OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official NBA thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:10 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Eh, the Suns were reasonably successful at it when Steve Nash was still good and D'Antoni was running things. The Nuggets ran the floor a lot too. It's an easy offense to shut down (the Spurs do it by basically running basketball's version of the trap, and rather masterfully I might add) so no matter what you gotta know how to play a half-court game. I just wish there could be more thinking outside the box.

And again, Tim Duncan gets away with MURDER in the paint, and then screams bloody murder the few times he gets called. There's one reason why IMO quick-strike offenses don't work, way too much inconsistency in the way the game's called.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:37 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

If 'star player has refs favour' makes you dislike a sport I guess there's always painting sunsets or learning to tie various knots as hobbies to take up one's spare time.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:50 pm 

saskhab wrote:
If 'star player has refs favour' makes you dislike a sport I guess there's always painting sunsets or learning to tie various knots as hobbies to take up one's spare time.

It's not the favoring that bothers me, it's the whining by said player that follows the rare call against. :lol: He should at least acknowledge now and again that he's going to get a few fouls here and there just to balance it out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:18 pm 

Andrew Wiggins goes number 1, first time two players from the same city have gone back to back as #1 and first time anyone but Americans have gone back to back as #1. The greater Toronto area is turning into quite the basketball factory with 5 picks from the area this year.

And I guess the Cavs are now Canada's national practice team. With Tristan Thompson (4th in 2011), Anthony Bennett (1st in 2012), Wiggins and they just traded for 2nd round pick Dwight Powell from Charlotte.

Really, looking forward to watching these guys play in the 2020 Olympics, its been a long time since Canada made that event and we should be the 2nd best team in the world by that point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:21 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Andrew Wiggins goes number 1, first time two players from the same city have gone back to back as #1 and first time anyone but Americans have gone back to back as #1. The greater Toronto area is turning into quite the basketball factory with 5 picks from the area this year.

And I guess the Cavs are now Canada's national practice team. With Tristan Thompson (4th in 2011), Anthony Bennett (1st in 2012), Wiggins and they just traded for 2nd round pick Dwight Powell from Charlotte.

Really, looking forward to watching these guys play in the 2020 Olympics, its been a long time since Canada made that event and we should be the 2nd best team in the world by that point.

I doubt that very much. We aren't even top 20 right now!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

I doubt that very much. We aren't even top 20 right now!

It's 6 years from now, Canada will have more NBA players than any other country other than the USA, #2 doesn't seem to unreasonable a stretch. This assumes they actually want to play for Canada, in recent years that's been a bit of a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:54 pm 

We'd still have way less bench strength than other teams. And we need to make sure a couple of these guys turn into legit stars first. We have no presence in the European leagues and not much of a Canadian circuit to develop our guys. That's how you develop a national program and consistent strength. Some of the Euro leagues have a decent amount of NBA caliber talent, there just aren't enough positions in the NBA to justify a greater exchange of players. Basically Euros have to be a certain level above a NBA player to invest in bringing them over rather than just using a NCAA player or veteran American. Much like how there are few Euros in the NHL on 3rd and 4th lines.

Hoops observers might very well look back in ten years and think 'what the heck was going on with all these high Canadian picks?'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:52 am 

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/7/8 ... play-anger

Cleveland TV stations are hard up for summer programming.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:42 am 

The Cavs have now unloaded a bunch of cap space in some trades.

As Bruce Arthur said, Cleveland sports heartbreak potential is rising.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:22 pm 

saskhab wrote:
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/7/8/5880513/cleveland-cavaliers-lebron-james-the-decision-replay-anger

Cleveland TV stations are hard up for summer programming.

One of those Twitter replies perfectly sums up Cleveland sports:

Quote:
Why don't you replay The Drive, The Fumble, and The Shot while you're at it.

:lol:

And that doesn't even touch upon what Indians fans have been through.

I once worked with a guy from Ohio who says here was there to witness The Drive in person. He remained very, very bitter about the whole affair.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:01 pm 

Quote:
To make the move I needed the support of my wife and my mom, who can be very tough. The letter from Dan Gilbert, the booing of the Cleveland fans, the jerseys being burned -- seeing all that was hard for them. My emotions were more mixed. It was easy to say, “OK, I don’t want to deal with these people ever again.” But then you think about the other side. What if I were a kid who looked up to an athlete, and that athlete made me want to do better in my own life, and then he left? How would I react? I’ve met with Dan, face-to-face, man-to-man. We’ve talked it out. Everybody makes mistakes. I’ve made mistakes as well. Who am I to hold a grudge?

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron ... -cavaliers

Cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:19 pm 

Oh man, the Cavaliers have the Heat's first round pick next year, too. :laap: :owned:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Happy LeBronukkah, Cleveland!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:40 pm 

How bad will the Lakers be? Pretty damn bad from the looks of things.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/10/17/ ... obe-bryant

Basically, the Lakers are going against every feasible basketball strategy. You drive the lane first, yes, but if that doesn't open up, you don't pull up for a jumper, you swing the ball back for an open 3. Unless their coach is used to coaching junior high teams and not professionals.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:21 pm 

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/6/10/8 ... e-warriors

This is amazing. The Cavs couldn't care less about defending anyone on the Warriors other than Curry or Thompson. And it's working, with comical results, really. They're leaving guys wide open, guys who can't shoot and are on the court to aid the Warriors elite passing and defending game. Guys that are undersized and if they do drive the net can be easily stuffed. Guys who have low shooting percentages from the 3 and mid-range. It allows them not to bite on pick and rolls, quick passes to these decoy options and other elements that have opened up Curry and Thompson all year to make the Warriors the top offensive team in the NBA.

And the Cavs, with basically just LeBron and a bunch of role players (their 2nd and 3rd best players are injured) are up 2 games to 1. LeBron is on the verge of perhaps the greatest individual accomplishment in any team sport in history.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:14 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

saskhab wrote:
LeBron is on the verge of perhaps the greatest individual accomplishment in any team sport in history.

LeBron is amazing. I don't watch the NBA except for the last game of the Finals usually but I've been watching him / the Cavs since the middle of the 2nd Round. That said, I'd still give the edge to Maradona for pretty much single handedly (pun intended) taking Argentina to the 1986 World Cup.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:17 pm 

RW wrote:
saskhab wrote:
LeBron is on the verge of perhaps the greatest individual accomplishment in any team sport in history.

LeBron is amazing. I don't watch the NBA except for the last game of the Finals usually but I've been watching him / the Cavs since the middle of the 2nd Round. That said, I'd still give the edge to Maradona for pretty much single handedly (pun intended) taking Argentina to the 1986 World Cup.

I don't know, man. Argentina generally isn't a slouch in down times. Cleveland won 33 games last year, and were in the basement the 3 years prior without LeBron before that modest gain. They traded two high picks for Kevin Love, who then got hurt in Round 1 of the playoffs. Now Kyrie Iriving, the best guy the Cavs had before LeBron/Love, got taken out of the playoffs in Game 1 of the Final. LeBron pretty much has to win 4 games on his own (in 6) against the top team in the league all year. He has 509 points in the playoffs so far. 2nd on the Cavs that is left is J.R. Smith at 194. Guys who were bench players all year are now starters (Shumpert, Thompson, and now Smith or Dellavedova).

There's such a huge dropoff in basketball after your top guys normally, the Cavs are just a non-playoff team now with LeBron replacing Irving as their best player.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:07 pm 

I'll give LeBron credit where credit is due, he very nearly did it. But Steph Curry is the kind of player who could get me interested in the NBA again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:13 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
I'll give LeBron credit where credit is due, he very nearly did it. But Steph Curry is the kind of player who could get me interested in the NBA again.

Yeah, having depth still matters even when up against LeBron. Probably a good thing, even though we like to see individual greatness.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Overlying on the best player in the league and sticking with a defensive system that stifled offence. Sounds familiar ....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next