OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017 MLB Season
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:08 pm 
Big in Japan

I splurged on MLB.tv for the entire 2017 season, so expect me to spend quite a bit of my summer opining here.

I'm confident about the Giants this season. Was planning to see them in Pittsburgh on Canada Day weekend, but with the whole situation down South, I might change plans.

Giants have Posey, Belt, Pence, Craw, Panik, Bumgarner, Cueto, Shark, Moore, Span, Nunez all coming back. They've added Melancon at closer, along with Korean star Hwang. Top prospects Beede and Arroyo are almost ready - probably just need a month or two in AAA.

Post subject: Re: 2017 MLB Season
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:37 pm 
OTP Historian

Rule changes...

1. Clock? Just enforce the existing time limits on pitches. Who the fuck needs a clock. Umps can fucking count to 12 and 24 or whatever it is.
2. Smaller strike zone? Umps literally let the catchers make the calls for them. Let them call the zone as it is consistently before making any more stupid changes.
3. Mound visits by coaches. Fuck em. Coach to the mound means pitching change. These guys have such elaborate signs they can figure it out.
4. Mound visits by catchers/infielders. Fuck em. If a catcher or infielder reaches the mound, automatic free base and batter takes first.
5. Pitcher must call out the coach or trainer to the mound if they are hurt or need to be lifted and they must be lifted. They don't and the coach or trainer goes to the mound, pitching change.

Quicker pace, more offense, more chaos, more fun.

My more radical ideas are to not allow mid-inning pitching changes and to limit pickoff moves to one per pitch sequence. Attempted a pickoff? Can't do another until you've thrown a pitch. That would be a shitshow.

There is nothing I hate more in baseball than pitchers taking too long, then throwing multiple pickoffs, the catchers going out to have a chat and fucking midinning coaching visits and pitching changes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Goddamn Rockies better show us they're able to survive past May for once this decade.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:42 am 
Big in Japan

Loving the World Baseball Classic. Competitive, fast-paced, a few packed stadiums and lots of passion from the players.

Unfortunately, the WBC is blacked out for Canadian MLB.tv subscribers, so I've only caught a few games at my mom's. I've been watching the highlight packages, though.

It's a shame Canada has trouble attracting their best players, but they also shot themselves in the foot by being too loyal to vets. Dempster should never have started against the USA. Hopefully they get future Cy Young winners Paxton and Taillon in four years. (And Quantrill Jr. and Soroka)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:58 am 
Big in Japan

A Canadian Dream Team could've gotten lucky against Colombia, US or DR:

CF Pompey
C Martin
1B Freeman
DH Votto
2B Lawrie
LF Saunders
RF O'Neill
3B Wood
SS Pinero

SP: Paxton, Taillon, Pivetta, Albers

RP: Axford, Henderson, Gagne, Chapman, Zastyrny, Molleken, Loewen, Quantrill Jr.

Instead, they'll have to qualify back into the tournament.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:43 am 
Big in Japan

Nice article on my favourite ballplayer Buster Posey. He's about to turn 30 and hoping to stave off natural decline for a bit. He's put up a HOF resume so far, but he needs a few more great seasons.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/artic ... 025919.php