OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL/NCAA FB 2022
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm pretty close to closing the book on the Broncos already. Unreal how they just keep getting some of the worst coaches through the door year after year after...

Huskers are also an abject disaster, CU just fired quite possibly the worst head coach in their history (yep, possibly worse than the infamous Chuck Fairbanks), CSU is near-irrelevant, just no bueno for a lot of the regional programs I usually pay attention to.

At least Mines is doing okay.

Anyway, American football. Discuss.

Post subject: Re: NFL/NCAA FB 2022
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:36 am 

Jesus, Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin collapsed after taking a hard hit and went into cardiac arrest. They had to administer CPR for EIGHT MINUTES to restart his heart and rushed him to a local hospital where he’s still sedated and in critical condition.

I’ve never seen anything like that. The only thing that comes even close was Hank Gathers back in the day, and that ended in tragedy. For obvious reasons it’s the only thing any sports network is talking about right now.

The one silver lining in all this, Hamlin runs an annual toy drive for underprivileged children, the fund only had a couple thousand, it ballooned to over a million not long after the news broke.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:39 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Jesus, Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin collapsed after taking a hard hit and went into cardiac arrest. They had to administer CPR for EIGHT MINUTES to restart his heart and rushed him to a local hospital where he’s still sedated and in critical condition.

I’ve never seen anything like that. The only thing that comes even close was Hank Gathers back in the day, and that ended in tragedy. For obvious reasons it’s the only thing any sports network is talking about right now.

The one silver lining in all this, Hamlin runs an annual toy drive for underprivileged children, the fund only had a couple thousand, it ballooned to over a million not long after the news broke.

Jiri Fischer and Rich Peverley come to mind :x :( Hopefully he can make a recovery. So young and scary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:26 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Pokecheque wrote:

Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions in 1971. Hughes collapsed on the field at the old Tiger Stadium in Detroit. He died on the field. The only NFL player to do so. On a side note, I was in attendance at the Pontiac Silverdome when Mike Utley and Reggie Brown were injured. The article is written by Jerry Green, the last sports writer to attend all 56 Super Bowls. I'm posting the article in it's entirety as it is behind a paywall. I'll take it down if it gets us in trouble.

Green: Damar Hamlin's collapse brings back memories of Lions' on-field tragedy

Jerry Green | Special to The Detroit News

The life and death of Chuck Hughes

Chuck Hughes suffered a fatal heart attack in a game against the Beans on Sunday, Oct. 24, 1971. The afternoon Chuck Hughes joined the Lions in a trade with the Eagles, he requested superstition-defying uniform No. 13. “No, you can’t wear that number here,” said Roy “Friday” Macklem, who controlled the Lions’ locker room with an iron fist.

A placid man, Hughes accepted the uniform number he was issued rather than the 13 he had worn at Texas Western and with the Eagles in the NFL. Rather, Macklem, the Lions’ late equipment manager, handed Hughes No. 85 in the locker room the club used during training camp at Cranbrook in the old days. So, it was No. 85 in Honolulu blue that Hughes was wearing when he played backup wide receiver for the Lions in 1970 and 1971. It was in October ’71 that Hughes went out on a pass route in a Lions’ game vs. the Bears at Tiger Stadium.

Hughes was a decoy on that play, in for the injured Larry Walton. Hughes had previously caught a 32-yard pass from Greg Landry.

Hughes never made it back to the huddle.

The scene was my first thought when I saw Damar Hamlin go down on the field in the Bills’ Monday Night Football game against the Bengals in Cincinnati.

“Unprecedented,” the ESPN crew kept informing America on the telecast during the dramatic stoppage as players gathered around, tearing up and mumbling prayers.

My mental images flashed back — clearly — to Chuck going down about the 30-yard line in left field and Dick Butkus above him. Butkus, a vicious Hall of Fame linebacker, was the humanitarian. He was waving frantically to the Lions’ bench.

Detroit Lions wide receiver Chuck Hughes lies on the field at Tiger Stadium, October 24, 1971, as Chicago Bears' Dick Butkus and two officials await assistance in the closing minutes of an NFL game. Hughes died within the hour at Ford Hospital of an apparent heart attack caused by a blood clot. Moments later, Lions’ physician Dr. Richard Thompson was pounding Hughes’ chest in an attempt to restore a heartbeat. Dr. Edwin Guise was blowing into Hughes' mouth.

These movie pictures kept rolling through my head Monday night as doctors performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on Hamlin on the field.

On that dirty gray day at Tiger Stadium, Hughes, at just 28, was lifted via stretcher. He was carted by ambulance to Henry Ford Hospital, about three miles north. Sharon Hughes, Chuck’s wife, was aided into the ambulance.

And for some reason, the game was permitted to finish. Another 62 seconds. In fearful silence. The Lions lost.

My memory keeps going.

The press rode the elevator to the main concourse and rushed to the Lions’ locker room. There, the door was shut.

We waited. When the door opened, coach Joe Schmidt told us that Chuck had died of a heart attack. He had died on the field, face down, on the mud-ridden gray grass.

Chuck Hughes is seen wearing a suit before reporing to Detroit Lions training camp in the summer of 1971, a few months before his death.
Chuck Hughes played for the Lions in 1970 and 1971 following a trade from the Philadelphia Eagles.

COURTESY OF SHARON HUGHES

The Lions’ players cancelled their postgame party for that Sunday night.

“Chuck was looking forward to the party,” the late Mike Lucci told me.

“The players felt it would be a fine night for the 40 of them to get together for an evening of camaraderie and fun,” I wrote.

“Instead, the Lions attended a private rosary.”

Three days later, the Lions flew on a team charter to San Antonio for Hughes’ funeral.

The NFL Players Association invited Sharon Hughes to New Orleans during the prelude to Super Bowl VI in New Orleans in January 1972. Landry introduced me to Sharon Hughes. We talked about Chuck. The uniform number. Her grief.

“At night, I wake up and reach out for Chuck’s hand,” she said.

“It’s not there.”

The Lions, so sadly, have been a franchise so connected to tragedy.

The thoughts about Chuck Hughes — his passing — and his personality keep returning.

Reggie Brown, flat on the field at the Silverdome in 1997, unconscious, then surviving with a spinal contusion. Scary moments.

DIG DEEPER

More on Chuck Hughes

50 years ago: Remembering Lions' Chuck Hughes, only man to die in NFL game

Deadly game: A tragic end for Detroit Lions receiver Chuck Hughes
The life and death of Chuck Hughes

Mike Utley, hit during a game in 1991, his spine twisted, paralyzed for life. A thumb’s up as he was rolled to the locker room. Later, always a smile as he worked diligently for his foundation.

Coach Don McCafferty, winner of Super Bowl V with the Baltimore Colts, after one season with the Lions.

Lucien Reeberg, at 21, and Eric Andolsek — during offseasons.

There is one final, flashing, precious image of Hughes, in 1970, the season he was denied his No. 13 jersey.

Another Monday Night Football game, Dec. 14, the Lions defeating the Rams in the Los Angeles Coliseum, 28-23.

This time, the players had a party. The Lions had played themselves in line for the playoffs.

On the ride back to Long Beach and the Lions’ hotel, Lucci stopped the auto he was in, transporting a journalist riding shotgun. Lucci went inside the party store and emerged with a couple of cases of beer for his team.

Upstairs at the hotel in the postgame party room, the player behind the bar popping open the cans of beer was Chuck Hughes. He was grinning and singing along with his teammates.

I remember, he handed me one. Perhaps another.

The joy was unforgettable.

The next Sunday, the Lions beat the Packers and qualified for the playoffs. They lost the infamous 5-0 game in Dallas.

And a year later, iron-willed Friday Macklem retired Chuck Hughes' No. 85 uniform.

Jerry Green is a retired Detroit News sports writer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:27 am 

That was a rough read. I cannot believe they continued that game.

The news on Hamlin is better, thank God. He was transferred to a Buffalo-area hospital and later discharged so he can recover at home. Not sure if he’ll ever play again but he’s alive, that’s the important part.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:36 am 

The Pac-12 Conference officially ceased to exist with tonight’s conference championship game after all but two of the schools bolted for more lucrative affiliations.

The Pac-12 played no small part in their own demise but it’s not a good sign that we’re going to see a “Premier League” in college football that’ll consist of the Big Ten (which bothers the shit outta me since it’s obviously way more than ten teams now) and the SEC.