OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OFFICIAL M.L.S. THREAD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:04 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

When rumors surfaced of Ottawa being in the running for an MLS expansion team, I laughed it off. The city can't hang on to a CFL team, there is little corporate support and, oh, it doesn't have a functional stadium.

But I heard a radio report yesterday saying that if Eugene Melnyk can get the approval on his soccer-specific-stadium plan (which would be, ugh, in Kanata next to Scotiabank Place), that this thing is likely to go ahead.

MLS in Ottawa?

It would be fun, and nice to have another attraction in sleepy Ottawa, but there are two reasons I'm actually somewhat cool to the idea (in addition to being extremely cool to the idea of Kanata when there is so little in town). (1) I don't want this to hurt the chances of the Vancouver Whitecaps getting into MLS quickly; (2) the city is apparently saying it will contribute to funding for only one of the CFL or MLS (or neither), but not both... and I would probably lean toward the CFL for my own entertainment preferences. Particularly as their half-destroyed stadium is in the Glebe (an Ottawa neighborhood), not 469 miles away in what the city pretends is still within city limits.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:36 pm 

Yay!

The Vancouver Whitecaps are expected to hold a news conference Wednesday when they will announce they have won a bid to begin play in Major League Soccer in 2011.

The Vancouver bid group — including owner Greg Kerfoot, NBA star Steve Nash, former Yahoo! Inc. president Jeff Mallett and former Seagate Technology CEO Steve Luczo — is one of four groups bidding for two MLS expansion franchises.

Seven groups entered the bidding process last year but bids from Montreal, Atlanta and Miami were withdrawn because of economic issues and problems with the $40-million-US franchise fee demanded by the league.

Vancouver, Portland, St. Louis and Ottawa remain in the running for the two new MLS franchises.

Still can't believe Ottawa is in the running too...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:45 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Um...go Rapids. :effort:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:48 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

yah stoked! i will be on the list for seasons! woot!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:46 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Looks like Vancouver gets their team for the 2011 season.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=2716 ... lines_main

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:33 pm 
Working for the Weekend

is this the sport where they put up drywall and then proceed to paint it with various colours and then the fans pay money to sit and watch the drying out process?

just kidding!!! soccer isnt boring... its just gay!

just kidding!!! its not gay ... its just for tards!

just kidding!!!

its great news whether you care or dont its great for the city overall, hopefully they get their downtown stadium.. if its ok with the heroin addicts that is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:15 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

So Seattle is getting a team next year, Vancouver in 2011... I wonder if that means Portland is screwed for the other bid. Could be a huge West Coast expansion... but I suspect St. Louis will get the other team.

Weren't the Whitecaps moving into the renovated BC Place anyways? I suspect that takes care of the stadium issue.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:13 pm 

cannots luvah wrote:
is this the sport where they put up drywall and then proceed to paint it with various colours and then the fans pay money to sit and watch the drying out process?

No that sport is called Curling. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:18 pm 

saskblade/hawk wrote:
Could be a huge West Coast expansion... but I suspect St. Louis will get the other team.

I have to say, I find some of the MLS sites (and prospective sites) just baffling. Is there really that much interest in pro soccer in St. Louis? (Or Ottawa for that matter!) The current developmental team in St. Louis plays in a 1,000-seat park. Do the Columbus Crew or the Kansas City Wizards get good attendance? I expect a certain level of interest in giant, or more cosmopolitan cities with lots of immigrants from soccer countries, but I find some of the heartland sites a little weird, I gotta say.

saskblade/hawk wrote:
Weren't the Whitecaps moving into the renovated BC Place anyways? I suspect that takes care of the stadium issue.

It's seen as a temporary solution -- I think the renovation is as much for the Lions as anything. Kerfoot still wants his waterfront stadium, and so do most Vancouver soccer fans.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:27 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

us 679 part trois wrote:
cannots luvah wrote:

No that sport is called Curling. :D

How were you ever allowed to set foot in Saskatchewan?

Jyrki21 wrote:
I have to say, I find some of the MLS sites (and prospective sites) just baffling. Is there really that much interest in pro soccer in St. Louis? (Or Ottawa for that matter!) The current developmental team in St. Louis plays in a 1,000-seat park. Do the Columbus Crew or the Kansas City Wizards get good attendance? I expect a certain level of interest in giant, or more cosmopolitan cities with lots of immigrants from soccer countries, but I find some of the heartland sites a little weird, I gotta say.

Yeah, it's a weird league in that respect, but the Philly expansion team sounds awesome (apparently they're already the loudest, most vulgar fans in the league even before they were awarded a franchise; and would show up at other league games and taunt both team's fans ruthlessly). But I have to ask, is Portland really that cosmopolitan? I always thought it was pretty white.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:39 pm 

saskblade/hawk wrote:
How were you ever allowed to set foot in Saskatchewan?

I've been to the Brier on 2 occations and a few years ago when it was in Regina.

The Briar patch is a blast!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:44 pm 

saskblade/hawk wrote:
Yeah, it's a weird league in that respect, but the Philly expansion team sounds awesome (apparently they're already the loudest, most vulgar fans in the league even before they were awarded a franchise; and would show up at other league games and taunt both team's fans ruthlessly). But I have to ask, is Portland really that cosmopolitan? I always thought it was pretty white.

I don't know what sort of immigration Portland gets, but culturally it's very much in the Cascadian mold ("foreign cultures are all better than ours", "stuff Southerners like is bad and stuff they dislike is good," etc. -- See also the "pretending to like soccer" entry on the blog "Stuff White People Like"), and people definitely wouldn't blow off soccer as a "European pansy game" as they do in most of the heartland.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:27 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Jyrki21 wrote:
saskblade/hawk wrote:

I don't know what sort of immigration Portland gets, but culturally it's very much in the Cascadian mold ("foreign cultures are all better than ours", "stuff Southerners like is bad and stuff they dislike is good," etc. -- See also the "pretending to like soccer" entry on the blog "Stuff White People Like"), and people definitely wouldn't blow off soccer as a "European pansy game" as they do in most of the heartland.

I've heard intolerance in general is pretty big in Portland. They do have good microbrews so that kind of evens out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:50 pm 
Loves The Cock

interesting, i coached bruce constantineau's kid a number of years ago... helluva goalie...

people in this town are major-league snobbish. if it isnt the top league, they think its crap. if people think this is top shelf, they'll come, but if they think the premiership or other european leagues are better, they'll stay away...

its too bad people dont realize the best bargain in town, by far, remains heading out to the nat with the family on a sunday afternoon...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:21 pm 

baseball sux. i dont care how nice the stadium is. but i agree with the snobs. if the caps can get the snobby setanta viewers plus the hardcore usl fans, they will do alright

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:05 pm 

razzmatazz wrote:
people in this town are major-league snobbish. if it isnt the top league, they think its crap. if people think this is top shelf, they'll come, but if they think the premiership or other european leagues are better, they'll stay away...

That's hardly a Vancouver thing, that's pretty much anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:34 am 
Loves The Cock

there are a lot of big cities in the us that support aaa baseball, even though its not the top level..

and bumpy, i'd much rather watch a game out at the nat than the caps play 90 minutes and end up "nil-nil", yet again...

what a fucking snoozefest...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:22 am 

Steve Nash discusses the team in a brief interview:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/socc ... story.html

One excerpt:

Ian Walker wrote:
Q: You've seen a few MLS games and even practised with the New York Red Bulls. What can soccer fans expect to see in 2011?

Steve Nash wrote:
A: I'm being very forthright; it's not a Champions League, it's not European First Division soccer, but it is growing and developing and is soccer at its highest possible level

Alright!

Steve Nash wrote:
on the continent.

D'Oh!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:36 pm 

razzmatazz wrote:
there are a lot of big cities in the us that support aaa baseball, even though its not the top level..

and bumpy, i'd much rather watch a game out at the nat than the caps play 90 minutes and end up "nil-nil", yet again...

what a fucking snoozefest...

better then 9 innings of snoozefest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:25 pm 
Working for the Weekend

does anybody in vancouver know that the MLS season started last night? lol I didnt even know until they just announced Seattle's first game!

and Portland got the second franchise. The Northwest is well represented.