OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Russia 2018, Qatar 2022
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

FIFA says screw you, West. England, Spain/Portugal, and Belgium/Netherlands lose the 2018 bids, while the USA and Australia lose the 2022 ones.

Canada should go for 2026. They clearly want to go to new places where they can grow the game. That being said, that means China or India will be happening at some point.

Qatar is currently quite bad... ranked like 130th or something. Canada's way better than them, so good news for Canada for making a case to host.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:21 pm 

I'll be ridiculously old before I ever get to a World Cup. Might have to plan for Rio in a couple of years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:36 pm 
Big in Japan

Qatar pounder with cheese
Qatarpillar
Omar Qhatr
Qatar Hero
Robert Q'Tar
Colonel Qatafi
Qat fastball
I Can't Believe it's not Qutter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:22 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:09 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

I'm trying to figure out if Russia will be a greater or lesser security headache than South Africa. Probably greater, hunh?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:19 pm 

There was a good Tweet about this combo that someone I follow posted... "So what if you can't drink in Qatar, we'll all still be hung over from Russia."

I honestly don't think that FIFA gives a damn about security. Qatar will probably be invaded/overthrown by the time 2022 rolls around.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:29 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

stupid. Russian can't even handle the Olympics coming up in 2014, the World cup is a much great investment 4 years later.

Qatar? they are ranked 130th thats like Zimbabwe holding a Wold Cup of Hockey Tourney.

i get the whole expanding the game stuff, but dude you already run the largest sporting event in the world, how much bigger can it get! Bringing the games to countries with Securities risks isn't the smartest thing in the world.

I would have liked to see more stable new nations, IE China, India make a bid for it.

btw, Canada will not hold the World Cup this century unless all of a sudden the CSA smartens their ass up somehow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:05 pm 

MrBumpNgrind wrote:
btw, Canada will not hold the World Cup this century unless all of a sudden the CSA smartens their ass up somehow

I don't see that as a hindrance. Witness: Russia, Qatar. :lol:

Actually, it probably means Venezuela will win in '26 if this is something to go on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:01 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

saskhab wrote:
MrBumpNgrind wrote:

Actually, it probably means Venezuela will win in '26 if this is something to go on.

sorry i should have worded that differently. i meant was they can't even get a decent national soccer team together, imagine what the bid would look like?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:39 am 

MrBumpNgrind wrote:
saskhab wrote:
MrBumpNgrind wrote:

sorry i should have worded that differently. i meant was they can't even get a decent national soccer team together, imagine what the bid would look like?

Just send in Alan Thicke and Wayne Gretzky just like we always do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:19 am 
Big in Japan

saskhab wrote:
MrBumpNgrind wrote:
saskhab wrote:
MrBumpNgrind wrote:

Just send in Alan Thicke and Wayne Gretzky just like we always do.

This conversation is so Qatafkaesque.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:21 am 
Loves The Cock

CSA are boneheads, their latest player development model might look good in a professor's office but no way in hell it translates on field... they really are clowns...

Qatar was the obvious choice, they have the most important of the criteria down pat - money...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:51 am 

razzmatazz wrote:
CSA are boneheads, their latest player development model might look good in a professor's office but no way in hell it translates on field... they really are clowns...

Qatar was the obvious choice, they have the most important of the criteria down pat - money...

Right, because the USA is poor and has never bribed anyone.

FIFA seems to want to go to different places and make developing countries spend massive amounts of dollars on stadiums while their working class remains impoverished.

Sorry if this got a bit political in here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:33 am 
Loves The Cock

The USA has had it recently... Qatar, not so much...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:44 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

razzmatazz wrote:

Ok this time it's my turn to agree with Razz, that was my first thought, but admittedly I'm bitter. and it's not just money it's money AND the mentality that the way to get the games is by using that money. It gets to like 50 C there even if the stadium is air conditioned from a fan perspective, who the hell wants to go there, even ignoring the fact that you can't drink?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:48 pm 

CanuckinOz wrote:
razzmatazz wrote:

Ok this time it's my turn to agree with Razz, that was my first thought, but admittedly I'm bitter. and it's not just money it's money AND the mentality that the way to get the games is by using that money. It gets to like 50 C there even if the stadium is air conditioned from a fan perspective, who the hell wants to go there, even ignoring the fact that you can't drink?

Also, it means that teams will only be able to practice very early in the morning and late in the evening... I doubt they are creating air conditioned practice facilities.

Not to mention what will happen if Israel makes it. Though I suppose there have been other controversial teams that have made it in the past.

And yeah, Australia was up for it in 2022 as well, and they've never had it, either. It wasn't just USA vs. Qatar.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:59 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

I wonder what kind of crowds they will have. Probably quite different than other countries - especially with the lower tolerance of drunkenness and public rowdiness that I assume Qatar has.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:21 am 
Loves The Cock

CanuckinOz wrote:
razzmatazz wrote:

as long as the Russian mafia gets there well in advance with whores in tow I will consider it...

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:53 pm 

CanuckinOz wrote:
razzmatazz wrote:

And Razz was completely right. FIFA needs someone to give it a a shakeup like Dick Pound did for the IOC.

1. FIFA corruption - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm-q75Z1NUs

2. Euro cup and nationally accepted racism in host countries Poland and Ukraine (Part 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXY4oa5cNAg I found this one really disturbing, had no idea that white supremacists where so readily tolerated anywhere in the world. Hopefully the Euro cup gets past this but what were they thinking awarding the cup here? (Part 2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxmU29KJo_E&feature=relmfu

low lights: Chants of "Death to Jewish whores"; Nazi "Seig Heil" salutes by fans; monkey chants directed at African players; 11:47 of part 2 fans beating on other fans of their same team because they're Asian, where the fuck are the police? All of it just so saddening.

3. Italian Prime Minister suggestions suspending soccer for 2 or 3 years due to widespread corruption and match fixing

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/30/sports/soccer/30iht-soccer30.html

Was listening to an author who had been investigating how rife with corruption football is and he mentioned one game where the Italian club needed to beat a Croatian team by 7 goals to advance. Final score 7-0 and the Italian home fans started jeering as they knew the fix was in. When fans no longer believe in outcomes the sport is in serious trouble. Hopefully the Swiss follow through with their investigations and do something about FIFA and that starts the purge elsewhere.