OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:12 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

It's here Gents. In all, it's corruption-laden glory. The Fall / Winter FIFA World Cup in Qatar. I'm not sure who to favour this go-round. The usual suspects are all here and the consensus favourites are Brazil, France, England and Argentina. Second-tier teams include the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Portugal, Denmark Spain, and Uruguay. Other dark horse teams include Senegal and maybe Canada. My African team is Senegal although they received an injury blow to forward Sadio Mane. They have a strong squad and won the most recent Africa Cup of Nations. I will be cheering for Senegal and Canada until they win or get knocked out. Then, I'll play it by ear.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:54 am 

RW wrote:
I will be cheering for Senegal and Canada until they win or get knocked out. Then, I'll play it by ear.

I'm assuming you're cheering for USA as well?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:43 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
RW wrote:
I will be cheering for Senegal and Canada until they win or get knocked out. Then, I'll play it by ear.

I'm assuming you're cheering for USA as well?

Not really. They are awfully young. I doubt they'll get out of their group. I might get more wound up if they make a strong showing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:04 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

FIFA banning any Pride regalia by fans and players in a country where it's illegal to be gay, and in the wake of yet another massacre of the LGBTQ+ community in Colorado Springs, it's disgusting beyond belief.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:10 pm 

Damn, that's a game Canada really deserved. Didn't see the whole game but from what I saw they dominated the Belgians. The Red Devils had a heck of a time getting it out of their own end, Canada really dominated the mid-field but the Red Devils were really effective in their defence around the goal and Canada probably lacks that surgical mid fielder to dissect that defence.

Quote:
They had 14 shots in the first half alone, the most by a team at the World Cup without scoring in 16 years.

If they can play just as well in their next two games, I'm confident they can go through.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:20 pm 

It takes Brazil an hour to get going against a huge Serbian side but in the end, Richarlison scores a brace and Brazil beats Serbia 2 - 0.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63657471

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:12 pm 

The U.S. has a decent match and draws England 0 - 0. Wales loses to Iran, 2 - 0 and Senegal beats Qatar, 3 - 1.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63603425

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:36 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Damn, that's a game Canada really deserved. Didn't see the whole game but from what I saw they dominated the Belgians. The Red Devils had a heck of a time getting it out of their own end, Canada really dominated the mid-field but the Red Devils were really effective in their defence around the goal and Canada probably lacks that surgical mid fielder to dissect that defence.

Quote:
They had 14 shots in the first half alone, the most by a team at the World Cup without scoring in 16 years.

If they can play just as well in their next two games, I'm confident they can go through.

From a soccer fan novice, that looked like a very impressive display. Croatia is a tough team, though not as fast, but I think if they play like that, it'll be 3pts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:50 am 

Japan beats Germany then loses to Costa Rica? wow.

And Morocco beats Belgium. I think that means the group could end up really, really close. Canada needs, goals, goals, goals. I'm really excited waiting for the start, and a wee bit nervous, can't recall the last time I was feeling nervous about a sports game but its been awhile. A good feeling to care that much.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:06 pm 

well that was a great first two minutes. However by the 15 to 20 minute mark, even to my novice eyes it was apparent that Croatia was going to win this. They just had the edge all the time. Still hoping for a good show vs Morocco but considering that team tied Croatia and beat Belgium it seems doubtful they get a point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:13 am 

I'm sorry my Canadian friends. I was so excited when Canada took the lead after 2 minutes. Alas, it was not meant to be. Croatia was in the Finals in the last World Cup and they look to be a strong candidate to be there again this year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:32 pm 
King of Men

You know I don't like soccer at all but occasionally this has been on in the background. This Croatia/Brazil game has been pretty lit. BOING! I was entertained.

Its hard to tell when somebody is hurt because these guys flop on a gust of wind or a passing breeze.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:06 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
You know I don't like soccer at all but occasionally this has been on in the background. This Croatia/Brazil game has been pretty lit. BOING! I was entertained.

Its hard to tell when somebody is hurt because these guys flop on a gust of wind or a passing breeze.

Did you just say "pretty lit"............... :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:08 pm 

American journalist Grant Wahl collapsed and died while covering the event. He had written pieces very critical of Qatar’s government and was denied entry to one game due to wearing a Pride shirt. His brother, a gay man for whom Wahl became a staunch LGBTQ ally, said in an interview that he suspects murder.

Wahl had been seeking treatment for bronchitis and had been ill for a while but it’s hard not to wonder if something is afoul here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:55 pm 

I so often find myself rooting for the underdog. This years world cup is giving me plenty of joy. Croatia (4 million people) comes back for the tie with Brazil with 3 minutes left, then wins the shootout.

Morocco becomes the first African nation to reach the semi-finals. Its a real good story for Morocco, over a decade ago they established a national training program and really invested in soccer for both boys and girls. Its great to see it pay off.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:17 pm 

Half the tweets in my feed talking about the Portugal and England losses were dunking on Ronaldo and Harry Kane. I have a basic understanding as to why some people don't like Ronaldo, I've literally never heard of Kane until today though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:53 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Half the tweets in my feed talking about the Portugal and England losses were dunking on Ronaldo and Harry Kane. I have a basic understanding as to why some people don't like Ronaldo, I've literally never heard of Kane until today though.

Harry Kane is one of the best forwards in the world. I was dead shocked when he muffed the late penalty kick. It will be interesting to see how he handles this going forward. The British press can be beastly, especially if they smell blood in the water.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-world-cup-shearer-kane-28706968

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:31 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
American journalist Grant Wahl collapsed and died while covering the event. He had written pieces very critical of Qatar’s government and was denied entry to one game due to wearing a Pride shirt. His brother, a gay man for whom Wahl became a staunch LGBTQ ally, said in an interview that he suspects murder.

Wahl had been seeking treatment for bronchitis and had been ill for a while but it’s hard not to wonder if something is afoul here.

This is the only story I care about in the WC. Sounds too fishy for there to not be something going on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:59 pm 

Wahl's wife released a statement saying the autopsy on her husband was concluded and he died of a ruptured aortic aneurysm. So, no foul play.

In somewhat related news, one of the guitarists for Judas Priest suffered an aortic dissection (very similar to an aortic aneurysm) right in the middle of one of his solos in a show last year, and somehow he survived. Usually when your aorta shreds like that, it's game over.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/richie ... m-recovery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:08 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Wahl's wife released a statement saying the autopsy on her husband was concluded and he died of a ruptured aortic aneurysm. So, no foul play.

In somewhat related news, one of the guitarists for Judas Priest suffered an aortic dissection (very similar to an aortic aneurysm) right in the middle of one of his solos in a show last year, and somehow he survived. Usually when your aorta shreds like that, it's game over.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/richie ... m-recovery

My father-in-law had similar. His aorta had ballooned to 10cm diameter due to a clog when it tore. Silly git biked over to his Dr. who immediately sent him to the hospital. They managed to get him straight into surgery and he lived for another 8 years.