OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2018 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:46 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Few things on this planet I hate more than a shitty youth sports coach. I consider myself lucky in a way that I was never good enough to make the A team in youth hockey, always on the B team. I think on the A team I would've just ridden the bench the whole time, on the B team they focus on skill-building and what not and so everyone plays.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:51 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Bosc wrote:
Granderson! Throws out the winning run at home and then hits the walk-off. What a signing he's been so far.

Reminds me of one of my good game memories from baseball growing up. This one season I had a coach who just played me in the outfield and sat me and never gave me a chance to do anything and this is house league. Wasn't having fun at all. My Mom absolutely lit into him one night seeing how miserable I was. I knew what kind of player I was and I wasn't trying to pitch or play shortstop all the time or something. So he finally started to give me a chance.

Anyways, one night I think we were tied and there was a guy on third with one out. Batter hits a one-hopper to me at first, I step on the bag and throw it home for the double-play. Bottom of the inning I knocked in the winning run with the bases loaded. Felt vindicated for the crappy season.

A few years later, I had another awful coach and I wasn't having fun anymore so I quit. And I still love to play when I have the opportunity, which hardly comes up.

Youth sports coaches often don't realize the impact they can have on a kid's entire life. I quit baseball because my coach was an asshole to me, blaming me for every loss, every run against, etc.... I still love my father, but he made me hate baseball. :lol: But afterwards, whenever he'd give me shit about being a weird kid, into punk rock and skateboarding, I'd remind him there were no coaches in either of those, and it was his fault I was into them. I can laugh about it now, but I was serious back then, and there's quite a lot of truth to it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:07 pm 
OTP Historian

Vladdy Jr. The sound off the bat. Holy fuck.

https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/992247445806505985

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:58 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Baseball is so effin' weird. The Rox are posting the worst offensive numbers in franchise history. This despite playing in the best hitter's ballpark of all time. Their pitching has been, for the most part, good. Again, playing in a HITTER'S ballpark. And despite these ridiculous deficiencies, they're 2 games out of 1st in the NL West and 3 games out of the NL lead period.