OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Masters 2019
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:42 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Well, I never thought he'd be able to do it, but Tiger completes his career come back with an emotional win at Augusta National, taking his 5th Masters and 15th overall tournament Major. Still needs 3 more catch Jack but never say never I suppose. Amazing competition.

Post subject: Re: The Masters 2019
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:14 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Well, I never thought he'd be able to do it, but Tiger completes his career come back with an emotional win at Augusta National, taking his 5th Masters and 15th overall tournament Major. Still needs 3 more catch Jack but never say never I suppose. Amazing competition.

Mixed feelings about this one. His personal history doesn't exactly make him a villian, but not the good guy narrative for sure. Comeback from years of injury is impressive though. And with the form he started showing last year and now this win, if he can stay healthy which seems unlikely but if he can, 3 majors in the next couple years does not seem out of the question.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:41 am 
King of the One-Liner

Three will be really tough even healthy for a couple of years and it is a monster of his own creation. The amount of quality golfers he has to go through is much more than back in his days of domination and that is likely due to all the kid athletes he made look at golf as an option 10-20 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:53 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yep, being half-Asian I used to worship Tiger. I still can't really bring myself to root for the guy, but I'm happy for him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:06 pm 
Big in Japan

I know golf is hard and Tiger (and even Phil) has given everyone an unreasonable expectation of how dominant a golfer can be, but man am I tired of the current crop of stars (Spieth, Day, Rory, DJ, Fowler) settling for being merely good and not showing that drive to dominate on tour.

All the skill in the world, able to outdrive Tiger pretty handily at this point, and they just don't move the needle at all. They hang around, lap the field once or twice a year, but more often than not they just blend in the crowd.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:13 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Not one single shot of DJ, who entered the club house with the lead the entire tourney after his final round. Not one. No video montage, nothing. That pretty much says it all.