OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:40 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

You can't deflate pucks. Just another reason football sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:30 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Hell of a Super Bowl game....:a2m:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:51 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I got so many quizzical looks when I said I didn't watch the Super Bowl (even if I wanted to, I couldn't, ice buildup on the dish killed our signal), I had to explain that this was probably the worst possible matchup to watch if you were a Broncos fan. I only hate two teams more than the two that faced off--and if Oakland or Kansas City had been one of the AFC squads I would've at least been invested enough to root for whoever they were playing against. This matchup elicited pure, unadulterated, ambivalence. No matter what the outcome, I wouldn't be happy.

So it sounds like the two most interesting things to come out of this game for me at least were "Bad Left Shark" and the Nationwide little dead boy buzzkill.

And the sportswriters can continue to come out with hot take after hot take, there is no justification for it--when you have the best RB in the league, a guy who is pretty much automatic in the end zone, facing off against one of the worst goal line defenses in the league, you RUN THE FUCKING BALL. Carroll can say he wanted to run time off the clock. Doesn't matter. He fucked up, and he knows it. I take some perverse pleasure in knowing that no matter how many championships he wins from here on out, he will always be haunted by that decision. I don't particularly like Carroll, if you catch my drift. I at least have a begrudging respect for Belichick.

All in all, this was a disastrous season for the NFL in every way but the bottom line, which pretty much means they're happy with the results. All the ugliness the league has tried so hard to keep under wraps came out in some of the worst ways. I'm glad this year they at least somewhat downplayed their involvement with the free-for-all cash grab that masqueraded as a charity drive to help fight breast cancer. I'm pretty sure the NHL didn't do anything pink-related this year.

In short, this season more or less began with the league botching a blatant case of domestic abuse involving one of its star players, and ended with a brawl at the Super Bowl. Fitting, I suppose. The NFL is starting to become as irrelevant to me as the NBA currently is. Hopefully Goodell gets the hint sooner rather than later.

I guess Johnny Manziel is now in rehab and Warren Sapp got sacked (pun intended) by NFL Network for hiring a hooker, but whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:57 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Jet fuel melts Superbowls

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:46 am 
OTP Historian

Av must still be drunk if he hasn't posted since yesterday afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:44 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Av must still be drunk if he hasn't posted since yesterday afternoon.

Eh...don't get me wrong, I'm happy the Broncos made it, but I've been here before. The Broncos have been to the Super Bowl plenty of times, only twice was it not a humiliating, exasperating, frustrating defeat. I mean, it would've hurt if any of those other Super Bowls were at least close...they weren't. And the one two years ago somehow managed to be WORSE than the laugher suffered at the hands of the Montana/Rice 49ers in, I think, 1989.

I'm just not gonna get all psyched for this one. Glad as all hell the Broncos got a win, especially against the ol' Patriots (though I think the vitriol directed at Brady is a bit much sometimes) but I'm not about to get all hyped up, especially since the O-line once again proved they're below average and Kubiak didn't even trust the offense to get a first down to cinch it in the closing minutes.

I feel really bad for Gostowski. One of the best kickers of all time, and he misses a friggin' PAT. Not only that, but it's what ended up being the difference maker at the end.

All that said, Josh McDaniels can go fuck himself. Glad his vaunted offense failed when it mattered most.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:00 am 
Big in Japan

Broncos win.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:38 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Nice to see Manning get his ring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:59 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Captain Chaos wrote:

You realize he already had one, right?

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:38 pm 
OTP Historian

Take a bow, Onion.

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/super-b ... d-co-35146

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:45 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

scratchham wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:

Yes, but isn't this is his retirement ring. The wily vet will hang them up after this one. No?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:15 pm 
OTP Historian

Captain Chaos wrote:
scratchham wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:

Yes, but isn't this is his retirement ring. The wily vet will hang them up after this one. No?

I don't watch much football but I used to enjoy watching Manning. I was not aware of this until recently.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... andal.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:57 pm 

Yeah, I heard about that. Just goes to show you--don't ever put athletes up on a pedestal. You will always be disappointed. It just further proves the double standard between athletes like Manning and ones like Cam Newton. He does a "dab" dance in the end zone and people freak the fuck out. And people STILL gave Cam a bunch of shit after he gave a less-than-happy postgame interview and once again compared him to the paragon of class that people say Peyton is.

I've heard some stories about John Elway being a pretty bad human being. And he was my #1 sports hero growing up, even bigger than Ray in my eyes. Despite that, I still root for the Broncos, I just temper my enthusiasm a bit, knowing that some of these guys have some pretty big skeletons in their closets, and pretty much all professional athletic associations (NCAA included) are corrupt as all get out. The only time I have found myself completely unable to root for a pro athlete is in the cases of Jameis Winston and Patrick Kane. They finally crossed a line I simply can't ignore. Even typing that makes me feel like such a hypocrite since I am kinda ignoring some pretty heinous behavior by athletes. And I'm still not sure what in hell to do with Semyon Varlamov.

I'm finding myself in a weird place. I'm happy my team won the Super Bowl, but I'm not jumping out of my seat with elation. More relieved than anything else. And also kinda bummed that Cam and the Panthers lost, because Newton was without any doubt the NFL's best player this year.

All that said, man, Von Miller...damn, what a player.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:52 pm 
OTP Clown

Rad game.

Congrats Tommy.

And...

In case you missed this one in the social medias:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-tbOxlhvE

Time for the washington professional football team to change the fucking mascot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:25 pm 

Well, really, it was kind of a shitty game all things considered. :lol: Broncos offense was something like 1-for-12 on 3rd down. Absolutely abominable performance. But...that didn't matter because the league's best defense was absolutely dominant. Story of the year for the Broncos. Defense saves the day and the offense just kinda limited their own mistakes. It was nice seeing the Denver D absolutely lay waste to the two best QBs in the league this year in back-to-back games. But if I hadn't been a fan of either team I'd have probably found Puppy Bowl more entertaining.

It is pretty funny, especially given how much more pageantry the NFL put into this 50th Super Bowl, just how awful a vast majority of these games have been. They usually range between laughers and snoozers. I think that's largely because they mess things up by having two weeks instead of one between the NFC/AFC title games and the Big One. The NFL tried it the right way only once, and wouldn't ya know it, 9/11 happened, the season got delayed and the NFL had a gigantic mess on their hands, which means, I'm guessing, they won't ever try it again. They put the Pro Bowl (i.e., the worst, laziest and most unwatchable of the four major "All-Star games") in there instead. What can ya do?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:50 pm 

Man, this is some seriously shady bullshit. I mean...really!?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/la- ... li=BBnb7Kz

This gives me even more trepidation given the fact that Kroenke still owns the Avs and Nuggets.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:21 am 

Hah...the location may change (well not yet, but likely soon) but the Chargers remain the same.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cha ... li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:00 am 
Big in Japan

New season is upon us. Meh.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:53 am 
OTP Historian

More guys retiring younger it seems. Definitely easier for the more successful guys to do it than the borderline guys who might be playing through injuries to keep their paycheques.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:27 pm 

Bosc wrote:
More guys retiring younger it seems. Definitely easier for the more successful guys to do it than the borderline guys who might be playing through injuries to keep their paycheques.

I think raised awareness about concussions is playing a part there.

Average career of an NFL player is 2.5 years, at least it was 20 years ago. I don't think it's changed though.