OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:36 am 
He of the red stockings

I wouldn't say we turned a blind eye to it, rather we assumed the league tested for it
It was certainly joked about, with the "steroids" chant whenever Canseco came to bat
Of course Jose was a unique case, the roid user who acted like a roid user & and told everyone he was doing it
The ability of the rest of the athletes doing it, and not talking, is a little amazing
Anyone who's been around a roid user knows it's the one thing they can't help but talk about

Mcwire's 'confession" was pretty lame ... I did it, but it wasn't my fault
And they didn't help my performance at all, I did it to heal an injury
Really? For 10 fucking admitted years? Hell of an injury

I do see the value of steroids helping people overcome devastating muscular injuries ... not that it's right or legal
(well, it actually is legal when prescribed by a physician)
When they continue to do them over an extended period, then it's obviously for performance enhancement
McGwire saying steroids doesn't help his performance, is beyond laughable ...
to quote Pink Floyd, "Your nearly a laugh, but you're really a cry"
McGwire said "steroids doesn't help you hit the ball", and he is absolutely correct, as evidenced by his last seasons
In his last seasons he had more homers than singles! His batting average was what, like .190? With 35-40 homers?
Yes Mark, steroids don't help you hit the ball, they just make the ball go really fucking far when you do make contact!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:57 pm 
Big in Japan

SABEAN YOU ARE A STUPID FAT MORON. WHY SPEND CRAZY MONEY ON DRAFT SIGNING BONUSES ONLY TO KEEP THE YOUNG GUYS IN AAA? FUCK YOU AND FUCK MELONHEAD.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:11 pm 
Big in Japan

So I've had a chance to reflect on this, and while Molina 152nd ranked OBP and league worst baserunning makes his 20 homers and 80 ribbers about as hollow as a 30-goal season from Michael Ryder, at least its a one-year deal and Posey gets to start the season in AAA. I still think the Giants should do the Longoria/Braun thing and call him up in mid-May. Kid's ready, regardless of what Sabes and Melonhead think.

Lineup isn't horrible, but hardly formidable:

CF Rowand
2B Sanchez
3B Panda
1B Huff
LF DeRosa
RF Schierholtz
C Molina
SS Renteria

Also, it looks as if Lincecum will set a record 13M in arbitration. At least it means Sabean can't throw down 13M on a Gary Matthews-type.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:12 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
So I've had a chance to reflect on this, and while Molina 152nd ranked OBP and league worst baserunning makes his 20 homers and 80 ribbers about as hollow as a 30-goal season from Michael Ryder, at least its a one-year deal and Posey gets to start the season in AAA. I still think the Giants should do the Longoria/Braun thing and call him up in mid-May. Kid's ready, regardless of what Sabes and Melonhead think.

Lineup isn't horrible, but hardly formidable:

CF Rowand
2B Sanchez
3B Panda
1B Huff
LF DeRosa
RF Schierholtz
C Molina
SS Renteria

Also, it looks as if Lincecum will set a record 13M in arbitration. At least it means Sabean can't throw down 13M on a Gary Matthews-type.

Isn't Molina still a very good defensive catcher with a great arm, and still calls games well?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:43 pm 
OTP Historian

Jays sign local pitcher and fellow Bishop Reding Royal Shawn Hill. Unfortunately, his career has been plagued by injuries and I think he might have already had two Tommy John's. His longest season and one that was still cut short due to injury, 2007, was a promising one but he was getting fuck all for run support from the Nats. Hopefully he can regain that form and play for the Jays.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=307212

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:32 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I wonder if sabermetrics accounts for stuff like this...?

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=307237

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:51 pm 
King of the One-Liner

the Toronto Tommy Johns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:19 pm 
OTP Historian

Mets Fail > Angels Fail?

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=307225

Quote:
It was reported earlier that the Angels will be paying a good portion of the $23 million remaining on the five-year, $50 million deal Matthews signed prior to the start of the 2007 season.

How much? 22 million of it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:09 am 
OTP Historian

us 679 part trois wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Way to go Hawk! Hope he goes in with an Expos hat.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=305229

Hawk says he would prefer to wear a cubs hat. But the hof has the final say.

Supposedly he's going in as an Expo:

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=307810

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

That's great as I remember watching him his whole career as an Expo. I hope Hawk is ok with this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 am 

us 679 part trois wrote:
That's great as I remember watching him his whole career as an Expo. I hope Hawk is ok with this.

I'd rather he go in as a Denver Bear.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:46 pm 
Big in Japan

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Road trip to Cooperstown!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:36 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

us 679 part trois wrote:

Apparently he found it "a little gut-wrenching."

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Daws ... story.html

Come on, man, you're in the Hall of Fame -- is it really such an insult to be wearing the hat of the team you played for longest?

Kind of comes off as a slap in the face to all those Expos fans in English Canada (and also the two in Quebec).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:14 pm 

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/San- ... eal-021210

Seriously? That's it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Av-merican wrote:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/San-Francisco-Giants-Tim-Lincecum-two-year-23-million-deal-021210

Seriously? That's it?

Those are arbitration years mind you, not free agency open market years. Good deal though, I was hoping for the rumoured 3/40.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:46 am 
Big in Japan

Pitchers and catchers report! And not a moment too soon, now that the Jock/Goat gong show in Montreal is about to get rolling.

In Vegas, the Giants are sitting as 15/1 odds to win the pennant, and 30/1 to win the series. They might do the former, since the Doyers are worse, the Pads suck, and the G's seem neither better nor worse than the Rox or DBacks.

I'm not digging Wellemeyer as the only guy standing in between Bumgarner and the 5th starter spot. Seems like they're rushing him - he's ready talent-wise but the workload might be too much.

Rowand showed up to camp 10 pounds lighter. He's still lousy.

Based on fangraphs, Posey's WAR would be 1.2 wins higher than Bengie if he starts. Ishikawa is a 1.4, Huff 0.8 (as a DH, not even counting his lousy D).

Sanchez 1.9, Uribe 1.6, Panda 5.2, Rowand 2.1, Nate 1.6, Fred 1.5, DeRosa 2.3, Bowker 2.0, Torres 1.4.

Pitching is a different story: Timmy will be the best pitcher in baseball at 7.9. Cain 4.2, Sanchez 3.1, Zito 2.7, Wilson 1.8, Bumgarner 1.7.

The most favorable prediction for Huff comes from Bill James: 20 HR's, 779 OPS. He has Ishikawa at 772, and Ishi is clearly a better glove. Ishi mashed at home, stunk on the road, so hopefully Melonhead mixes and manages. DeRosa is also clocking around the 770 area, which isn't horrible, but not a good trade off if his defence keeps slipping.

CHONE predicts an 805 OPS for Bowker if he plays. Only 782 for Nate (his D is better in RF though).

James' line for Lincecum is sweet: 18-7, 228.0 IP, 261K-80BB.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:04 am 
Loves The Cock

Dear E.L.,

Please ensure that a new baseball game is produced very soon that stops me from scouring the used bins for MVP 2005 and NCAA 2006. Because frankly, 2k sports don't know baseball...

Thanks,

Razz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:41 am 
Big in Japan

razzmatazz wrote:
Dear E.L.,

Please ensure that a new baseball game is produced very soon that stops me from scouring the used bins for MVP 2005 and NCAA 2006. Because frankly, 2k sports don't know baseball...

Thanks,

Razz

Do you have a PS3? The Show is a very good series.

Otherwise, Baseball Mogul is fun if you only want the stats and fantasy stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:13 am 
Loves The Cock

forget mogul, out of the park baseball is where its at for true sims. you control everything, and i mean EVERYTHING, in your organization...

got xbox360... i hear the show is good but wrong platform...

i'm hoping this year's offering from 2k is better...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:56 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Don't expect to see this when scouring my favourite hockey blogs, but here you go, E.L.:

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2010/ ... ian-sabean

Quote:
3) Sabean doesn't seem to have a clue about player valuation. He has signed many mediocre players to bad 3- or 4-year contracts, and normally, his crowning achievement would be Barry Zito's 7-year, $126 million dollar contract, which BZ has already underperformed by 40% in his first three seasons. Of course, Sabean also consummated this deal:

11/14/2003: P Joe Nathan, P Francisco Liriano and P Boof Bonser to Minnesota for C A.J. Pierzynski

Fangraphs estimates that Pierzysnki was worth about $2.3M more than the Giants paid him. Of course, Sabean non-tendered A.J. at the end of his first season in San Francisco. In true Giants fashion, they needed after-the-fact justification for releasing Pierzynski and the San Francisco Chronicle dutifully reported that he had kneed trainer Stan Conte in the nuts.

Regardless, the three players Sabean sent away for a mediocre catcher have already been worth $80 million to the Twins.

The bottom line: Brian Sabean is so incompetent that he gave away nearly $200 million in value through bad free agent signings and bad trades since the 2003 off-season. For this, he deserves to be fired.

I think for that trade Sabean should be elected to the Hall of Fame, personally. :twisted:

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next