OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: MLB 2020 Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:13 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Almost don't want to start this thread. Baseball is in such a dark place right now.

Interesting to see that Patron Saint of Toxic Masculinity, Aubrey Huff, is such an insufferable human being that the Giants very publicly told him they weren't inviting him to their 10-year celebration of their 2010 World Series win.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/02/aubre ... -jerk.html

I mean, how awful a person do you have to be in the world of pro sports, a world rife with MAGAtts, rapists, racists, misogynists, and even murderers, to get blacklisted like this?

Post subject: Re: MLB 2020 Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:42 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Almost don't want to start this thread. Baseball is in such a dark place right now.

Interesting to see that Patron Saint of Toxic Masculinity, Aubrey Huff, is such an insufferable human being that the Giants very publicly told him they weren't inviting him to their 10-year celebration of their 2010 World Series win.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/02/aubre ... -jerk.html

I mean, how awful a person do you have to be in the world of pro sports, a world rife with MAGAtts, rapists, racists, misogynists, and even murderers, to get blacklisted like this?

He probably parked in the GM's spot to deserve the blacklisting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:34 am 
OTP Historian

Like you said, baseball's not in a good place right now. And the players being angry and speaking out against the Astros in the cheating scandal is a divide that I'm sure the owners don't mind going into CBA negotiations....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:07 pm 

It is astounding to me that the commissioners of major league sports can be so completely and utterly incompetent. I didn't think anyone could give Bettman and Goddell a run for their money but Jesus H. Christ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:27 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
It is astounding to me that the commissioners of major league sports can be so completely and utterly incompetent. I didn't think anyone could give Bettman and Goddell a run for their money but Jesus H. Christ...

Meh. He's being spoken about instead of the cheaters in his league, who won a championship recently. Is he doing a bad job?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:27 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Meh. He's being spoken about instead of the cheaters in his league, who won a championship recently. Is he doing a bad job?

Well in response to his complete and utter failure to punish ANY players or strip the Astros of their championship, he called the World Series trophy a "hunk of metal." How fucking tone-deaf can you be!?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:47 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Well in response to his complete and utter failure to punish ANY players or strip the Astros of their championship, he called the World Series trophy a "hunk of metal." How fucking tone-deaf can you be!?

Understood, but again, you're talking about him instead of the cheaters. And much more importantly, so are other players within the league he is commissioner of. He's switching the focus from "those fucks cheated and got away with it! This is a disgrace!" to "That asshole insulted our championship trophy!!! He doesn't deserve his job", while possibly showing a mastery of his job. Maybe. If he is doing that on purpose. If he really thinks of the championship trophy as just a hunk of metal, well, then he's a dumb ass. But people in positions like that usually have much better insight than we all give them credit for. And hey, the players used to call the Stanley Cup the Stovepipe Cup...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Astros didn't swing and miss at a single Kershaw breaking pitch in the 2017 WS. Darvish got similarly played. That trophy comes with an asterisk.

Anyways, onwards and upwards....errr... Jays games are now blacked out for all Canadian MLB.tv subscribers. Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing Shun Yamaguchi pitch.

Always trust baseball to make you feel like shit for being a fan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:24 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Astros didn't swing and miss at a single Kershaw breaking pitch in the 2017 WS. Darvish got similarly played. That trophy comes with an asterisk.

Anyways, onwards and upwards....errr... Jays games are now blacked out for all Canadian MLB.tv subscribers. Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing Shun Yamaguchi pitch.

Always trust baseball to make you feel like shit for being a fan.

Apparently its due to the rights-holders, not MLB or the club. In this case, the Jays's owners.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:57 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Apparently its due to the rights-holders, not MLB or the club. In this case, the Jays's owners.

Oh it absolutely IS MLB and their stupid, outdated, and punitive blackout rules.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:14 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Oh it absolutely IS MLB and their stupid, outdated, and punitive blackout rules.

Nope. Jays had some deal where their games weren't blacked out and MLB decided to pass it on to the rights-holders. Rogers/Sportsnet made the decision to black them out and put on their streaming servers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:06 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Jays had some deal where their games weren't blacked out and MLB decided to pass it on to the rights-holders. Rogers/Sportsnet made the decision to black them out and put on their streaming servers.

MLB shouldn't have decided to pass then. It's their job to intervene and save the owners from themselves and avoid dicking over fans.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:58 pm 
Big in Japan

Mike Yastrzemski came out of nowhere to be the Giants best hitter last year. Everyone's assuming he'll fall back to earth in year two, but this article proves what I saw: He makes consistently hard contact while maintaining a pretty aggressive launch angle. I think he could hit 25 HR's this season with 500 or more PA's

https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/mike-ya ... ch-in-2020

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:16 pm 

A new Yaz! My old man loved Carl when he played.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:45 am 
Big in Japan

MLB in Vancouver? It almost happened in 2018 and 2019: The Diamondbacks were having structural issues with their retractable roof and visited BC Place in the search of an emergency home.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 889477002/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:31 pm 
Big in Japan

Will Joey Bats henceforth be known as Joey Mound? He's working out as a pitcher for Dominican Olympic qualifying.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:29 pm 
Big in Japan

World Baseball Classic moved to 2023. With the Olympics pushed a year qualifying next year would've been a mess.

Team Canada might look a lot different. Figure the old guard of Votto, Saunders, Romak, Martin will be long gone. Then again, Toro, the Naylors, Yerzy in the middle of the order might be impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:31 pm 
Big in Japan

MLB and the PA are having a terrible time coming up with an agreement on how to start the season. MLB are the real cheapskates here.

If they come back, the NL will use the DH and there could be ads on uniforms.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:18 am 

Fuck. I hate the DH.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:49 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Pokecheque wrote:
Fuck. I hate the DH.

So do I. I guess its what you're used to as I grew up watching the Expos.

But a pitcher is a player and a player should hit for themselves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next