OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: OFFICIAL MLB 2009 THREAD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:15 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Time to start fresh--opening day is coming soon. And I can't bear any longer to watch the Avs or stomach the Broncos soap opera.

Predictions, E.L.?

I am already predicting Clint Hurdle won't make it through the season. It's the final year of his contract and O'Dowd was busy this offseason filling out the asst. coaching roles with some fallback options like Jim Tracy. I'm actually thrilled the team brought back a couple guys who never should have been removed in the first place, Jim Wright and Don Baylor.

Yeah, fuck you Larry Walker. :chef:

I'm still pissed about the whole Holliday situation...but if Street becomes even a halfway reliable closer and Tulowitzki regains his form then it won't hurt quite as bad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:45 pm 
Big in Japan

Story of your life Av, you've blown your load too quickly. Season doesn't start till Sunday.

I'm planning on posting my predictions this weekend, but I was reading ESPN and SI slobbering all over the Sox/Yanks/Mets, as per usual. All I'll tell you is the Jays blow big time. J.P. is a failure and needs to go.

The Rockies look pretty lousy on paper. Not sure that will change once they get on the field.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:50 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

is the season over yet?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:12 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Given the Isles season I was looking forward to the Yankees season. A-roid & the George Mahal have taken so much attention I am already sick of it. Not to mention Tax-Payer Field across the river. Screw baseball.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:10 pm 
Queen of the Random Thought

See all that stuff doesn't bother me. I love baseball (more than hockey *gasp!*)and I can't wait for Monday!

(Edit: Not a lot more)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Last year I picked the Dodgers to win the Series, even though I hate them, and I'm going to pick them again, because I'm crazy. If the Marlins add a Carlos Lee type bat near the deadline, which I think they will, I can see them vaulting to the top.

NL: Mets, Cardinals, Dodgers, Marlins
NL Champ: Dodgers
MVP: Albert Pujols
CY: Josh Johnson
ROY: David Freese
Comeback Player: Chris Carpenter
Breakout Player: Pablo Sandoval
LVP: Milton Bradley
Most disappointing team: Cubs
Last Place: Padres

AL: Red Sox, Twins, Rangers, Rays
AL Champ: Twins
MVP: Jason Bay
CY: Francisco Liriano
ROY: Rich Porcello
Comeback Player: Joe Crede/Kenji Johjima
Breakout Player: Alex Gordon
LVP: David Ortiz
Most disappointing team: Angels
Last Place: Mariners

WS: Dodgers beat Twins

I'm contradicting myself a bit here. I think the Marlins, Cardinals and Twins' pitching staffs are too good to ignore, but I think the pitching weak Dodgers and Rangers will slug their ways into the playoffs. The Angels look surprisingly weak - the rotation is injury-riddled and they still don't have a cleanup guy. I think Big Papi's body is too broken down for him to be a major factor, but Bay will have a career year as the main component of the Sox' potent lineup.

The Cubs remind me of the Angels - they have a recent playoff pedigree but they've been subtracting parts instead of improving. They don't have a real closer, and Derrek Lee is a shell of his former self. Bradley will be lucky to play 90 games, and Fukudome was benched in the WBC, so his struggles haven't gone away. Without A-Rod, the Yankees won't be able to roll with the more balanced Rays and Sox. The Jays will finish behind the O's - I say J.P.'s boys close in on 100 losses.

Ryan Ludwick and Rick Ankiel are pretty lousy protection for Pujols, but Freese and Rasmus look like good bets. The Cards always manage to hang around thanks to Albert and good defence, and I see that being enough in the Central. Carpenter looks like his old self.

The Dodgers seemed pretty complete last season, and adding Manny should only make them better. I don't see him being that detrimental a guy in the clubhouse, remember they had Jeff Kent in the twilight of his career. Russell Martin is one of the best players in the game, and hopefully Torre will rest him more by giving him starts at 3B. Don't be fooled by the D'Backs, they could set an all-time record for strikeouts this season. I also think the White Sox, Royals, A's, Reds, Orioles and Braves will be better than people think. Even the Pirates should stay out of the NL Central cellar this season.

The Phillies are bound to suffer from WS hangover. The Mariners could lose 110 games this season. The Jays might lose 100 if the Yanks contend. The Nats, Padres, Rockies and Astros are pretty terrible. The Indians, D'Backs, Brewers and Tigers aren't as good as people think. I think the Giants will be competitive, but will be out of contention before September - the bullpen is still weak and they won't hit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:30 pm 

The CURSE OF THE ROCKIES ACE continues.

Rox do something today they rarely do--chase Brandon Webb, but lose the lead because Aaron Cook promptly shits the mound and gets yanked after three innings. Nonetheless, even without Holliday, Colorado has a potent lineup. Still not sure where everyone fits, like Stewart and Smith, but I like it.

GET RUSCH OFF THE MOUND YOU FUCKS!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:41 pm 
He of the red stockings

Today is the biggest call-in-sick day of the year, for those who didn't just
take a vacation day
And opening day in Fenway is rained out ... I really have no sympathy
Watch the forecast before you bang in sick ... 100% chance of rain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:52 pm 
OTP Historian

Talk about your all time unfortunate names...

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_sta ... statType=1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:05 am 

You can bet the Red Sox won't sign that kid, related or not.

First game come and gone, saw it on MLB Gameday online...and FUCK YOU MLB for charging for it starting this month. :jerkbag:

Good news, the loss of Holliday (at least in one game) didn't seem to affect the offense at all. At least for one game. Colorado went hard after Brandon Webb and knocked him out early, which is great since the dude seemingly owned 'em in seasons past. We have a real hitting instructor for the first time in franchise history and there's plenty of depth which should make for a versatile lineup. Helton appears to be healthy--so long as Hurdle limits his action (Baker, Stewart, and Atkins can all play first) he should be effective.

Bad news, Aaron Cook was HORRIBLE. Three innings and out, blowing a two-run lead in the process. The bullpen was equally shitty. I can't help but think Colorado would have been more successful had they been more aggressive and gotten more strikeouts...Lord knows the D-Backs would have obliged, even with their two wildest swingers (Reynolds, Upton) out of the lineup. Rox pitchers are taught to stay on the edges, get ground balls and let the defense do the rest. I could be reaching here, but still...

Oh well, only one game. I have a feeling though that this, the most frustrating team in Denver currently, will continue to torment me this summer.

In other news, what in hell has happened to the Tigers? I thought they had a pretty solid young lineup, now the pundits are saying they're firmly back in the suck and Leyland could lose his job. A thorough THUMPING at the hands of the Black Jays to open the season doesn't help matters. What gives?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:31 pm 
He of the red stockings

Jose Canseco says he's "90% sure Manny Ramirez is on the List"
Mind you, he's not saying he has knowledge of steroid use, or has heard any rumors
He's just speculating since no one offered him a long term contract, it must be that
:chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:
Yeah, or how about every GM knows if Manny doesn't have a long cozy deal,
he's far less likely to loaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:03 am 

Nice...Ubaldo outpitches Dan Haren, Huston Street with his first save as a Rockie. Tulo with his 2nd homer in as many games.

Franklin Morales tonight. Like Ubaldo, he's got more than enough heat, but can he display control?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:14 am 
King of the One-Liner

Jays are now on pace for a 162-0 season!

But I figure they're bound to lose a dozen or so at least.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:12 pm 
Apologist for [insert Flyer here]

Some photos of the Phillies new bling:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:27 pm 

I guess someone finally had enough in the 7th, I was checking scores and the Phils exploded in the 7th to rally past the Braves.

Rox get another win against the D-Balks...dear Lord for all that young talent those kids simply do NOT know how to field. Errors all around lead to a couple Rockies runs. Keep it up Arizona!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:11 pm 
Big in Japan

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=274401

Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart killed in a hit-and-run only hours after his fourth career start.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:55 pm 

Jeez...a hit and run!? That's terrible. :(

Not to be insensitive, but right now Riccardi's gotta be feeling vindicated...and a bit relieved.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=274416

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Scott Boras (Adenhart's agent) was bawling during the press conference. I'm sure it's legit but I can't help but feel there's nothing but black ooze coursing through his veins.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:11 pm 
Neck?

Un-believeable, kid finally gets his chance and this happens. He looked like he had all the talent to be the furture of the Angels rotation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:00 pm 
OTP Historian

Awful news for a kid just starting to live his dream :(

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next