OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB 2020 Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:01 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Scott 679 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Fuck. I hate the DH.

So do I. I guess its what you're used to as I grew up watching the Expos.

But a pitcher is a player and a player should hit for themselves.

Meh, goalies have different rules than the rest of the players. Why not pitchers? It's a totally different skill set. They only play every 5th day or so.
I always think of when Wang blew his ankle up rounding 3rd when he was with the Yankees. Shot their whole year (ready for it?) in the foot. So I like the DH. And yes, I grew up a Yankee fan, so I was always used to the DH. It's nice to see over the hill sluggers get another 2 years out of their career (that part was sarcasm).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:09 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I like the strategy involved when a manager has to decide to keep a pitcher in or put in a pinch hitter. Or when he pulls a double switch. And I LOVE it when a pitcher takes everyone by surprise and gets a big hit. The best experience I ever had at Coors Field was watching the Rox beat the Cards and the SP also got the game-winning triple. It also annoyed me when the Angels got Shohei Ohtani. That guy would've been awesome in the National League, well, injuries aside. Instead he's mostly just another pitcher.

Conversely, I liked the idea of the AL using a DH for guys like Edgar Martinez and David Ortiz who probably had no business being in the field, but had long and successful careers as pure hitters. I liked the notion that one league had it and one didn't. One of those quirky rules that made baseball unique. And really, as comedic as it was to see Jose Canseco try and play in the outfield, there are some ballplayers who should just bat. I get it.

BuT WhAT aBOUT aL LeItErRrRrRRRRR!? Ahhhhh fuck that. He's regularly cited as the very worst pitcher at the plate of all time. Big deal, if he sucked that bad at the plate, he should've stuck around in the American League. That's on the NL teams who kept signing him if he ended up being a liability with a bat in his hand. Frankly

In the end, probably not a big deal, but it just makes an increasingly dull game even duller in my opinion. At this point the fucking Rockies have somehow become a terrible offensive team even though no ballpark in baseball history has been better built for hits and home runs...so I guess they could use all the help they can get.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Baseball is back, baby. This is going to be a shame.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:39 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Baseball is back, baby. This is going to be a shame.
What a shit show. 60 game season. Are they still doing a bubble?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Charlie Blackmon has COVID, so that's the first of many stars to come I'm sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 am 

E.L. wrote:
Charlie Blackmon has COVID, so that's the first of many stars to come I'm sure.

Son of a bitch... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

We don't need sports right now.

Also, Rob Manfred is the Devil.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:27 pm 
Big in Japan

DBacks pitcher Mike Leake is opting out of playing in 2020. Leaves a few mill on the table but a free agent buyout kicks in at season's end.

I think a few guys will follow him, especially if they've got young families or an immuno-compromised spouse.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:41 pm 
Big in Japan

The teams started practicing and none of the players sound all that excited about it.

David Price opted out, and Buster Posey arrived late and said he'll see how practice goes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:13 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Buster Posey arrived late and said he'll see how practice goes.

In other words, if one guy coughs he's running like hell.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:42 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Buster Posey arrived late and said he'll see how practice goes.

In other words, if one guy coughs he's running like hell.

Posey officially opts out. Just adopted twins, doesn't want to risk it. He was already a borderline probably not Hall of Famer, but this COVID break might cost him any shot whatsoever. But he's always been a family man, so I'm not surprised he chose them first. Good dude.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:54 pm 

I don't blame him one bit. Ian Desmond of the Rockies has also opted out, and penned a thoughtful essay as to his reasons. Really good human, it's a shame his stint with the Rox has been one to forget thus far.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:11 am 
OTP Historian

People for whom this would have any effect on their hall of fame vote for Posey, should immediately have their vote rescinded. Fuck off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:44 am 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
People for whom this would have any effect on their hall of fame vote for Posey, should immediately have their vote rescinded. Fuck off.

I think if anything people respect him more for it, but his stats are light and he needs a couple of good seasons to increase his odds. He's surprisingly far away from 2000 hits and he doesn't strike me as a guy who would play mediocre ball beyond his contract just to pad his numbers, so he might retire in 2 years if his hips are still tight.

Based purely on hitting/longevity, he's behind Mauer and Molina, but he's got the three rings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:12 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

I think if anything people respect him more for it, but his stats are light and he needs a couple of good seasons to increase his odds. He's surprisingly far away from 2000 hits and he doesn't strike me as a guy who would play mediocre ball beyond his contract just to pad his numbers, so he might retire in 2 years if his hips are still tight.

Based purely on hitting/longevity, he's behind Mauer and Molina, but he's got the three rings.

Oooh sorry, I thought you were implying that taking the break might cost him his shot with voters(which I think I had seen one idiot suggest on twitter it would with him) but you were saying that missing a partial year's worth of WAR or counting stats might cost him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:26 pm 

Fuck Baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:54 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Oooh sorry, I thought you were implying that taking the break might cost him his shot with voters(which I think I had seen one idiot suggest on twitter it would with him) but you were saying that missing a partial year's worth of WAR or counting stats might cost him.

Here's how razor thin the margin is for him. He's close and young enough to have a late career resurgence, which he'll need after missing nearly a whole season in his prime from a plate collision and then getting hobbled by bad hips for two years: https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_C.shtml

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:36 am 
Big in Japan

I love baseball, but not like this. I already subscribed to MLB TV in February so I'm going to watch a few games, but I'm not looking forward to this at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:23 pm 
Big in Japan

Feds block the Jays from playing in Toronto. Cross border travel would've been a huge risk. Enjoy sharing a stadium with the Yankees or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:48 pm 

Say hello to your Buffalo Blue Jays! Kinda has a nice ring to it I guess.

In any event, if there were ever a season engineered to the point where the Rockies had a legit shot at winning it all, this might be it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:11 am 
OTP Historian

Marlins have a COVID breakout, proceed to play last night anyways, and tonight's game is cancelled.

Baseball ain't gonna last long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next