OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2016 NFL season
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Broncos win by the skin of their teeth. Much as I despise the practice of "icing the kicker" it actually worked this time.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201609080 ... &tab=recap

If you don't like boring offense, you probably shouldn't watch Denver this year.

Post subject: Re: 2016 NFL season
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:11 pm 

Week 1 in the books (MNF is the "eh" matchup nowadays, so it doesn't count).

For all the shit the NHL rightly gets for stupid rule changes and peddling a watered-down product, the NFL is ten times worse, and yet they enjoy more widespread popularity than ever. I don't think I'll be watching a ton of football this year...then again, I haven't really for a while now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:06 am 
Big in Japan

After 55 years, the Chargers are moving from San Diego to Los Angeles. Where they'll play 15th fiddle, or something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:56 am 

E.L. wrote:
After 55 years, the Chargers are moving from San Diego to Los Angeles. Where they'll play 15th fiddle, or something like that.

It's not like they ever achieved any sort of real success in San Diego. They've always been a bit of a joke of a pro franchise. I mean, seriously, before Crimea Rivers showed up the greatest and most successful QB in their history was...Stan Humphries!

The good news is they're moving to L.A., where there's an NFL franchise in much worse shape than they are.

And yes, I know who owns it. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:53 am 
Big in Japan

I watched about 5 minutes of NFL action this year. I like the games and the players, but the league is so hard to love.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:17 pm 
OTPoliceman

Av-merican wrote:
E.L. wrote:

It's not like they ever achieved any sort of real success in San Diego. They've always been a bit of a joke of a pro franchise. I mean, seriously, before Crimea Rivers showed up the greatest and most successful QB in their history was...Stan Humphries!

The good news is they're moving to L.A., where there's an NFL franchise in much worse shape than they are.

And yes, I know who owns it. :evil:

Gee Av, I know they are a division rival and you hate them almost as much as the Raiders but Dan Fouts was a pretty good QB during the Air Coryell days and going back to the AFL so was John Hadl. Joe Namath even touted Hadl as well as KC's Len Dawson (Yes, you hate them too!) and Miami's Bob Griese as better QBs than the Baltimore Colt's Earl Morrall before the Jet's 1969 Super Bowl win.

I guess I'm a traditionalist, plus I'm getting old if I remember John Hadl.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:14 pm 

Yeah, I suppose Fouts was pretty good. Namath actually donned the jersey for a while there too, but that was in the twilight of his career.

And just so you don't feel too old, I do know who Len Dawson is. :D I have no animosity toward him because he kinda predates the Broncos/Chiefs rivalry.

Regardless, the Chargers have been the laughing stock of the AFC West for as long as I can remember. The closest they came to real, sustained success was when they had one of the best running backs in the game in LaDanian Tomlinson, and even then they found a way to completely screw that up.

Now, apparently so many other pro sports teams and fans made fun of the Chargers' new logo the NFL took the original tweet down. Both the Bolts and Dallas Stars had the best quips. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:09 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Yeah, I suppose Fouts was pretty good. Namath actually donned the jersey for a while there too, but that was in the twilight of his career.

And just so you don't feel too old, I do know who Len Dawson is. :D I have no animosity toward him because he kinda predates the Broncos/Chiefs rivalry.

Regardless, the Chargers have been the laughing stock of the AFC West for as long as I can remember. The closest they came to real, sustained success was when they had one of the best running backs in the game in LaDanian Tomlinson, and even then they found a way to completely screw that up.

Now, apparently so many other pro sports teams and fans made fun of the Chargers' new logo the NFL took the original tweet down. Both the Bolts and Dallas Stars had the best quips. :lol:

They've had Antonio Gates for forever too. 5 division titles in 6 years was pretty good, no?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:35 pm 

Bosc wrote:
They've had Antonio Gates for forever too. 5 division titles in 6 years was pretty good, no?

Yeah, but "pretty good" was as good as it ever got for them. How many Super Bowls did they win during that time? How many Super Bowls did they actually GET to during that time?

The answer: Zero. And they only made it to one AFC Championship game during that time. I'm sorry, but that's kinda pathetic.

Part of the problem was the very same reason they actually had success: Marty Schottenheimer. Dude was a brilliant coach and team builder, but could never, ever get it done in the postseason. It was seriously painful sometimes watching him fall completely apart coaching in the playoffs.

Yes, Gates was amazing in his prime, so much so the Broncos tried to draft/develop a copy of him and recruited Wesley Duke, a former basketball player turned football tight end. Obviously that didn't work out. :lol: They also had Shawne Merriman at LB anchoring their defense, and while I was never a huge fan of his, he was pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:09 am 

So it looks like the Canadian affected most by tonight's stunning comeback/choke job is Eugenie Bouchard, who apparently agreed to go on a date with some random guy on Twitter if the Patriots won.

Damn...wish I had thought of that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Another win for Trump's America. I felt dirty supporting the NFL for even just one game this year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:05 pm 

The football on display yesterday was not even remotely watchable. What a joke this league has become.