OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:12 am 
Big in Japan

I had no idea there was a AAA team called the Miami Marlins in the late 50s, and that a very old Satchel Paige pitched for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Mar ... nal_League)

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/article/2 ... /812021173

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:53 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I say again...fuck baseball.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:43 pm 

LARRY WALKER IS IN THE FUCKING HALL OF FAME BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First Canadian position player to make it in, only the second Canadian ever to make it in.

It really was looking bleak early on, even Walker himself tweeted that it probably wasn't gonna happen.

Now I feel rotten for ever slagging the guy. He is indeed the greatest Rockie of all time, and one of the all time greats. Congrats Larry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:57 pm 
Big in Japan

I'm surprised Larry made it, but I'm happy he did.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:50 am 

E.L. wrote:
I'm surprised Larry made it, but I'm happy he did.

Same.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:11 am 
Big in Japan

It's been a pretty magical/bittersweet run for former Expos getting into the Hall of Fame. Gary Carter did it when the Spos were still around in 2003, but in the last decade, Dawson, Raines, Pedro, Vlad and Walker have all gone in. (Big Unit too, but his time in Montreal was relatively short.) Pretty incredible run when you consider the Angels have been around since the early 60s and Vlad was their first Hall of Famer.

Walker will be the last Expo to get into the Hall. They might be waiting for an answer about a new downtown park, but I hope at some point Montreal will build a plaque or statue to honour them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Yankee fans are irate that Jeter didn't get in unanimously. The guy had as much range to his left as a turnip. He wasn't a "perfect" player. Yes, he had 3000 hits, was a leader on a team that won 5 championships during his era, etc. But that doesn't mean that he should get a unanimous vote. Really people. Settle the fuck down and be happy he's in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:50 am 
OTP Historian

Awesome that Walker finally got in!

And being upset that Jeter didn't get in unanimously? Fuck off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:43 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
LARRY WALKER IS IN THE FUCKING HALL OF FAME BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I feel rotten for ever slagging the guy. He is indeed the greatest Rockie of all time, and one of the all time greats. Congrats Larry.

I was wondering yesterday what you were thinking about Walker and HoF as I thought I recalled you years ago disparaging the man. Memory being fuzzy wasn't certain.

Anyways he was excellent prior to landing with the Rockies, he was excellent away from Coor's field, he deserved in a long time ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:43 pm 
Big in Japan

I love Larry Walker and I always considered him a borderline HOF guy, so it's appropriate he got in by six votes on his last try. He was a true 5-tool guy but never reached the obvious plateaus (3000 hits, 500 HR) some of his peers did, and lost a couple of half-seasons in his prime due to injury. But as far as folk heroes go, he has the narrative to get in: hockey kid from BC who basically learned the game in the minors. A true lumberjack.

Although I realize it's not a consideration for enshrinement, Walker, Andruw Jones and eventually Ichiro are special cases to me because of their importance to the game in their home countries.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:37 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
I was wondering yesterday what you were thinking about Walker and HoF as I thought I recalled you years ago disparaging the man. Memory being fuzzy wasn't certain.

Anyways he was excellent prior to landing with the Rockies, he was excellent away from Coor's field, he deserved in a long time ago.

I can't quite remember why I didn't like the guy--I actually liked his off-the-cuff comments and sense of humor back then too. I think there was something about his demands to bat third in the lineup no matter what that didn't sit well with me or something as well as his well-known spat with teammate Dante Bichette, but really, I think it was yet another overreaction from me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:25 pm 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Apparently both Hinch and Luhnow have also been fired.

Why were no players punished? They had a big role to play in this too.

Apparently Manfred said that it was so broad in scope it's hard to determine just how many/much to suspend guys and a lot have moved on now to different teams, where it wouldn't exactly be fair to punish their teams when their teams had nothing to do with it.

Here's why:

https://theathletic.com/1555375/2020/01 ... r-goodies/

Quote:
Jared Diamond of the Wall Street Journal had a fascinating piece on the Astros scandal and investigation this week, reporting that players were given immunity in exchange for telling the truth to investigators (which is part of the reason why they were able to wrap it up as quickly as they did). This was done largely out of fear of grievances being filed by the union — a fear heightened by the fact that, according to commissioner Rob Manfred’s statement on the matter, the Astros did not forward his September 2017 memorandum admonishing teams for using electronic devices to steal signs. Because the players weren’t informed of the memo (or a similar memo sent by Joe Torre, the league’s Chief Baseball Officer, in 2018) it would have been hard to hand down punishment. In effect, by withholding this information, the Astros gave their players space for grievances that limited the scope of the punishment possible for players — and thus the potential damage to the organization. Yikes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:33 pm 

Apparently Jeff Luhnow has done a shit-ton of damage to the game. It ain't just the cheating, I guess he took a look at a few spreadsheets and told baseball it'd save them a lot of money if they basically torpedoed minor league baseball. So they did.

Fuck this guy and fuck the Astros forever.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:23 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Apparently Jeff Luhnow has done a shit-ton of damage to the game. It ain't just the cheating, I guess he took a look at a few spreadsheets and told baseball it'd save them a lot of money if they basically torpedoed minor league baseball. So they did.

What'd you mean, like not allocate any resource to player development at the minor league level?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

What'd you mean, like not allocate any resource to player development at the minor league level?

MLB is proposing massive contraction (dropping 42 franchises) to save a few bucks: https://www.tsn.ca/mayors-launch-task-f ... -1.1431485

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:54 pm 

Yep, and I believe the savings just aren't that great, but they're okay with completely nuking baseball's outreach into small-town America because they simply don't give a rat's ass.

They effectively killed minor league baseball in Colorado already. The Rockies AAA affiliate is now in...Albuquerque. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:23 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Yep, and I believe the savings just aren't that great, but they're okay with completely nuking baseball's outreach into small-town America because they simply don't give a rat's ass.

They effectively killed minor league baseball in Colorado already. The Rockies AAA affiliate is now in...Albuquerque. :roll:

and Vancouver's went to Sacramento, fuk baseball

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:00 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

So major league players wouldn't know that wearing a fucking buzzing wire to the plate only at home games was cheating because they weren't told? Why didn't the players ask to do it on the road? Oh, because it's one of those things that's really fucking obvious that it's cheating? So they shouldn't need to be told? Ok. Weird.

The bullshit here is so deep, Altuve may drown in it at any moment.

Baseball in the 90s: What steroids? These guys are naturally huge!
Baseball in the early 2000s: Okay, maybe a few guys did roids. But we've gotten rid of them!
Baseball in the 2010s: We've totally gotten rid of all the roid monsters! And boy, was there a lot of them! Sure they made 10s of millions every year while us owners made hundreds of millions every year off of them, but they will be severely punished! No HoF for them! HA!
Baseball in 2020: Steal signs? Nobody steals signs! Okay, so they stole some signs. What's the big deal? They say they won't do it again. We couldn't possibly punish the players, who have home/road splits that look like totally different leagues, let alone players. We've made an example of some old guys who sat in offices. We couldn't possibly punish the players who benefited from stolen signs, wearing wires, etc. I mean, they didn't even know it was wrong!

To put no onus on the players for this is laughable. They wore buzzers to the plate! Only at home. How can anyone look at fans with a straight face and say they didn't know? Pathetic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:34 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
So major league players wouldn't know that wearing a fucking buzzing wire to the plate only at home games was cheating because they weren't told? Why didn't the players ask to do it on the road? Oh, because it's one of those things that's really fucking obvious that it's cheating? So they shouldn't need to be told? Ok. Weird.

The bullshit here is so deep, Altuve may drown in it at any moment.

Baseball in the 90s: What steroids? These guys are naturally huge!
Baseball in the early 2000s: Okay, maybe a few guys did roids. But we've gotten rid of them!
Baseball in the 2010s: We've totally gotten rid of all the roid monsters! And boy, was there a lot of them! Sure they made 10s of millions every year while us owners made hundreds of millions every year off of them, but they will be severely punished! No HoF for them! HA!
Baseball in 2020: Steal signs? Nobody steals signs! Okay, so they stole some signs. What's the big deal? They say they won't do it again. We couldn't possibly punish the players, who have home/road splits that look like totally different leagues, let alone players. We've made an example of some old guys who sat in offices. We couldn't possibly punish the players who benefited from stolen signs, wearing wires, etc. I mean, they didn't even know it was wrong!

To put no onus on the players for this is laughable. They wore buzzers to the plate! Only at home. How can anyone look at fans with a straight face and say they didn't know? Pathetic.

Oh I would be 100% down with the buzzer guys being punished. I thought that stuff came out after Manfred's punishment. Could also be that they were given immunity for testimony as well...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:36 pm 
Big in Japan

Biggest baseball trade in years goes down with Mookie Betts, clearly the second best player in baseball, and the husk of David Price from Boston to Los Angeles in a three way deal with two decent prospects to Boston and Kenta Maeda to Minnesota. Joc Pederson to Anaheim as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next