OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:07 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

This is really huge news in the world of Futbol. I personally did not expect this to happen so quickly. The President of FIFA, Sepp Blatter, who last week was re-elected to a 5th term, stepped down today. An election to replace him will be held sometime in December. Apparently the FBI and the U.S. Justice Department have been holding their cards close to the vest. While it has been no secret that Blatter was suspected of wide spread corruption and bribery, I am personally shocked to see the Blatter, FIFA, empire crumble so quickly. This puts into question whether or not the 2018 Russia World Cup or the 2022 Qatar World Cup will be re-bid I suspect that both will be held as awarded although I think the Qatar bid is in the most danger of being overturned and re-awarded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32982449

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:57 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I really can't help but wonder (and wouldn't be the LEAST bit surprised) if John Oliver's screed was what prompted the US DOJ to investigate.

Sadly, the biggest reason the DOJ has gone after FIFA while leaving other major sports organizations largely alone? American ambivalence toward soccer.

And yes, I'm calling it SOCCER. :clint:

I still can't believe that one FIFA official actually cited an Onion article as part of his defense. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kinda shocked Blatter stepped down today, dude was re-elected overwhelmingly. I was expecting a defiant fight until the end.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:33 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
I really can't help but wonder (and wouldn't be the LEAST bit surprised) if John Oliver's screed was what prompted the US DOJ to investigate.

Wait, what? Didn't this Oliver thing happen in the past week or so? The DOJ has been running this for years.

Av-merican wrote:
Sadly, the biggest reason the DOJ has gone after FIFA while leaving other major sports organizations largely alone? American ambivalence toward soccer.

And yes, I'm calling it SOCCER. :clint:

I still can't believe that one FIFA official actually cited an Onion article as part of his defense. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kinda shocked Blatter stepped down today, dude was re-elected overwhelmingly. I was expecting a defiant fight until the end.

The Onion thing is amazing :lol:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... p-blatter/

Sounds a lot like Russ Conway and Alan Eagleson.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:36 pm 

I guess we have this guy to thank.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... p-blatter/

As for Oliver, he had something about a year ago right around the time of the World Cup.

His update right before Blatter's downfall is equally hilarious.

Cannot WAIT for his follow-up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:06 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:

That's exactly what I just posted above ;)

This was in motion long before Oliver's thing last year:

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-fifa ... piracy-and

Quote:
The Convicted Individuals and Corporations

The following individuals and corporations previously pleaded guilty under seal:

On July 15, 2013, the defendant Daryll Warner, son of defendant Jack Warner and a former FIFA development officer, waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a two-count information charging him with wire fraud and the structuring of financial transactions.

On Oct. 25, 2013, the defendant Daryan Warner waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a three-count information charging him with wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and the structuring of financial transactions. Daryan Warner forfeited over $1.1 million around the time of his plea and has agreed to pay a second forfeiture money judgment at the time of sentencing.

On Nov. 25, 2013, the defendant Charles Blazer, the former CONCACAF general secretary and a former FIFA executive committee member, waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a 10-count information charging him with racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy, income tax evasion and failure to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR). Blazer forfeited over $1.9 million at the time of his plea and has agreed to pay a second amount to be determined at the time of sentencing.

I haven't paid attention to John Oliver. Didn't realize that he was the dude from Community. Worth watching?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:13 am 

Bosc wrote:

I haven't paid attention to John Oliver. Didn't realize that he was the dude from Community. Worth watching?

if you know him from Community and not the Daily show than you won't find his show worth watching

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:09 pm 

You should still try watching some of his stuff on YouTube. His long-form rants on Last Week Tonight are, IMHO, superior to Stewart and Colbert. On top of being funny, you actually get the feeling that he's actually getting through to people.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:48 pm 

With Sepp Blatter's downfall, John Oliver celebrates.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/john- ... socialflow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:07 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

We have the Woman's World FIFA here in Vancouver - I want to go see a game or two but I can't find one that's on when I'm not otherwise committed. :doom:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:40 pm 
OTP Historian

Quote:
Dan Roan ‏@danroan 34m34 minutes ago
Fifa sponsor Coca Cola has told crisis-hit body it wants an independent commission to oversee governance reform & human rights requirements

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:13 am 
Big in Japan

Montreal Impact got Didier Drogba. I hear he's good, or used to be, at least.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:09 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

The English Premier League starts today. I find myself quite excited about it all again. I am hoping Liverpool FC have a better season than last season's stinker. £80 million in summer transfers and signings will hopefully produce a better result than last season's 6th place finish last season. It will be the first season we are without our talismanic Captain, Steven Gerrard. I am hoping for 4th place, a UEFA Champions League place, either through winning out in the UEFA Europa League or by finishing 4th or better in the EPL. A domestic Cup, FA or League, would be very nice as well. YNWA.