OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB 2021 Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:36 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Judge with #62. The AL/non-roid home run record. :toot:

Otherwise smart people on my timeline are trying to say the vitriol aimed at McGwire/Bonds/Sosa is misplaced and we don't know if Maris's record is "clean" because he might have been taking amphetamines at the time. Fuck that noise, this is the record, and those other guys can get stuffed.

I understand juicing/doping is likely still going on and is far more prevalent in sports at all levels than we'd like to believe, but that doesn't make me hate the guys who very obviously cheated (and are all assholes to boot) and all but ruined baseball for me.

Of course, the Rockies have played a part in ruining baseball for me as well, but you already all know that.

The homerun record chase was kind of interesting while Sosa, Bonds and McGwire were doing it, but it was so clear they were on roids. I remember Rob Dibble saying on the radio that roids would only help you hit the ball like 50' farther, so it didn't really matter. As if 50' couldn't be the difference between the third out of an inning and a 3 run homer. :lol: That just made me think he had been juicing.

I hope Judge is clean. Nothing would surprise me though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:33 pm 
Big in Japan

I think Judge is just a giant of a man blessed with good hand-eye coordination who finally stayed healthy for a full season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Anyone who says roids can’t help you hit a baseball is full of shit. It most certainly can increase bat speed. It won’t make a schlub like me a home run hitter, but it sure as hell will make a power hitter into an elite slugger.

People always talk about Brady Anderson. Was always a contact hitter, then one year—BOOM, something like 50 homers. I still wonder about Bret Boone too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:02 am 

Does it really matter? It's not like MLB has a stellar record of good sportsmanship and equal playing fields. And the game is so different between eras - comparisons aren't really accurate to a single home run. Maybe not even a dozen?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:58 pm 

Well shit, sorry you had to see that in person, Jeff. :steamingpileofcrap:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:06 am 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... /50824331/

David Robertson is off the Phillies' NLDS roster- because he injured himself celebrating a home run. :doh:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:49 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Well shit, sorry you had to see that in person, Jeff. :steamingpileofcrap:

We had a good time but man...what a clusterfuck. You could play that game again from 8-1 1000 times over and never get that result.

I bought playoff tshirts during the game for the kids when it was 5-1 and when I gave them to them it was over :lol:

I was deciding whether I wanted a Jays jersey or a Seider jersey for my birthday. I ended up getting a Vlad Jr. power blue. I wanted a Manoah royal blue but they weren't available to be customized online. I actually saw a guy on the train platform going to the game wearing a Seider jersey and told him that I was deciding between his and the one that I was wearing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:10 am 

The Yankees see, again, that pitching beats slugging in the post-season. But hey, keep signing guys who strike out 3-4x per game, not guys who strike out opponents 13x/game. That will work. Right? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:27 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:
The Yankees see, again, that pitching beats slugging in the post-season. But hey, keep signing guys who strike out 3-4x per game, not guys who strike out opponents 13x/game. That will work. Right? :roll:

No different than hockey in the post season, a good defense can beat a good offence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:44 pm 

Goddammit the fucking Houston Asterisks again? Fuck baseball. That organization should've been stripped of its title and "death penalty"'d into oblivion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:54 pm 
Big in Japan

I don't hate the Astros. Dusty deserved a ring. Now the Dodgers, those are a bunch of yellow bellied cowards.

Onwards and upwards to the offseason. I think the Giants land one of Judge/Correa, or they just go hog wild on mid-tier guys and get Joc/Kiermaier/Conforto/Jace/Barnhart/Taijuan/deGrom or some crazy shit like that. Can't wait.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:48 am 

Baseball still feels kinda broken to me.

I'm happy for Dusty, though I kinda wish the stupid Astros hadn't been the ones to get him that ring, but...whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:25 am 
Big in Japan

I'm all in on the Japanese class coming over: Orix LF Masataka Yoshida. Walks twice as much as he strikes out, left handed pull power, old school .330 BAs.

Kodai Senga: long time NPB rotation workhorse.

Shintaro Fujinami: rare 6'5 Japanese power pitcher. Can't throw a strike but he's unhittable/fixable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:55 am 
Big in Japan

Giants are meeting with Aaron Judge :zoid: :zoid: :zoid: :zoid: :zoid:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:35 pm 

Judge re-signs with the Yankees. 9 years, $360 million. That's a lot of homeruns staying in the Bronx and probably 3x as many strikeouts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:53 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Judge re-signs with the Yankees. 9 years, $360 million. That's a lot of homeruns staying in the Bronx and probably 3x as many strikeouts.

Boooooooooring :lol: I want chaos!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:07 pm 

In other news, the Rockies took a pitcher in the Rule 5 draft, and promptly flipped him for cash. :roll:

Monfort is pullin' some pawn shop shit now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Absolutely insane gobs of money being thrown around in free agency. The Turner and Bogaerts contracts are mind blowing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:13 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Absolutely insane gobs of money being thrown around in free agency. The Turner and Bogaerts contracts are mind blowing.

MLB has always had the option of signing Duncan Keith-type contracts, right? They just never bothered to do so until now. That's kinda crazy to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:26 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

MLB has always had the option of signing Duncan Keith-type contracts, right? They just never bothered to do so until now. That's kinda crazy to me.

They have a luxury tax (soft cap) instead of salary cap. Last time I paid attention the soft cap was $144 million. Apparently that was a long ass time ago because now it's $230 million! An article about last year's tax: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/09/ ... thereafter)

For the hell of it, I checked the Yankees forecasted 2023 payroll, since Judge's contract is under such scrutiny (around here anyway). If everyone not already signed gets just their expected raises they're in for $243 million. So they'd be taxed 20% of $13 million, $2.6 million. In 2019 (most recent year with published numbers) they made $683 million. So they can handle the tax.

The Mets have the highest payrolls at $335 million (projected)! They're in for $76.2 million in luxury tax according to Google. The Mets profited $152.9 million in 2021.

We're all in the wrong businesses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next