OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:02 am 
OTP Historian

Holy shit. This is huge. And this doesn't sound like a guy who is just mad at the league and out for blood because he can't get a contract, or trying to sell a book.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/8/20/91831 ... nt-profile

The full article, that I haven't read yet.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13463 ... fl-forever

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:19 pm 

I don't think it's huge, just another straw on the camels back. NFL, players and fans have a huge amount of collective denial that will keep the sport powered for a long time.

One thing I read recently was work being done for motor cycle helmets that may be relevant to sports. A company has taken a completely different method of engineering the helmet. The problem with helmets is they protect the surface of the head but do almost nothing for the brain slamming against the inside of the skull. So they re-engineered the helmet so when it comes in contact the force is directed out, away from the skull.

Cars have been re-designed this way. 30 years ago and more, energy from car accidents directed the force inwards, they then started redesigning so the vehicle would redirect the energy away from the passengers and shift it outwards. It's why vehicles in even minor accidents are more expensive to repair then they used to be but do a better job of saving lives with parts made of weaker materials.

If the helmets can be made to do something similar it may really help sports, but will be far too expensive I'm sure for kids to use. Can't imagine replacing several helmets a game in football.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:01 pm 
OTP Historian

It(among other events) is showing that there is a very real need in sports to shift to independent doctors rather than team-paid. I know a lot of doctors will be strictly looking after the patients' best interests, but there is still a conflict when the doctor is getting paid by the team. The team interests and the health needs of the players do not always align. Teams should certainly be allowed to have doctors on the payroll, but their needs to be a voice independent of the teams and probably the league as well. This gets tougher when you enter the realm of unpaid athletes in the NCAA because the bill needs to be footed somehow. Then you get into the realm of health insurance coverage for athletes and the disparity between non-athletic students.