OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:03 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

This is the third time London has hosted, and the first time in the age of cynicism. A lot of Londoners don't want the Games.

Ah, screw all of them. It's the world's city now.

How many positive drug tests for athletes in sports that don't pay? Who will be our new national heroes in events like eventing, trampouline, the laser radial, or the modern pentathlon, a sport that is neither modern nor a pentathlon?

I must say, I'm kind of mad at the whole idea that you need an Olympic Committee in your country to represent it. This whole South Sudanese marathoner and the 3 Netherlands Antillies athletes not getting to carry their flags around is ridiculous. I got the CIS thing way back in 1992, but there seems to be little reason for these situations.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:50 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Not really into watching these this go round... Probably wait for a significant gold medal event to try and catch the spirit. :|

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:05 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Captain Chaos wrote:
Not really into watching these this go round... Probably wait for a significant gold medal event to try and catch the spirit. :|

I'm in the same boat, I haven't watched any or really in the mood to watch. Like you Chaos, I may watch if there are significant gold medal events.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:13 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Haven't really been into the summer games for a while now. I might catch some of the highlights later though. I heard the opening ceremonies were designed by Danny Boyle and as such were waaaaaaay crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:37 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Girls gone wild

Hmmmmm things getting interesting in Women's Soccer. May have to pay attention now. :mulletbutch:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:20 pm 
King of Men

Handball and Fencing have been good. Just watched some Judo this morning with Russian Mansur Isaev winning a hard fought match and then mounting his opponent and raising his hands after the match..... :hrm: I did enjoy watching Lochte get smoked last night.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:19 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

I like the Olympics, great to watch with kids. I think it is especially great for girls to see so many women excelling at sports. I'm hoping to use these Olympics to turn my 5 year old daughter into a jock, but got back from walking my dog this morning to find her lounging in our bed with a catalog wanting to show me some shoes she wants. :doh:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:45 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

hammer wrote:
I like the Olympics, great to watch with kids. I think it is especially great for girls to see so many women excelling at sports. I'm hoping to use these Olympics to turn my 5 year old daughter into a jock, but got back from walking my dog this morning to find her lounging in our bed with a catalog wanting to show me some shoes she wants. :doh:

My daughter is nuts for shoes, purses, bracelets and ballet, and she's not even 2 years old. None of this was actively encouraged (although my wife is rather excited that she's taken to ballet). Nature will pretty much always beat nurture. [She does get kind of excited about sports on TV, though -- they are all "hockey". And whales are also "hockey" to her, for obvious daddy-related reasons].

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:28 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Jyrki21 wrote:
hammer wrote:

My daughter is nuts for shoes, purses, bracelets and ballet, and she's not even 2 years old. None of this was actively encouraged (although my wife is rather excited that she's taken to ballet). Nature will pretty much always beat nurture. [She does get kind of excited about sports on TV, though -- they are all "hockey". And whales are also "hockey" to her, for obvious daddy-related reasons].

Will be watching events particularly in the 50M pool. My 9- and 11-year-old sons recently competed in the Illinois Age Group Championships last weekend so these are particularly relevant. I've been very impressed with the Lithuanian breaststroker who came out of nowhere to swim a 1:05.47 to win the women's 100M breaststroke... As a comparison, my 11 y.o. turned in a 1:17.47 last weekend, which so far is the third fastest time among 11-year-olds in the country... And he's only about four seconds away from setting a new state record for 11/12 year olds... :rock:

Attachments:
JF 100M breast.jpg
JF 100M breast.jpg [ 75.37 KiB | Viewed 5944 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:55 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Jyrki21 wrote:
hammer wrote:

Haha my daughter called all TV sports hockey until she was 3 or so!

Despite her fashion obsession I'm still optimistic she can be a jock, she is a great swimmer and worked hard at it in swim class. She started soccer camp today I'm really hoping she enjoyed it. She is also very physical, loves to wrestle and playfight. She is digging the olympics on TV so far, likes the swimming and very fired up about the gymnastics. She goes to baseball games with me all the time and I told her about the new hockey team in town (new franchise ECHL San Francisco Bulls) and she wants to go to games. So there is hope yet!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:49 pm 
King of Men

on a side note the control that NBC is trying to exhibit over their content makes me ill.

Tunnel Bear, cyberghostvpn, something should get you by NBC's attempt at iron fisting US consumers into a cable subscription.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 pm 

I heard the Today Show interviewed a gold medal winner and promoted it as such hours before NBC broadcast the event in which she won it. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:02 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I've heard though that despite the obvious "tape" delayed broadcast, NBC's Olympiad coverage is off-the-charts. Sheeple like us still like our heroes shown edited and in prime time.

My guess is, for real fanatics, they are getting their fixes streamed live. This does not bode well for the Winter Olympics in Socchi (sp?).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:24 pm 
He of the red stockings

caught the last two sets of "beach" volleyball today at lunch, US vs. Spain

Elsa Baquerizo - :quag:

oh, and the US staved off multiple Match points to squeak out the win

I must admit to rooting for Spain to tie it up, just so I could keep watching Elsa :laugh:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:31 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Events for future Olympic consideration:

Surfing
Squash
Lacrosse
Ultimate Frisbee

Also, a new event to determine the world's ultimate ahtlete:

The Random Pentathlon

Competitors spin a wheel containing each Olympic discipline that can be competed in individually to determine their next event. Points are rewarded for both placement/score/time as well as difficulty of combination. I mean, if you have a marathon thrown in there or a triathlon (or both!) vs. someone who has like long jump and like the 50m backstroke or something.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:24 am 

The caber toss should absolutely be an Olympic event...and yes, they damn well better require all participants to wear a kilt, regardless of national origin.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:36 am 

More women's volleyball type events where bikini shorts are required uniform.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:10 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

i find the summer Olympics boring and repetitive, never been a fan of athletics, and i was in Track n Field in High school. we were discussing better sports last night..best idea. Water skiing and shooting..sorta like the biathalon....you get pulled on a boat and have to shoot targets in the water at the same time! be freaking amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:59 pm 

Went out for frozen yogurt with the in-laws and caught some track and field stuff, just in time to watch Bolt grab gold. Unreal how good that guy is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:27 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Av-merican wrote:
Went out for frozen yogurt with the in-laws and caught some track and field stuff, just in time to watch Bolt grab gold. Unreal how good that guy is.

One of the better infographics I've seen in a while: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012 ... er.html?hp