OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017 MLB Season
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:03 pm 
Big in Japan

SF already has two ok hitting, poor fielding corner outfielders gobbling up a ton of money in Pence and Span. CarGo has a bat but nowhere to play on the Giants.

They desperately need an athletic CF. The outfield defence was a disaster, and they admitted as much in the post-season press conference. In the past they had success taking flyers on Torres and Blanco. Even Gorkys was solid with the bat from June-Aug. (His lousy Apr-May ruined his statline.)

They could sign Lorenzo Cain, but after the Rowand debacle and Pagan/Span losing a step mid-contract, not sure they'll want to give another 30-year-old 4 years to play a speed-first position.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:24 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
SF already has two ok hitting, poor fielding corner outfielders gobbling up a ton of money in Pence and Span. CarGo has a bat but nowhere to play on the Giants.

They desperately need an athletic CF. The outfield defence was a disaster, and they admitted as much in the post-season press conference. In the past they had success taking flyers on Torres and Blanco. Even Gorkys was solid with the bat from June-Aug. (His lousy Apr-May ruined his statline.)

They could sign Lorenzo Cain, but after the Rowand debacle and Pagan/Span losing a step mid-contract, not sure they'll want to give another 30-year-old 4 years to play a speed-first position.

Pillar would be your guy but right now he's still relatively cheap and the Jays don't need to be dealing outfielders...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:02 am 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Pillar would be your guy but right now he's still relatively cheap and the Jays don't need to be dealing outfielders...

He's definitely on the G's radar. Not only the defence, but a RH bat who could maybe chip in 12 HR, which for SF is a lot.

What's the deal with Pompey? Too hurt to ever make it? I like his tools and if the G's are looking for upside, I'd love for them to go with the smart hitting switch hitters Profar and Pompey.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:36 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

He's definitely on the G's radar. Not only the defence, but a RH bat who could maybe chip in 12 HR, which for SF is a lot.

What's the deal with Pompey? Too hurt to ever make it? I like his tools and if the G's are looking for upside, I'd love for them to go with the smart hitting switch hitters Profar and Pompey.

It's funny that you mention him because he definitely popped into my head as well and I was looking him up during/after I replied to you.

I don't really know...he was looking great in the minors a couple of years back but got hurt and then got really hurt last season and missed almost the entire thing. Yet he's still only 24 years old. If the jays do move him, they're selling low and signalling that he's not in the future plans. I'm not sure why they would do that rather than giving him a shot this spring. There like 0 poptential upside to a Pearce-Pillar-Zeke outfield. It's going to be the more of the same or worse. They need to have Pompey, Alford and Dwight Smith Jr. step up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:38 am 
Big in Japan

Thanks to the CBA, the Giants almost definitely won't sign Cain or any FA that got a qualifying offer. Because they've been in the luxury tax for three years, they would have to give up their 2nd and 5th round pick to sign Cain, as well as pay any additional luxury tax penalties. Absolutely not worth it. They would rather trade for a player entering arbitration, like Billy Hamilton, Michael Taylor or Corey Dickerson.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:58 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Rest in Peace, Doc. You'll forever be my hometown's Favorite Son... :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Ohtani coming!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp ... story.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:20 pm 
Big in Japan

While we wait to see where Stanton goes, the Giants added an intriguing catcher for their minor leagues: Czech Republic's Martin Cervenka. Signed at 16 by Cleveland but really only started playing seriously in 2016. Last year as a 24-year-old he hit 278/.343/.418 in A-ball. It would be cool to have a catcher from Prague backing up Buster Posey in 2019.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:48 pm 

Alex Anthopoulos starts his tenure on a down note--MLB bans his predecessor for life and strips them of prospects for violating international signing restrictions.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/brav ... iolations/

It ain't the "death penalty" by any means but it's still pretty harsh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:26 pm 
Big in Japan

The MLB offseason is a month in and barely anything has happened. The Stanton and Ohtani sweepstakes are holding everything up. A bunch of teams don't want to commit to free agents while they still have a shot at either player. Stanton's 295M contract is especially delaying things, because it might take more than one deal and more than one team picking up the contract to make it all work. Every team wants Ohtani, and are keeping their rotation and DH spots open for the Japanese Babe Ruth.

With Stanton, Ohtani and Maitan (to a lesser extent) available, there's really a chance for teams to acquire a generational talent, which is making guys like Cain and Darvish look like chopped liver.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:32 am 
Big in Japan

The Ohtani sweepstakes have been great so far: A ballplayer not motivated primarily about money or being in a big market.

Still in it: Mariners, Padres, Angels, Dodgers, Giants, Rangers, Cubs. I think the first three are the favourites.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:23 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Starlin Castro for Giancarlo Stanton. The Yankees go from the lovable, underpaid, overachievers back to being "the Evil Empire" in the court of public opinion...
And as a NY Radio host put it- Derek Jeter is still working magic for the Yankees. It's a little odd, since Judge already plays right field and crushes home runs to the Moon. The assumption is that they'll split time playing and DHing. Not the worst problem to have.

And Aaron Boone (?!?!?!) takes over managing, and is instantly thrust into "you've got the tools to win the WS, so you'd freakin' better do it!" status with NYers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:58 pm 
Big in Japan

Ohtani picks the Angels. Gonna be fun to watch him and Trout next season.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:49 pm 

Fuck the New York Yankees.

Fuck the Whatever Angels. I stopped rooting for them the moment they tried to milk two different markets.

And most of all, fuck MLB for letting a group with zero money "buy" the Miami Marlins and then proceed to sell off assets, including the reigning MVP, for pennies on the dollar. And fuck Derek Jeter for being a part of it.

Baseball needs a salary cap (and floor) in the worst way.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fuck the New York Yankees.

Fuck the Whatever Angels. I stopped rooting for them the moment they tried to milk two different markets.

And most of all, fuck MLB for letting a group with zero money "buy" the Miami Marlins and then proceed to sell off assets, including the reigning MVP, for pennies on the dollar. And fuck Derek Jeter for being a part of it.

Baseball needs a salary cap (and floor) in the worst way.

I'll agree with the bold statement.

Everyone hates the Yankees for doing what they WISH their team would do, and truly go for it. Stanton had a no trade clause, and chose 4 cities to go to. The Mets could have stepped up. The Angels or Dodgers could have stepped up. The Cubs or White Sox could have stepped up. The Astros could have stepped up. He gave 4 cities and therefore 7 teams, since he chose big markets. The Yankees make a move to improve their team.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:31 am 

Yes, the Yankees did what anyone else would have done in their place. And if I had Cristiano Ronaldo's looks, talent, and money I'd probably be doing the same shit he does. Doesn't make either any less of a dick. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:32 pm 
Big in Japan

Yankees spent the last few years building up the "right" way, but Judge ended up being better than anyone imagined and Stanton fell into their laps. Them's the breaks. Time to go fer it.

The Giants, on the other hand, were in on Stanton and Ohtani but ended up with neither. They desperately need a right-handed bopper (either at 3B or OF) and an athletic CF. It seems like Stanton was the only guy they were willing to go over the luxury tax for, so I think they might surprise some people by dealing some vets and trying to get younger. Brandon Belt for Jackie Bradley Jr has been thrown around and I kinda like it. They'd love to find a taker for Span and seem willing to trade Samardzija if it gets them a younger position player.

Duggar and Arroyo could start at CF and 3B respectively if they're really committing to cutting, but both missed most of 2017 and Arroyo just got a few pins in his hand. I think his development just got severely delayed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:45 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Yankees spent the last few years building up the "right" way, but Judge ended up being better than anyone imagined and Stanton fell into their laps. Them's the breaks. Time to go fer it.

Gregorius, Bird, etc as well. When they won 4/5 in the late 90s, they had built up the right way too (Jeter, Posada, Pettite, Rivera...), but people jumped all over them for trading for a guy like Paul O'Neil. Who wouldn't??? You build up your team to a point where you can deal from a position of power. I mean, it's kind of like the Avalanche having Roy fall into their laps when they'd had Sakic and Forsberg already, then added Bourque... Were they assholes for taking those guys? Or going for a championship?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:53 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
I mean, it's kind of like the Avalanche having Roy fall into their laps when they'd had Sakic and Forsberg already, then added Bourque... Were they assholes for taking those guys? Or going for a championship?

Assholes, 100%

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Joey Votto wins the Lou Marsh Award for best Canadian athlete of the year!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next