OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VOLLEYBALL Thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:33 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

This'll likely be an echo chamber where I just talk to myself (like the Avs forum and a few others) but I'm starting it nonetheless as the sport appears to be taking hold in mainstream media.

Unfortunately, the National Championship match that was televised for (I think) the first time ever on a major network ended on a sour note for my Nebraska Cornhuskers. The ladies who only lost one match the entire regular season and postseason got CURBSTOMPED by the Texas Longhorns in straight sets. Absolute domination by UT, led by Asjia (pronounced "Asia") O'Neal--daughter of former NBA star Jermaine--with 5 aces in a row in the second set, a grand total of 12 for the match, which is an NCAA record.

They're busy getting ready to launch the Pro Volleyball Federation, and Nebraska has a team, the Omaha Supernovas. We'll see how it does, it's clear there's a following for this sport (you can't even begin to get a ticket for NCAA matches here in Lincoln), but it's going to take a massive investment and a lot of patience for it to pan out.

Post subject: Re: VOLLEYBALL Thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:23 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I think most people don't talk about volleyball because guys sound like creepers for watching women's volleyball. :mrgreen:

Unless you know a TON about the game, everyone just assumes you're looking at booty shorts... That was told to me by a friend who plays volleyball anyway. He's a player and coach, and even he said he always changes the channel away from women's volleyball when his wife walks in the room. :laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:31 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well...not gonna lie, you put a bunch of tall, athletic women on the court in ridiculously short shorts, it's not exactly a terrible viewing experience, much as it sometimes makes me feel like a dirty old man.

That said, I'm trying my best to actually get to know this sport, understand the terms (joust, rally, tool, dig, kill, etc.) and the players, the strategies involved, etc. Also, this is quite possibly the ONLY sport where I believe video review is not only helpful, but necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:05 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I've always thought it would be fun to give a guys' volleyball team the little spandex short-shorts and see if ratings go up or down. Probably farther down, because they'd refuse to play. :lol: