved before they make any talk of expanding the league.

One definite plus for expansion is that I believe it would make realignment much easier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:14 am 

Florida has a very profitable arena. The team itself is a money pit but the arena and how the team fits into that plan makes a ton of money and is owned by the same group as the team is.

The problem with Phoenix is the arena provides no real benefit to the club. It's in a far-flung suburb and there's a big basketball arena in downtown Phoenix that probably does a ton better than the one in Glendale does. It's such a profoundly stupid plan that the NHL tricked the locals into doing and then it all blew up in both their faces with the collapse of the housing market killing the entire Phoenix metropolis' wealth base.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:36 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

If they put a team back in shartford I may jump on their bandwagon. Hating the isles right now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:26 pm 

Though this pretty much plays into the "Avs fans didn't know the NHL existed before 1995" belief, I really don't remember the Maple Leafs being in the Western Conference. :oops:

Kinda makes me think though--assuming the East will get one more team (Quebec City since it looks like the whole Markham thing is a farce, and Hartford, well, it ain't happening) if and when the NHL expands, who gets dragged kicking and screaming back into the west? Odds are it's the Blue Jackets since they're sucking just as badly in the East as they did in the West, but then that means the Central and Pacific Divisions, which IMO are pretty much perfect right now, will have to be re-jiggered.

Probably for the best that the NHL consider relocation before they expand. I've no wish to see the return of the Dead Puck Era, even though I think there's more of a surplus of talent now than there was the last time the NHL expanded. Besides, still too many teams in cash-poor markets.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:41 pm 

The Red Wings are the most westerly franchise in the Eastern Conference. The Maple Leafs are the team that will be impacted the least financially from such a move.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:39 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Av-merican wrote:
Though this pretty much plays into the "Avs fans didn't know the NHL existed before 1995" belief, I really don't remember the Maple Leafs being in the Western Conference. :oops:

It was most of the '80s and '90s -- certainly for the youths of most of the people here, the Leafs were a Norris Division team (which in spite of what anyone in Toronto says, actually makes perfect sense given the abundance of Eastern Seaboard teams in the NHL). You don't remember the 1993 or 1994 Campbell/Western Conference Finals? Storyline for 1993 was "Fraser doesn't call Gretzky's high-stick". For 1994 it was "Haha suck it CBC, the Canucks are moving on."