OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
If the Jays want to build something around Bichette, Biggio and Vlad Jr for competing a year or two from now, then now is the time to front-load a deal to a top-tier free agent pitcher or two. You can't rely on everyone being both available and willing to come the winter you decide you're ready. Fuck that.

Would like to see them go after a reliable Keuchel, Porcello or Teheran-type, guys who give 170-190 no-nonsense innings. I feel like they're valuable just because of the pressure that goes off the bullpen.

Chase Anderson was a good pickup to that end. He'll give them 130 perfectly adequate innings. Lots of starting pitchers on the open market, I'm sure they'll find a couple of guys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:42 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:
If the Jays want to build something around Bichette, Biggio and Vlad Jr for competing a year or two from now, then now is the time to front-load a deal to a top-tier free agent pitcher or two. You can't rely on everyone being both available and willing to come the winter you decide you're ready. Fuck that.

Would like to see them go after a reliable Keuchel, Porcello or Teheran-type, guys who give 170-190 no-nonsense innings. I feel like they're valuable just because of the pressure that goes off the bullpen.

Chase Anderson was a good pickup to that end. He'll give them 130 perfectly adequate innings. Lots of starting pitchers on the open market, I'm sure they'll find a couple of guys.

Yeah, those guys are important. What was traded for him aside, there's definitely value in having R.A. Dickey go out and reliably throw 200 innings, every 5th day. But I still feel like they will need at least one guy to really move the needle. The Anderson pickup is a good move but if they have any designs on a championship, they might need an overpay on an ace. Front-load the deal while the kids are cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:55 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Rox did little more than shed salary, doubt it goes toward anything productive this offseason.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:46 am 
Big in Japan

Anyone watching Premier 12 Olympic Baseball Qualifying? What an unexpectedly great tournament so far!

The teams are a mix of top prospects (USA), Japanese and Korean pros and journeymen. A real motley crew but the talent is there.

Stayed up late to watch for former first-round prospect Phillippe Aumont dominate a portly Cuban lineup for Canada. Not sure why he never panned out in the majors, but his breaking pitches and cutter were unhittable. Dude will probably get a Japan or Korean league offer from this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Gabe Kapler named successor to manager Bruce Bochy in San Francisco. No surprise, given he and team president Farhan Zaidi both come from the Dodgers.

Canned after two years in Philly, but it's his time in Los Angeles and his handling of sexual assaults involving his players that hangs over this hiring: https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/2/6/ ... a-phillies

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:53 pm 

Holy shit...this sign stealing thing may end up being a pretty big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:10 pm 

It really is fucking ridiculous that this is Larry Walker's 10th and final chance to make it into Cooperstown. He may not have been first ballot material but he should've made it in a while ago. Some of his most important stats outpace Derek frickin' Jeter.

And this is coming from someone who was not that big a fan of Walker's during his time in Colorado.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
It really is fucking ridiculous that this is Larry Walker's 10th and final chance to make it into Cooperstown. He may not have been first ballot material but he should've made it in a while ago. Some of his most important stats outpace Derek frickin' Jeter.

And this is coming from someone who was not that big a fan of Walker's during his time in Colorado.

I'm torn about Mooselips. One of my favourite Spos growing up, has the WAR to make it but I do wonder about Coors inflation. Anyways, screw those New York farts who are only voting for Jeter, one of the most overrated players of all time.

Meanwhile, free agency is going a bit faster than last year. Giants have already lost Will Smith and will lose Bumgarner shortly (Braves? Twins? Phillies?). They'll go dumpster diving for 20-HR guys and back of rotation types.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:05 am 
Big in Japan

Giants non-tender fan favourite Kevin Pillar, who would've made 10M in arbitration. Between that and Kapler, Giants fans are livid. They're really not interested in a rebuild even though the team is already in one.

I'm sad Pillar is gone but I get it: league bottom OBP, declining defence. But he hit 20 homeruns, which is rare when you play at Oracle Park, and as all you Jays fans know is a total gamer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:55 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Giants non-tender fan favourite Kevin Pillar, who would've made 10M in arbitration. Between that and Kapler, Giants fans are livid. They're really not interested in a rebuild even though the team is already in one.

I'm sad Pillar is gone but I get it: league bottom OBP, declining defence. But he hit 20 homeruns, which is rare when you play at Oracle Park, and as all you Jays fans know is a total gamer.

Low OBP, low Avg OF? Sounds like the exact kind of player the Shapiro/Atkins regime seems to think there's a market inefficiency for...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:46 pm 

Collusion is in full effect. Owners are squeezing the players every which way they can. Either non-tending arbitration-eligible players, to manipulating service time, to just plain not signing any free agents. Wonder if they'll get a harsh fine for it (that they paid back by over-expanding the leagues)?

Once again, a plethora of viable talent out there that the Rox won't touch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Collusion is in full effect. Owners are squeezing the players every which way they can. Either non-tending arbitration-eligible players, to manipulating service time, to just plain not signing any free agents. Wonder if they'll get a harsh fine for it (that they paid back by over-expanding the leagues)?

Once again, a plethora of viable talent out there that the Rox won't touch.

At least the Arenado/Story rumours have died down a little.

Basically if you're a 2 WAR player and less, you're worth no more than a minimum salaried guy. So bye bye Pillar and his ilk. If you're 2.5 WAR and up, you're about to get paid.

I'm happy Grandal and Moustakas got paid after getting screwed last time. Same with Smith, who deserved better than a qualifying offer. Sounds like all the big starting pitchers--Cole, Stras, Wheeler, Bum--are gonna get paid.

Rangers are committed to spending with a new park opening, so 200+ to local boy Rendon is doable. They also had success with Beltre and Rendon is a similar type.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:20 pm 
Big in Japan

Washington just handed Stephen Strasburg $245 million. Good money if you can get it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:06 pm 
Big in Japan

Yankees sign Gerrit Cole: 9 years, $324MM. Lotta scratch.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:57 pm 

E.L. wrote:

My God WHY do they keep interviewing Scott Boras...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:40 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:

George Steinbrenner is grinning in his grave.

Saw a note that the 2010-2019 era is the only decade the Yankees didn't at least make the WS. Holy shit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:54 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

George Steinbrenner is grinning in his grave.

Saw a note that the 2010-2019 era is the only decade the Yankees didn't at least make the WS. Holy shit.

It explains why they've thrown caution to the wind by signing Cole! The Yanks were pretty stinky for parts of the 80s and 90s, but I guess they've never had a full decade of futility*.

*They still win 90-100 games every season

I think Rendon will go to the Dodgers now, and probably Ryu too.

If not, I see Ryu sticking in Cali and going to the pitching-starved Angels. Anaheim and Minny can fight over Bumgarner and Keuchel.

Donaldson can then slide into Tony's old position in Washington. Texas could also be in on Josh, as they have a new stadium and are in on Rendon.

The Giants basically paid 12M for a first-round pick yesterday by taking on Cozart's contract and bum shoulder. I think they'll do the same with the Cubs and Red Sox, who seem pretty desperate to slice payroll. Give us your tired, your poor, your Tyler Chatwoods and Nathan Eovaldis.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:58 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hey, as much as I like the Yankees, I hate most Yankee fans, who feel that the team NEEDS to win the WS every year. When they don't the fans want everyone fired, drawn and quartered by snails, and then set on fire.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:58 pm 

Shocking--there's a report out there that the Rockies are listening to offers for Nolan Arenado.

Third-rate organization deserves whatever it gets.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:19 am 
Big in Japan

Rendon goes to the Angels for 7/245.

The two highest paid position players play for the same team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next