OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB 2020 Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:59 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I just hate the state of baseball right now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:10 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
I just hate the state of baseball right now.

Fair. I think we're all kinda shocked they finished the season at all given how so many players didn't seem to give a shit about COVID. Then they celebrate by having a positive guy on the field and firing hundreds of employees industry-wide. Owners are misers through and through.

That being said, man it was fun to watch baseball this year with not much else to help pass the time. Once the games were on, I kinda forgot about everything else.

Free agency-wise, I'd be curious about Rusney Castillo and Yasmany Tomas. Highly touted Cubans who got punished and buried by their teams for being too expensive. But at league minimums, can these guys still contribute? Would love to see both redeem themselves. Not their faults they got overpaid.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:43 pm 
Big in Japan

No discipline for Dodgers 3B Justin Turner, who celebrated on the field with no mask after testing positive for COVID. Alex Cora, one of the architects of the Astros cheating scandal, has been re-hired as the manager of the Red Sox, and former Astros manager AJ Hinch is now the manager in Detroit. Fucking baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:37 pm 

E.L. wrote:
No discipline for Dodgers 3B Justin Turner, who celebrated on the field with no mask after testing positive for COVID. Alex Cora, one of the architects of the Astros cheating scandal, has been re-hired as the manager of the Red Sox, and former Astros manager AJ Hinch is now the manager in Detroit. Fucking baseball.

Yep. Baseball. This is why I don't care for it much anymore. Not that the NFL and NHL are upstanding organizations, but there's an extra layer of slime that has settled over the proceedings, and I think Selig and Manfred are shifty, corrupt, and spineless.

Again, I'll admit most of my malaise when it comes to baseball stems from my useless baseball team in Denver, but even if they were good I'd still be very apathetic over the state of MLB.

On a side note, the worst-run organization in professional sports, the New York Mets, just cleaned house. They recently changed ownership and finally got the horrible Wilpon family out the door, so it's clear the new guy wanted to start fresh. Hopefully Jacob DeGrom and Noah Syndergaard get dealt to real teams so their respective primes aren't wasted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:56 pm 
Big in Japan

The "ace" is back: Kevin Gausman accepts the Giants' qualifying offer after a week of flirting with other teams for a multi-year deal. It's 18.9M, which is a nice chunk of change, but he may forgo the payday for an extra year or two at a reduced annual rate. I wouldn't if I were him, unless he's worried about wrecking his arm: he's got a 97 mph fastball, the rare wipeout splitter and is pretty unhittable when he's on. Thought he was great in San Francisco and has a repeatable delivery with no stamina issues. Not sure why he hasn't been able to harness his stuff over a full season, but I suppose I'll find out now that he's guaranteed to be on the 2021 Giants roster.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:01 pm 
Big in Japan

Baseball HOF ballots are out, and it's slim pickings.

Another year of Bonds, Clemens, Schilling, Manny getting snubbed.

Rolen, Vizquel, Helton, Wagner probably the best of the rest. I'm rooting for Andruw Jones and Curacao but he won't get in.

Buehrle and Hudson had respectable careers. Abreu? Sheff?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:24 pm 

Hope Helton gets in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:40 pm 

Schilling, Clemens, Bonds all in their 9th try, how many do they get?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Fogghorn wrote:
Schilling, Clemens, Bonds all in their 9th try, how many do they get?

10. They keep inching their way closer every year, but it's believed there are enough hardliners to keep them out. It's possible Schilling gets in, because it's not steroids but his loud mouth, politics, and possible white collar crimes with his videogame company that have kept him out.

Walker and Jeter have yet to have their day, so no one would be sad if no one else got in this time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Theo Epstein resigns as president of the Cubs. Said he was already working on a 10 year mandate, decided to leave after 9 because he wanted GM Jed Hoyer steering the team as it maneuvers through COVID.

After bringing winners to the Sox and Cubs, where to next? I don't think Cleveland will pay for him to break their streak, so I'm going to say Detroit, San Diego or Anaheim.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:18 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Theo Epstein resigns as president of the Cubs. Said he was already working on a 10 year mandate, decided to leave after 9 because he wanted GM Jed Hoyer steering the team as it maneuvers through COVID.

After bringing winners to the Sox and Cubs, where to next? I don't think Cleveland will pay for him to break their streak, so I'm going to say Detroit, San Diego or Anaheim.

Even bigger news than that, Kim Ng becomes the first-ever woman to GM a major men's professional sports franchise, and the first Asian-American GM in baseball history.

Cannot believe I'm gonna be rooting for the frickin' Marlins of all teams next season, but here we are. She's got her work cut out for her--they'd better give her a legit shot at turning this around. She is also insanely qualified for the role, having worked at various levels and capacities in Major League Baseball for nearly thirty years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:14 pm 
Big in Japan

Oh true, totally forgot to mention Ng. As usual, the Fish are stacked with prospects, so the rebuild is well underway.

Wasn't a fan of Jeter's moves at first (dumping Yelich), but I think he's committed for a long haul rebuild so hopefully he doesn't get impatient.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:09 am 
Big in Japan

Did people forget Montreal's own Alex Anthopolous is quietly the most baller GM in baseball? Every other team is twiddling their thumbs and crying about money, while he went out and bolstered the rotation by getting Charlie Morton and Drew Smyly with no long-term commitment. Combined with Fried, Soroka and Anderson, they could have the best 1-5 in the NL.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:30 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Did people forget Montreal's own Alex Anthopolous is quietly the most baller GM in baseball? Every other team is twiddling their thumbs and crying about money, while he went out and bolstered the rotation by getting Charlie Morton and Drew Smyly with no long-term commitment. Combined with Fried, Soroka and Anderson, they could have the best 1-5 in the NL.

Never made any sense to me when the Jays brought in Shapiro and forced him out. It's like they learned nothing from the dark days of Riccardi.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:23 pm 
Big in Japan

If the Rays had kept Blake Snell in during his final start for them, they might have won the WS. Instead, he gets shipped out to San Diego for a prospect haul.

The Padres are going all out for Tatis Jr's pre-arb years. They got superstar Ha-Seong Kim out of Korea and are in on Darvish.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Mets get Lindor and Carrasco from Cleveland for one decent prospect, filler guy and two fliers. Small haul for the cost-cutting Spiders.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Japan's top pitcher Tomoyuki Sugano decides to stay home instead of coming over. Media suggested he got cold feet given America's COVID situation. He also had a very clear demand money wise (Kikuchi+) and teams just aren't willing to spend right now. Jays and Giants rumoured to be the front runners. Both have money to burn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:25 pm 
Old Man of the Post

E.L. wrote:
Japan's top pitcher Tomoyuki Sugano decides to stay home instead of coming over. Media suggested he got cold feet given America's COVID situation.

Can't say I blame him. He'd be going from a country that has handled COVID better than any nation to the mother-of-all COVID hot zones...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:14 am 
Big in Japan

New Mets GM Jared Porter admitted he sent dick pics to a woman journalist. Mets gonna Mets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:34 am 

E.L. wrote:
New Mets GM Jared Porter admitted he sent dick pics to a woman journalist. Mets gonna Mets.

Someone on Twitter pointed out it took Kim Ng 30 years to attain the position Porter holds now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next