OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB 2020 Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:28 pm 
Big in Japan

The first and really only Korean-born hitter to break through in the majors Shin-Soo Choo is returning to Korea after a 15 year career in MLB.

One season he and Joey Votto teamed up for about 230 walks for the Reds. Loved watching this guy hit. He can't field anymore (had a good arm) so not surprised he couldn't find a spot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Giants expected to sign international prospect from the Bahamas Ryan Reckley. I love that the Bahamas has become this hot new development ground for baseball.

I'd love to see baseball in places like Cuba, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Panama. Even Brazil is slowly developing prospects. Not too mention Asia, Australia and South Africa.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:27 pm 
Big in Japan

Had a fantasy baseball draft and my hitting sucks.

I went in with a strategy of drafting pitcher-pitcher to start, and was feeling good about it early when other pitchers started to go, but by the end the hitting depth was long gone and quite a few upside arms remained.

In the late rounds I went for versatility: Muncy, Edman, Moore and Dubon as my first waiver option. I just need a couple of those guys to plug in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:17 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I have very little interest in baseball anymore but I have to ask- shouldn't there be an MLB 2021 thread? This seems dishonest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:23 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
I have very little interest in baseball anymore but I have to ask- shouldn't there be an MLB 2021 thread? This seems dishonest.

At this point we might as well wait for opening day Thursday...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:57 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I figured that after I posted the above. Sue me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I figured that after I posted the above. Sue me.

Also, not to get your hopes up, but I think the Mets and Yankees are going to be good this year. Not sure which you prefer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:42 am 

E.L. wrote:
Also, not to get your hopes up, but I think the Mets and Yankees are going to be good this year. Not sure which you prefer.

When I can be bothered to check out baseball, I'm a Yankee fan but I don't hate the Mets like I'm "supposed" to. I don't see it the same as Isles/Rangers, where they're in the same division and directly competing for playoff spots, etc. Yankees and Mets play a few times/year and to me it's kind of fun, not anywhere near the same as Yankees vs Red Sox. I also have a soft spot for the Mets, since they've had so many shitty owners and horrible losing seasons. Kind of like another NY team that wears orange and blue, not named the Knicks.

That said, the baseball season is far too long to hold my interest. If the Isles are out of the playoff race, I usually pay attention to the first few weeks of the Yankees' season. Then the weather gets nicer and I head outside far more often than I watch games. Somewhere in the middle of June I'll check standings and maybe get interested again for a bit. Same in August. Then if they're in the playoff hunt, I'll start watching again in Sept. If they're in the playoffs I'll watch, as long as there isn't an Isles game conflict.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Vladdy Jr hit three fingers tonight. Gonna be fun watching him and Tatis Jr for the next 10-15 years.

Also, the Giants traded a useful LH reliever Wandy Peralta to the Yanks for OF Mike Tauchman, who had a good 2019 streak but otherwise comes across as a low power, plus defence OBP sparkplug. Yaz insurance in case he's badly hurt/not good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:43 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Vladdy Jr hit three fingers tonight. Gonna be fun watching him and Tatis Jr for the next 10-15 years.

Also, the Giants traded a useful LH reliever Wandy Peralta to the Yanks for OF Mike Tauchman, who had a good 2019 streak but otherwise comes across as a low power, plus defence OBP sparkplug. Yaz insurance in case he's badly hurt/not good.

wrong thread!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:19 am 
OTP Historian

Vladdy with 3 dingers and a double in the Bronx to surpass Fred McGriff's most HRs in first 350 games as a Jay. The second where he turned and clobbered a 98 MPH inside fastball from Gerritt Cole...man.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:06 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Been watching some ball this year and my big question is what possible reason is there to still have umps call balls and strikes? Who doesn't want it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:53 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Been watching some ball this year and my big question is what possible reason is there to still have umps call balls and strikes? Who doesn't want it?

I guess the whole strategy of framing the zone and using that to your advantage goes out the window in that case. But also, it's baseball...keep in mind Wrigley Field had to be dragged kicking and screaming into getting lights for night games installed, and even then there's rules in place that limits the amount of night games they play.

But so long as you continue to employ grossly incompetent officials like Angel Hernandez, this is the only viable option.

Baseball still feels so messed up. There are a lot of rules that frankly need to be installed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:11 pm 
Big in Japan

The umpires are supposed to help keep the pace of the game, that was originally their job even more than just balls/strikes. They have abdicated that responsibility in recent years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:46 pm 

Funny we're using the 2020 thread and not at least the 2021 thread. :lol:

Just saw that Trevor Bauer has been suspended for two years as part of MLB's domestic violence policy. And the administrative leave he's been on since July 2021 doesn't count toward any of it.

Hard to really say what counts as "justice" in cases like this. Personally I didn't care for Bauer at all even before all this came out, but this speaks to a larger debate. Two years seems like a pretty damned hefty suspension, but I don't know if you can put a timetable on stuff like this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Soto to the Padres in a deadline blockbuster. They now have Soto-Machado-Tatis in the middle of the order for this year's playoffs and next season. They've pushed all their chips in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:16 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Soto to the Padres in a deadline blockbuster. They now have Soto-Machado-Tatis in the middle of the order for this year's playoffs and next season. They've pushed all their chips in.

Rockies of course will do absolutely nothing, because they don't even have enough staff to answer the phones.

Gotta love seeing a small market team absolutely going for it, especially in baseball where there's not even a semblance of parity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:20 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Rockies of course will do absolutely nothing, because they don't even have enough staff to answer the phones.

Gotta love seeing a small market team absolutely going for it, especially in baseball where there's not even a semblance of parity.

Rockies re-signed Daniel Bard for basically Jon Gray money, for some reason. They inexplicably shelled out all this money for Bryant, who's been hurt, but was raking before his latest IL stint.

Giants are between a rock and hard place in the NL West. Can't pick up a pile of superstars like the frontrunners, but their platooning strategy hasn't panned out with their entire infield falling apart. Who woulda thunk entrusting the infield to four guys in their mid-30s wouldn't pan out? Giants ought to stay the course, trade Rodon for a top prospect, and make a run at hometown boy Judge in the offseason. They need position players they can count on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:46 pm 

E.L. wrote:

Rockies re-signed Daniel Bard for basically Jon Gray money, for some reason. They inexplicably shelled out all this money for Bryant, who's been hurt, but was raking before his latest IL stint.

Giants are between a rock and hard place in the NL West. Can't pick up a pile of superstars like the frontrunners, but their platooning strategy hasn't panned out with their entire infield falling apart. Who woulda thunk entrusting the infield to four guys in their mid-30s wouldn't pan out? Giants ought to stay the course, trade Rodon for a top prospect, and make a run at hometown boy Judge in the offseason. They need position players they can count on.

That's Monfort for you. He wants 2 or 3 stars on the roster to keep people coming into the games, but he refuses to let Schmidt put together anything resembling a cohesive plan toward building a real contender. Just as well, even if he did he'd find a way to torpedo things right when they were getting good.

Monfort is not the worst owner in sports but he's absolutely the laziest. He always promotes his guys from within because he's never bothered networking in MLB, so he knows no one outside of his own organization to even bother interviewing.

As for Schmidt, he's at least better than that fucking moron Bridich, but that's about the most I can say about him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:36 pm 
Big in Japan

The Rockies and Angels are living in their own insular universes where the owners will spend ridiculous amounts on a star or two, not insulate them with anything and just generally ignore the basic rules of team building. Rox wasted the Arenado/Story years and the Angels are wasting the Trout/Ohtani years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next