OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:40 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

The Quadrennial Futbol World Cup starts Thursday, 14 June 2018 with a match in Moscow featuring Saudi Arabia and the host, Russia. The favourites are the usual suspect's: Brazil, France, Germany and Spain. The next tier includes Argentina, Belgium, Iceland and Portugal. The dark horses are Croatia, England and Uruguay. Top African teams include Egypt if Mo Salah can return to health and Senegal. Notable missing teams include Italy and the United States.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:30 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Let's go Uruguay !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:00 pm 
OTP Historian

Logical Progression wrote:
Let's go Uruguay !

Nooooooo...you're not cheering for a team with Suarez, are you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

God I hate the fucking diving. When is FIFA gonna do something about that!?!?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:24 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Let's go Uruguay !
The game is full of divers. It's pretty much all they do. Not a fan of the Suarez antics though. It's just that I owned a piece of land in Uruguay and have spent a lot of time down there. It's a beautiful small country with beautiful people. Better than Argentina and Brazil.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:14 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:

The game would be unrecognizable without diving. Guys grabbing the wrong "injured" leg is a soccer staple. That would be like baseball without chewing something for hours (or steroids), hockey without ice... It just wouldn't be the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:27 pm 

England managed to avoid the pratfalls, with a 90+ minute winning goal by Harry Kane, which kept them from following Germany with a shock 1 - 0 loss to Mexico, Brazil in a 1 - 1 draw with Switzerland and Argentina drawing 1 - 1 with Iceland. That match included a missed penalty shot from Lionel Messi. In other action, Portugal and Spain played a real cracker of a match with a 3 - 3 draw that was highlighted by a Cristiano Ronaldo hat-trick that included an otherworldly free kick in stoppage time after it looked as if Spain had managed to win out. Belgium had a 3 - 0 cakewalk over Panama. Upcoming matches of note in the next 2 days include Poland v, Senegal, worth watching because of Robert Lewandowski and Sadio Mane and Russia v. Egypt if Mohammed Salah has achieved match fitness.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:35 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:

The worst perpetrators seem to be the guys who shouldn't need to dive like they've been shot. Yes, I mean you Neymar. The guy is so supremely talented and yet he's still flopping about like a fish every time he's breathed on. Luis Suarez, you are too good for this. You don't need to dive to be great. I really hope with video replay, VAR, available now that the referees can start carding and disqualifying the serial embellishers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 am 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
Let's go Uruguay !
The game is full of divers. It's pretty much all they do. Not a fan of the Suarez antics though. It's just that I owned a piece of land in Uruguay and have spent a lot of time down there. It's a beautiful small country with beautiful people. Better than Argentina and Brazil.

Oh I know about the diving. But biting people and then diving like they hit you is a whole new level :lol: But yeah, your reasoning makes sense.

How'd you end up with a piece of land down there?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:31 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Let's go Uruguay !
Oh I know about the diving. But biting people and then diving like they hit you is a whole new level :lol: But yeah, your reasoning makes sense.

How'd you end up with a piece of land down there?
One of my business partners and old friends from the music industry (UK bloke), decided to move there when he sold our company and semi-retired for a multitude of reasons -- the climate and people being among them.

Uruguay is a small emerging country with quite a cool modern European building and design aesthetic and many opportunitues. I travelled there several times across a few years and fell in love with the place found this piece of untouched waterfront land in a place just north of Punta Del Este, called Punta Del Diablo.

Anyways, long story short, swung a deal for a piece of beach land for super cheap with the intention of building a summer cabin there. But it is so far, like really south far from North America (the seasons are reversed to NA) no matter where you live. But if you live on the west coast of Canada or US, it's like 14+ hours to get there and we just couldn't get the building off the ground for a variety of factors, not the least of which were spurious contracting and labour practices and the cost of actually being able to get there without being completely destroyed but the travel. Ended up flipping it a few years later for a small profit but a great experience all in all and a beautiful part of the world.

There in tough against France though. Cavani out.